knee pain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgia

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I use spikes a lot on takedowns and the inside of my knees get bruised often (because the spikes cut out when climbing hardwood). However, no knee problems yet.

My boss is 60, still climbing every day . . . . been climbing every day for 30 years and has minimal knee pain. Mainly has ankle pain though (from a motorcycle accident 20 years ago). :angel:

Steve

Are your spikes PROPERLY sharpened? I know too many climbers who walk on concrete with their gaffs and never sharpen them. I learned how to sharpen my gaffs at the proper angle (from the inside, maintaining the same angle) from the start and never had a problem kicking out. Sometimes I would get stuck on soft half-rotten cabbage palms, but thats a small price to pay for not kicking out.

I would like to know a bit about other climber set ups,;gaffs,what types of pads,what size boots,(10'' or 16" boots). For the last few years my Bashlin Aluminum have the Euc Pads,and I wear 12" boots from Bailieys.I see alot about the Super Wrap Pad,but have yet to give them a go. Went into a pawn shop hunting for old guitars and found my Bashlins,Brand new and I gave only $125 for them,what a deal.:p

I use Bashlins with Weaver's equivalent to the Euc pads and take a wrap on the shank with the bottom strap. If I'm going to be on gaffs for a good part of the day, I wear 16" Wesco highliners. I have another pair of 10" highliners that aren't bad if I'm just going up to set a pull line or some other work prior to removal. When I get on the ground the short pieces of heater hose go right back on the gaffs.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention- Bailey's Red Dawgs are comfy boots and priced right, but for me they don't hold up on gaffs. I like them when I'm on rope, though.

I have the Wolf gaffs and they are very comfortable. I am not to happy with the ratcheting straps though, in winter they are a pain in the but.

Well worth the $275 or so I paid.

Back