Knots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Shaffer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone have good suggestions for learning different knots and rigging? Books or any good websites

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c5a31dad1f507e1169f5f5a8fc6bc0f8.png

yep, what Racharben said, Educated climbers website has a great set of clear video tutorials for many knots, and he recently re released the book by GF Beranek, the fundamentals of general tree work.
both in digital, and soft cover, I have a copy of the soft cover and its a great book to have and they did a great job of it.

https://www.educatedclimber.com/beranek-fundamentals/

All excellent, is there a specific question, family or utility?
Educated Climber, as stated, specifically Ashley's Book of Knots as ' bible' defacto standard reference
Roo's Notable Knot Index is amazing lightweight minimal journey to well laid out topics
Mark Gommer's Professional Association of Climbing Instructors worth a visit

Mechanics of Friction in Rope Rescue (and therefore in any ropework)
Ropelab physics
Adding 2more long, strong, standards:
Dave Root Neocities
Net Knots
edit: adding US Military Filed Manual: fm5-125: Rigging Techniques, Procedures and Applications
Some knots, seems a unique 'Speir'/pg.49 slip knot (have only used in tie downs, but very sound and in a military bare bonz manual)
But is all rope work, that is inclusive of knots. Same science and lessons all the way thru, rigging just lets you see what is going on in the usually, hidden/ closed microcosm of a knot. But other wise, same force geometries (absolute key) in same material. Amazing, simple, clean, collection to target, with many rope lessons of knots, even when no knots seen, the principles scream out, from in between the lines/forces implied.
Ropes were loaded onto a great ship,
but in use were called a line, to me; that is a line of force.

"Knots at Work" & "Tree Climbers Companion" by Jeff Jepson are great for learning knots and their applications in tree rigging and climbing.
-Educated Climbers Website is a cohesive resource with video demonstrations.
I second this, knots at work is a great reference, any of Jeff's books I would strongly recommend. I'd add the art and science of practical rigging, Sharon Lilly

I have another one called "all the knots you need" it's great if you're looking to expand your knot arsenal.

Back