Knife Maintenance 9" Mitts Merrill Drum Chipper Help Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmallaire

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a Mitts & Merill M11 wood chipper which I have been receiving help on from another post. I made this post because I want specific information regarding the knives and cutter bar installation and adjustment procedures. I removed both the knives on the drum along with the cutter bar. I am sending out the knives to be sharpened along with the cutter bar to be re-surfaced.

The knives are held in with wedges. Each wedge has a dowel pin which inserts into a recessed hole into the knife. I am wondering if the dowel pin inserted into the hole in the knife does all of the work as far as aligning the height when you tighten the bolts into the wedge. I am not sure how to align and adjust the knife to the drum, it does not look to be adjustable to my understanding.

I am also looking for help on how to properly set the cutter bar.

Does anyone know of a source with step by step instructions?

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG-0960.JPG
    IMG-0960.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG-0963.JPG
    IMG-0963.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG-0965.JPG
    IMG-0965.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG-1099.JPG
    IMG-1099.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG-1100.JPG
    IMG-1100.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
Hello everyone,

I have a Mitts & Merill M11 wood chipper which I have been receiving help on from another post. I made this post because I want specific information regarding the knives and cutter bar installation and adjustment procedures. I removed both the knives on the drum along with the cutter bar. I am sending out the knives to be sharpened along with the cutter bar to be re-surfaced.

The knives are held in with wedges. Each wedge has a dowel pin which inserts into a recessed hole into the knife. I am wondering if the dowel pin inserted into the hole in the knife does all of the work as far as aligning the height when you tighten the bolts into the wedge. I am not sure how to align and adjust the knife to the drum, it does not look to be adjustable to my understanding.

I am also looking for help on how to properly set the cutter bar.

Does anyone know of a source with step by step instructions?

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Hi. The blades are actually aligned where they touch the bottom side of the drum to keep them from rocking back and forth. The distance to the anvil( cutting bar) on that model is about .01-.03 in clearance.

Latest posts

Back