ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

KIS,S keep it simple, stupid (wood stove in shed)

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ok, stapled up some double bubble, and cut some spacers from conduit. screws and washers, and a hunk of tin. Spaced off the studs by a inch. Results?
IMG_0025.jpg IMG_0026.jpg IMG_0027.jpg
Sheet metal is open at bottom to encourage convection. I found my old ir thermometer, and measured the stove running right around 600 F. The sheet metal was down a bit from that running around 250 F, and the stud behind the steel was running 120 F at the hottest. I will relax some now.
The opening thru the roof is definitely another crude install, but the pipe has cooled some by then, and it is only a 4" pipe. I will consider a short piece of 6" around the 4", and bracketed to the OSB. that would reduce the radiation to the exposed edge... Eventually.

To be perfectly honest, I have seen wood stove installs a LOT more rough than this one. Yes, I know a few of them became :blob2:

U&A

Addicted to ArboristSite
AWSOME!!!

I plan to make a little shed like that with one of my home made stoves in it. Weld a flat plate to the top of that propane tank to set pots on.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM

Bob Hedgecutter

Bob Hedgecutter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AWSOME!!!

I plan to make a little shed like that with one of my home made stoves in it. Weld a flat plate to the top of that propane tank to set pots on.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM
Or to sit crankcase halves on so you can grab the bearings from out the freezer and drop them straight into the case halves. ;)

anlrolfe

Honor GOD, Country and Corps
That'll work.
I'd consider another sleeve up high to, maybe even some mineral wool or drywall. Hate to see those rough edges of OSB turn into embers. As you said, a sleeve of larger pipe extending down probably plenty good.
Down low, consider Cement backer board like Durock. At least one piece on the floor(w/spacer). 2 layers on the walls with a spacers. The outer layer allow for air inlet down low by cutting holes, leave notches or using spacers to lift off floor.

ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
That pipe is single wall?

I'd use a proper 3 wall chimney.
A 3 or 4ft length isn't overly expensive.

Single wall needs at least 18" clearance.

You also need something on the floor. Plate of steel or concrete board.

Look up pyrolysis.