KIlled one in the woodshed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipper1081

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well I killed a black snake in the shed today. First one ever, shed is only 3 years old. About 4 feet long as round as a roll of quarters shot its head off with a shotgun. Before you guys say it "dont kill black snakes" I kill them all the only good snake is a DEAD one. They are on the move it was 89 degrees on Sunday,

Well I killed a black snake in the shed today. First one ever, shed is only 3 years old. About 4 feet long as round as a roll of quarters shot its head off with a shotgun. Before you guys say it "dont kill black snakes" I kill them all the only good snake is a DEAD one. They are on the move it was 89 degrees on Sunday,

I have to say it " don't kill black snakes". They are good pest control, the reason it was there was probably to eat mice/rats living in the wood. I always wondered why a full grown person would be scared of a little snake?

Sorry man! Shouldn't have killed it.

Black snakes are great for rodent control. Ain't too many places a rodent can go that the snake can't go.

Black snakes also keep away copperheads and rattlers. Black snakes are very territorial and will bully those other species away from the area.

We use to catch those black snakes when I was a kid. Caught a few about 6ft long and as big around as my arm (back then)

We use to walk around the neighborhood with them wrapped around our neck and shoulders. Some of them tame down quickly once they realize you won't hurt them. Use to freak out all the neighbors!

Others wouldn't tame down at all. Their bite doesn't hurt much at all. Actually feels like when you get some blackberry thorns stuck in you. I use to take up a collection of money to let everyone watch one bite me. It was easy money. The blood made the bite look worse than it was.

Black snakes are good to have around and don't hurt a thing.

Last edited:
Two snakes you NEVER kill: black snakes and king snakes (aka saltn pepper snakes, among others...lots of different types of king snakes out there). Kings kill copperheads, mice, rats, etc. Blacks do tangle with copperheads too, and sometimes win. Plus all the mice and rats. How fraking long does it take to look at a snake to tell if it is poisonous or not???

EDIT: Just like spiders. I for the life of me do not understand why so many people are afraid of spiders. The ones you don't see are the ones that will get ya. Yet, I see 200+ pound men scream like little girls when they see a 1/4 ounce spider.

Last edited:
Two snakes you NEVER kill: black snakes and king snakes (aka saltn pepper snakes, among others...lots of different types of king snakes out there). Kings kill copperheads, mice, rats, etc. Blacks do tangle with copperheads too, and sometimes win. Plus all the mice and rats. How fraking long does it take to look at a snake to tell if it is poisonous or not???

I know you prolly wont believe it but I saw a picture of a large copperhead eating a also large speckled king snake a customer took the picture the two snakes were under his driver side door on the ground. Thee king was halfway down the copperheads mouth and he killed it.

i for one do not like snakes. im not afraid and i wont run and scream i just don't like them, same with larve and bugs. i kill them all.:greenchainsaw:

Well, I'm on zipper's side on this one. If I see a snake I kill it, period.
How long does it take to see if a snake is poisonous or not? I don't know, I've never taken that much time. It's kinda like how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop.
I've stepped on too many water mocasin's to care to take the time to identify one, untill after it's dead.

Andy

Well, I'm on zipper's side on this one. If I see a snake I kill it, period.
How long does it take to see if a snake is poisonous or not? I don't know, I've never taken that much time. It's kinda like how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop.
I've stepped on too many water mocasin's to care to take the time to identify one, untill after it's dead.

Andy

Awwwwwwwwwww heck they just want to be you friend friend lol

I guess it has a lot to do with how you are brought up. I was told to never kill a black or guarder snake. They definitely kill a lot of rodents. But to each their own.Lots of people are scared to death of snakes and rats. I am not scared of them,but if the catch me off guard I get startled sometimes.

I guess it has a lot to do with how you are brought up. I was told to never kill a black or guarder snake. They definitely kill a lot of rodents. But to each their own.Lots of people are scared to death of snakes and rats. I am not scared of them,but if the catch me off guard I get startled sometimes.

No skeerd ok your in the front of the boat checking the limb lines and yo yo,s then ok? I ain't skeerd either but I have a tough time seeing these days and baiting the yo yo,s at night is peta with all our cottonmouth so come on down I usually catch 50 to 100 pounds a night with a 100 hooks set. Please do not shoot a hole in the bottom of my bass boat if one slides off the limbs into the boat which will likely happen usually does:monkey:

Really guy's, I'm not a chicken :censored:, I just don't like snakes.
I mean year before last I smacked a 300 lb black bear up side the head with a metal bowl to get him off the porch, so I don't think I'm a chicken :censored:. I have to admit that wasn't too smart though.;)

I don't have to worry too much about snakes at 8600' elevation, so your snakes are pretty much safe, unless I happen to come out of the hill's.

Andy

my boy found a whole bunch of garder snakes on saturday when we were out doing a prarie burn. Found a bucket and saved them from the fire. not gonna have alot of rodents around my place this summer

Really guy's, I'm not a chicken :censored:, I just don't like snakes.
I mean year before last I smacked a 300 lb black bear up side the head with a metal bowl to get him off the porch, so I don't think I'm a chicken :censored:. I have to admit that wasn't too smart though.;)

I don't have to worry too much about snakes at 8600' elevation, so your snakes are pretty much safe, unless I happen to come out of the hill's.

Andy

Lol leave them honey bears alone cubs are cute :laugh:I have seen them in the 600 plus pound range here.

Auh dud snakes are cool

Cheetos-1.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7--tOSB7aZ8

Can't fix a title huh?

2637728339.jpg

Last edited:
The only water moccasin I ever seen was at Fort Being chasing an E1 down a ditch at the PT field. Apparently it was the first one he ever seen as well, he was screaming like a 4 year old girl. We sure are tough in our youth. I consider snakes good neighbors. With that being said I live in an area with no poisonous snakes.

The only snakes I would consider killing are copperheads and timber rattlers (the only venomous snakes in my AO) and only if they were around the house where they could hit the kids or dogs. Otherwise, let them be as they do much more good than harm. Now spiders and yellow jackets are fair game no matter where they may be around the homestead. Speaking of spiders, those big asses brown wolf spiders just love my wood piles!

Get a nice big Tom Cat! I walked out the house to leave for work a few years ago and there was a BIG bull snake right by the side of my truck in the driveway. My cat not only killed it but it was eating the damn thing.

Get a nice big Tom Cat! I walked out the house to leave for work a few years ago and there was a BIG bull snake right by the side of my truck in the driveway. My cat not only killed it but it was eating the damn thing.

lol it can go both ways and that ain't no bull snake lol

Back