Knuckle Boom - What should I be looking for

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raithi

Reaction score
Im looking into kbooms to do some logging and milling on a couple of non adjoining properties I have, using the lumber for personal use, but on a pretty large scale. However I'm not looking for a truck, but unmounted behind cab model, something like a prentice 120 model because I really want to mount it on my 5 ton. Some of my property is "rough terrain" at best of times, and this old truck powers through it like a beast, 6 wheel drive with diff lockers on 2 of the 3 axles and a 20,000lb front pto winch. Those old military trucks are super under rated for capacity too. Ive put 35,000 lbs on it and it still wasn't squatting and rode smooth. It would make a killer on / off road logging truck, at least for my purposes, and I already have the truck.

To get more to the point, I don't know alot about knuckle booms. I'm not looking for anything fancy like continuous rotation or that jazz, though I would like a joystick I think rather than levers.

So what sort of brands / models would you guys recommend as well as pricing and condition / things to look for when checking one out for behind cab mounting?

Hey I might have just what you are looking for I'd have to see what my boss wants for it. Plus he don't know it's for sale yet, haha. Anyways our old grapple truck is a falling apart piece of junk.... it has a Prentice 120 on it pretty functional is has a few leaks in/on the turret, but we run it as is.. it's mounted on a 86 ford tandem got a cat motor and auto trans. Slow and steady wins the race.... it does OK off road depending on how off road we r talking... I kinda think it might be a buy the boom get the truck for free thing... plus it's got a grapple body on it you could probably use. We are about 20 miles west of Chicago and you could drive it home. I'm not sure I'll see my boss until next week but I'll try to remember to ask him. Just curious what kinda price range r u looking for? Have you researched at all?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Back