Know when to stop cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My face cut was a little deep, but okay. My back cut was starting to shrink my hinge beyond what I figured I needed. I stopped, looked at it, and thought this should be falling. Went to get a couple of wedges and as I was walking away the tree began to fall. I usually inspect my hinge afterwards and it was a bit thinner then I like to see. I normally put wedges in as I go, but this tree was a bit small even for an 8" wedge. Patience! And don't try and force it with more cutting.

I’ve been there with a nice tall and Straight Maple in my woods. Figured this would be gravy work.

Did what I thought was a nice face cut then back cut and she just stood there and did not want to move either direction.

I had to wedge the piss out of her and just wait and watch.

Obviously what I thought looked like good face cut and back cuts I did something a little off.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I rarely use the standard wedge or humboldt cut, I always try and use an open face and finish with a plunge cut coming out the rear.
Just saying this is a very safe way to tell a tree for us non logger types. Is also one of the safest ways to fell a leaner as well.

Back