KFC Slaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its not at all unusual for restaurants around here to add sugar to their cornbread. I think its mostly Yankee cooks in the kitchen. We used to grow hickory king corn and grind our own cornmeal, grew up eating it and it never had sugar added. I'll ask at a restaurant before ordering if they put sugar in their corn bread, if they do I wont order it. Depends on what your used to I guess. Any ways, if you do get down this way, I'll let you have a bowl of pintos beans and cornbread, I'll even set out a bowl of sugar so you can sprinkle to your heart desire. But you cant put mayo in your beans, that's just gross.:omg:

Maybe it depends on the sugar content of the corn meal used?
I don't need my cornbread sugary-sweet, but I don't like it dry as dust either.
Mayo in beans??? Who on earth would do that? Sounds gross! :p
I have seen two people put mayo in their beans, both where from Virginia, must be a local thing up there. when I started working, I stayed in man camps complete with a cook. We had Pinto beans everyday for dinner. There was other food also, but you could count on that big pot of soup beans everyday. I eat so many beans I got sick of them. I wouldn't eat them at home. Now that I have retired, my wife fixes soup beans about once a week. Usually a small pot will last about two days. I got to missing them and have got to where I like them again. Its sort of amazing what you will see people put in their food. Different taste form different areas of the country. Kind of like sweet tea in the south. When you order tea around here, its automatically assumed you want sweet tea. Head north or Illinois and Indiana and you cant find sweet tea. People will look at you funny if you order sweet tea. They will give you unsweet and a few packets of sweet and low

We went to Gettysburg a few ago. Stayed at a Hampton Inn that had a breakfast bar where they actually cooked to order. There was a guy there doing the cooking and when they took our order, he asked where we where from. He could tell by our accent, that we where from the south. Turns out he was from SC around Charleston, (think of geechee), I forget the name of the town, but I had worked there before so I knew just where he was talking about. Of course we got to talking about my order. I had ordered hashbrowns with onions. He said, you know, since he had moved to Pa. he had not had anybody order hashbrowns with onions. Anyway, he fixed up some of the best hashbrowns I had had in a long time. I aint talking those stringy hashbrown like you find at waffle house, I'm talking chunks of taters. We stayed there a few days and every morning when he seen me coming, he started frying the taters and onions before I even ordered.

Almond paste, Yuck! o_OI love almonds roasted or in candies, but prefer pecans in pies and cakes. I had the wonderful ideal once to have some almonds ground into a almond butter like peanut butter. I couldn't find anything I could eat it with. Almond butter and jelly does not a sandwich make. The meat and three is sort of a mom and pop stable. Usually you have a choice of several vegetables to make your three. Green beans where a staple of the south. You can grow a lot of beans in a small area and preserve them in a multiple of ways. Canned and pickled was the most popular, but I have strung up many a bushel for leather britches. It wasn't unusual for grandma's to put up a 100 qts a year. I don't know how long beans would last once canned, but several years seemed to be the norm. Most folks didn't have freezers even 50 years ago so canning was the only way to preserve garden veggies. Everybody had a can house, usually a dugout with a roof or in a partial basement hand dug under the house. They would keep all their canned goods there as well as their taters, pumpkins, squash and that sort of thing. The can house was a goof place for little boys to get into trouble. Got one of the worst whooping I ever remember from my great granny because I got into her canned grapes. Boy that juice was good, but the switch she used on my little legs as she chased be back to grandma's house I will never forget. Also wont forget my first cigar stolen from my grandpaw and smoked in the canhouse. I turned green and puked myself half to death. Didn't get whooped for that one, grandpaw was to busy laughing and telling me to smoke another one.:cheers:

I remember the name of the town that cook in Pa was from. GooseCreek SC, Just north of Charleston SC a little ways.

:heart: ... except for the Yuck to almond paste!! I'm half Sicilian and I love almond paste - good in cakes, cookies, and the best, marzipan candy. Here's some of the goodies I've made with it Marzipan olives for Saint Agatha's Day
View attachment 833142
Marzipan Pigs for Easter
View attachment 833143
Cracked Amaretti Cookies
View attachment 833144

hey TNT - these Yanks don't know beans about marzipan! but I sure do. used to live in England and my mother was a trained cake decorator. actually did a cake for the Royal Family. a really big deal at the time!! marzipan is delightful stuff... especially with a hint of almond paste in it, too.

first got into French fries (chips) and vinegar over there, too. the fish in chips made back then in beef tallow rendered... just had to have a dash of vinegar splashed on them.

you seem to be quite the baker! ;)

Wow - a cake for the Royal Fam!! That is impressive!
I think all the finest bakers know the magic of almond paste.
There was a German bakery in the town I grew up in, upstate NY, that made heavenly little marzipan pigs for the holidays.
And a German lady here in TN had a spectacular little restaurant for a year or two - the local yahoos didn't have the taste buds to truly appreciate her skills - authentic German food on the menu, but her deserts were to-die-for. Asked her to make a birthday cake for my mom one year that was amazing.

I've always enjoyed baking, but a couple years ago I joined a Sicilian FB group and I have learned SO much since then about cooking ad baking. A wonderful group of over 15,000, mostly women, who are very supportive of each other. Refreshing.
View attachment 834024
PS In case you're wondering about the fruit cake over there on the right... mom's birthday was December 24. :)
TNT - I could tell by your baking 'end products' wasn't ur first time ck'g out... ABC's of Baking cookbook. lol. and I like fruitcake, too. my mom used to make them over in the UK at Xmas time... with a Xmas scene with snow on top. I always liked it when she baked a cake... and with the 220-v to 110-v rransformers sometimes the oven dint carry the mix totally well, and it would fall!

thick, rich baked cake batter... better than a scone. well, imo...
yes - for the Royal Family... she wrote them, offered for the event, and they accepted. was hot news at time time. and went global in the Stars& Stripes newspaper... Dad was in USAF

I’ll eat just about anything

lot of tasting treats out there! ;) had one this evening myself. a genuine Georgia peach... no, not that kind! lol and fresh as a new day. and perfectly delicious. fresh in from Ga. and added it to some BB Homemade vanilla ice cream. film at 11

omg, and extreme treat!

I will go so far as to say I like most things, but to say 'i'd eat just about anything...!' well, ...

fresh Georgia peaches... juicier than straight out of a can...
PB160002.JPG

ps: TNT I have seen fruit, such as these done in marzipan.

lot of tasting treats out there! ;) had one this evening myself. a genuine Georgia peach... no, not that kind! lol and fresh as a new day. and perfectly delicious. fresh in from Ga. and added it to some BB Homemade vanilla ice cream. film at 11

omg, and extreme treat!

I will go so far as to say I like most things, but to say 'i'd eat just about anything...!' well, ...

fresh Georgia peaches... juicier than straight out of a can...
View attachment 834249

ps: TNT I have seen fruit, such as these done in marzipan.
Ok, maybe anything was going a little far. I’m not picky though and i’ll try anything twice. :yes:

Back