ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Kids these days

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by svk, Sep 4, 2019.

1. svk

svk A little bit of everything

You ever watch a group of kids get off the school bus? A solid half of them are overweight. I'm only 39 but even when I was a kid there were very few kids carrying any extra weight until college.

Now I know certain folks have hormone issues or genuine weight issues, which is no laughing matter. But man, I would hate to see the looming health problems caused much earlier in life by lack of exercise and poor dietary choices.

2. U&A

U&A Addicted to ArboristSite

America gets more obese every year. It is bad. Take a trip to Europe and you will be amazed at how FEW people are over weight.

It is a conspiracy. Seriously.

All linked to big brother and dependency.

FDA

There is a LOT of dirt on the subject.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM

3. sb47

sb47 Addicted to ArboristSite

When I was a kid we had all kinds of sports and physical education everyday at school. No so anymore.
    My parents would kick us out of the house and make us go outside and play. We lived in a rural area so everyone was a long way from each other and we walked or road bicycles everywhere.
    We had to walk a mile each way to the buss stop everyday. We also had farm chores to do everyday, we had to feed and take care of animals and work in the garden everyday. None of us were fat, we were all skinny kids.
    When I was planting trees for new construction (new homes) these gated community's had beautiful playgrounds for the kids in the neighborhood to play on. I never saw any kids at those playgrounds, because they were all inside playing on there play stations and the internet.

4. bayard

bayard ArboristSite Guru

in my day we never stopped moving. lawn cutting, sledding etc.

5. unclemoustache

unclemoustache My 'stache is bigger than yours.

Yes, it's sad to see.
    My kids are all great. I kick them out all the time, make them work their butts off. Today they were raking, splitting wood, loading stuff into the truck, etc.

My son Thor was getting a bit chunky, so we all started doing some running. That helped. Then he hit puberty and virtually overnight he lost it all and got slender. Now he wants to bulk up. With a name like Thor, he feels he has to look the part a bit!

6. svk

svk A little bit of everything

GMO’s, super size meals, and way too many carbs!!!

Plus they’ve jacked the prices way up on healthy stuff.

old CB, deaves61, U&A and 2 others like this.
  7. aokpops

aokpops Addicted to ArboristSite

I watch that an seen this people at the old folks home would move faster . Than kids getting on school bus . The word robust would frighten them . I'm going to fix the house best I can an . Theses dumb asses that lived off of mommy daddy . An grandpa an granmaw so long . I am just so tried of watching this . The only thing that will happen they will starve before they work . The trades got dumb down to bad point . Any one want to fix it ?

stihlaficionado likes this.
  8. PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman Addicted to ArboristSite

On my current U-12 soccer team I see some kids who are fit as heck and can run laps and do pushups like nothing, if I threaten to make the team run laps because someone is talking while I'm talking these kids are actually happy and say "yeah, let's do it!" lol! Then I have a few that I feel like I need to put them in my Bronco and drive them around the field, and usually those are the ones that the parents sign up "to get them away from the video games", seriously that is what they either put down on the registration card and/or tell me.

I have one now that has all kinds of issues, behaviour and mental problems, short attention span etc. While the team was running a big lap before practice he was walking and in last place, I yelled his name and said "let's go, get moving" and he tells me "I'm conserving energy" so I yelled "you'll conserve energy sitting on the bench during Saturday's game", told his mother about it, she talked to him again and at the next practice he asked "can we do the laps before practice". It was very hot out that day so I said "I'm not going to make you run the whole field, just a small lap" as I don't need to kill them and get sued and jail time so we did a small lap and he was somewhat better, but he is a CONSTANT issue.

On the other side of the coin are some of the kids who played football or wrestle. We had a kid from the other team tell me in the handshake line after our first game last week "one of your players told me "you suck" so of course we addressed it and apologized but no one admitted to saying it. The one kid who played football said "I think we should run laps until someone confesses" and I said "well you'd run to Canada because no one will" and he says to me "Coach, it's only puke!" lol!!!!

But back to your point I agree, I see some in soccer that are in great shape, and some that I could outrun at almost 59 years old and that's sad, it's not healthy for them!!

svk, bayard and stihlaficionado like this.