knuckleboom crane truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have to say AA puts a little bit of a show on for you guys I think he likes the fire he gets out of you guys when he shows one of his guys crashing his stuff into his trailer or something like that. but in all he's not a bad guy if he needs help we usually don't mind he pre bids it into his prices.

municipal contracts usually do go to the lowest bidder thats a lot of the reason we run all the fancy stuff so we can knock it out a lot faster than the guy standing behind us. Its not the best work but it does help pay the bills. its usually done with buckets and is mostly on street work thats pretty much why i put together a second crew.

as far as my crew we definetly do screw around a little bit i don't really try and kill myself anymore the guys that work with me have been with me from the beginning 7+ years. i try and take it easier on my body this days i got a good ways to go before retirement and am hoping not to need a wheelchair to get around after 20+ years of messing in trees.

Ya im not doing bad at it still not rich yet bet hoping to be their someday my ability to buy equipment like this is almost because of me starting so young when i bought my first bucket i was 20 years old had no kids no house payment and pretty much knocked that payment out in no time so when it was time to move into the k-booms and what not i had a good head start. and also took some real make it or break it loan risks in the first couple years but things seem to have gotten stable and a lot less stressful.

a lot of the work we do is crappy work like clearing hillsides we seem to do about 20-30 of them a year and are the only ones interested in doing them it seems like but it is good money. the one you seen in the video had a retaining wall below those trees that was at least 10 foot deep we where tied in while cutting those trees just out of the fear of slipping and falling down in their we would have had to use the boom to get someone out.

for municipal contracts we usually just bid the removals their seems to be some $$ in them if you can get rid of them in a decent amount of time. to do all the pruning the certs and stuff you have to follow for the money in it sometimes just isn't worth it.

davey bid 15$ an hour at pittsburgh international airport this year for a bucket and operator how someone could do that i just don't know. i was their during the bid opening and most where right in par with me anywhere from 85-125$ per hour. i went to the bid opening and everyone was in shock.

Sadly enough I know how Davey does it.

Sadly enough I know how Davey does it.

How is it man because it really does baffle me at some of the stuff they bid we where scratching are heads at like 40$ an hour for crane and operator and like 20 for chipper and operator? i mean i don't know how you couldn't loose money because i think you even have to pay prevailing wages.

seems like if they had 2 buckets their and a few cranes they would be lucky to make 500$ in a day

Last edited:
I churn the cream and make butter for my bread ...

Once I discovered the modus operendi of the d i c k clique that operates like kindergardeners I decided to make them my virtual playthings. When matching wits with me they are hoplessly disarmed. They bring rubber band guns to a real gunfight.

I like the idea of 101 coming to our neighborhood. Can I hang him on the ball and run the remote?

And yah, what's up with Davey Tree? I ran up against them and they bid under a grand on a job I bid at $1500. The customer told me that and I sugested they hire them. I never lower a bid once given, even when customers tell me the other bids.

Your gear gives you a real advantage in pricing jobs, especially now with your K-boom. Crew costs can kill me if I'm not careful so I usually bid very high. I figured out early on that I'm better off doing 2 ~ 3 jobs a week at high prices than trying to work 5 ~ 6 days a week on low bid jobs.

I try to skim the cream off of this market, leaving the curds and whey for the low-ballers like Davey and others.

posted from my iPad will having latte on the couch

Last edited:
I have now seen it all, AA comparing himself to Davey.

LOL.........No, LOLROFLMMFAO

Danno, I am tracking with ya, they do it here 2. Matt, its about that exposure.

They did a huge pruning job here for free. It was on a huge, maybe the busiest intersection in my area. They had their flag ship bucket truck right at the corner, so all could see. Guy I know that works there said that their branch seen a huge increase in calls for a few weeks after. Davey does very little advertising here, except for deals like that. Then they slam ya. Bid against them for a white oak on the ground (uprooted) They bid it for 5g's, the HO told me up front. He said that he knew that there was no way it should be that much. I would have bid it at 1500, and it would have taken a half day. If they are throwing prices like that, and I see them working everyday, then the low bids are mixed in. As long as their branch net profit is where it is supposed to be, the head shed doesn't care. Big company's like that are OK with 9-11% net profit. They do so much volume that that number equals millions every year.

Once I discovered the modus operendi of the d i c k clique that operates like kindergardeners I decided to make them my virtual playthings. When matching wits with me they are hoplessly disarmed. They bring rubber band guns to a real gunfight.

I like the idea of 101 coming to our neighborhood. Can I hang him on the ball and run the remote?

And yah, what's up with Davey Tree? I ran up against them and they bid under a grand on a job I bid at $1500. The customer told me that and I sugested they hire them. I never lower a bid once given, even when customers tell me the other bids.

Your gear gives you a real advantage in pricing jobs, especially now with your K-boom. Crew costs can kill me if I'm not careful so I usually bid very high. I figured out early on that I'm better off doing 2 ~ 3 jobs a week at high prices than trying to work 5 ~ 6 days a week on low bid jobs.

I try to skim the cream off of this market, leaving the curds and whey for the low-ballers like Davey and others.

posted from my iPad will having latte on the couch

Listen you sheep ####### ###### ###### I am not gonna report your liver spotted ### for that comment or anything so don't worry about it , I will come to your neighborhood park in your driveway and make you and john boy wash my truck and hold my ciggy for me ..... Don't think because I like Matt that you can even chime in on a conversation between real tree workers and mention my name or threaten me , in reality and here you may be a #### ####### ##### ###### and thats that so buzz off ....

How is it man because it really does baffle me at some of the stuff they bid we where scratching are heads at like 40$ an hour for crane and operator and like 20 for chipper and operator? i mean i don't know how you couldn't loose money because i think you even have to pay prevailing wages.

seems like if they had 2 buckets their and a few cranes they would be lucky to make 500$ in a day

Yeah, some of it is based on the same theory you mentioned about the large quantity of work municiple contracts offer. It makes sense but I was never good at doing the limbo. The business office workers don't have to be either, that's what the guy's doing the work are for.
To me, municiple contract is a bad word.

Now do you know for a fact Davey bid what they bid or did you here that from the grapevine? Still, they had to have bid lower than you right?

There are government programs ( kickbacks? Subsidies?) for companies with minorities. Involve yourself with them and it will be your trucks on the White House lawn. These programs are a large part of how it gets done. Really, after you get your ducks in a row all you have to do is send 5 guys out, cut one branch and be able to retire.

Also, just because a guy writes on the bid sheet " 15 per hour" that doesn't mean the invoice won't be padded. 15 an hour? Well how many hours is it gonna take? In the end you will see there are actually 25 hours in a day.
This works another way: lets say you bid crew and equipment for 900 a day. They roll in with everything for about half a day then roll out leaving a guy to rake it up for 15 an hour. They made the 900 + 15 an hour + whatever the crew managed to stuff in before they keeled over.

jeez, there are a lot of tricks, a lot of lines to fill in.No, I only know a few. In the end, no its not the same money you would make doing work for regular citizens and you have to know how to hit curve balls really well.

A company can make a buck by sending an employee to school. There are many angles there.

And Yeah! I am really surprised to see you hanging out with AA. I don't know if its because you need the money, are too nice of a guy or you really are stupid. It pains me to see what you have to put on your shoulders to help him, actually I think you DO the job for him. That's not right.

Last edited:
No, yer right. It looked like Bulldog was pulling an LXT on Murph's fine proper poplar prune, I got carried away.

And yeah, from Bd's videos it looked like they were sissy-ing around. I didn't say anything that wasn't true about that.

I appreciate your understanding my perspective BD. I understand yours and I'm sorry for being so rude but I still don't understand why you are so chummy with AA. It don't make sense to me and if he was living 2 blocks from me I would check the Amber list.

Another thing i don't get is that around here municple contracts go to the lowest bidding dog and it doesn't seem like something to be proud of.

Its good to hear a guy like you is doing well and keeping up with things though. For me it seems that after the countless hours of lectures, seminars, training and talking the real world comes along and chews it up and for what they are paying to keep the grass pointing upwards it don't seem worth it.

I oughta pull a bulldog on yer Ernest looking head...........WTF, you make a cliaim about no insurance, no comp, etc... & then you post defending Murph................& then you wanna bust AA`s chops.............I think AA would kick the ####ing snot oughtta you & after reading some of your comments...............I think/Know AA is more legit than you!!

What a ball bag!! The Danno...........Defender of the Murph, maybe a lil butt kiss in there?

LXT..............

Oak Tree Take Down Part 2.m4v - YouTube

I would have gotten up around 8thirty, rubbed one off, dropped that thing either in the yard or the street and picked up my kid at 3thirty not spending a dime on worker's comp.

Pretty pro of ya! is that with or without the mop & dish towel? this post belongs in the "Hack" thread along with the posts that "stubs" are now a good thing..............tell us Danno..........the street drop was an idea Murph gave ya..uh?

:msp_thumbsup:

LXT............

crane capacity

Dan I'm never even actually working at 60-70 percent of the compacity of the boom their designed to flex like that at max load they look like a rainbow. and as far as level ground the truck has a sensor system in it to not operate on level enough ground. but as far as max not even close. right their your looking at 60% boom extension when you start talking 14k you gotta get the manual extensions out. i pick with cranes exclusively daily for years now the whole truck has backups for its backups thats why those booms are 100g's alone for base models. i have a dynamometer built in i can see the weight of every pick. the one we just built at max your talking close in around 30 thousand pounds at around 100 feet.[/QUO

i would like to see a knuckleboom that picks 30k at 100' radius. would like to see your crane pick 14k with manual extensions out. i think 14k with all extensions retracted at a 10' radius would put the truck to task. knucklebooms are pretty amazing in their capabilities (we have a hiab 250-4) but i think those numbers you are quoting are a stretch,maybe i'm wrong. seeing new things every day, but physics and leverage haven't changed i don't think.

Trying to get good video and pics disrupts the workflow and slows down the job. I've brought in videographers whose only job was to get footage and that works the best. I even got one guy to come up in the tree with me. He had some rock climbing experience and loved it.

Trouble is a pro videographer costs more than a climber to bring in for a day. Then there is the editing, it's really easy on a Mac with iMovie but it is still very time consuming to do. Usually I have to watch the raw footage over and over as I edit it down. Editing video is both an art and a skill and bringing in a producing company can be very expensive but the finished product is likely much better than my efforts so far.

asked wifey for a new water proof/shockproof digital for Christmas. nikon aw100 - should be much better for work and outdoorsy stuff then my canon sx20is. still trying to get the sawdust outta that poor thing

Listen you sheep ####### ###### ###### I am not gonna report your liver spotted ### for that comment or anything so don't worry about it , I will come to your neighborhood park in your driveway and make you and john boy wash my truck and hold my ciggy for me ..... Don't think because I like Matt that you can even chime in on a conversation between real tree workers and mention my name or threaten me , in reality and here you may be a #### ####### ##### ###### and thats that so buzz off ....

You must be the guy that I keep reading about from your area that goes over to people's houses, and runs brown streaks across their carpets in full sight. It was this particular criminal that came to mind when read your post and well...... most all of your posts.

You are a criminal, right? I mean everything you say in this forum suggest you are the shady, vengeful, high and mighty-too good for common justice type. I mean, heck. AA wouldn't even hurt a fly even if he could pop one out of the air with a six shooter from his hip, but you certainly have a hang up that is really coming out here. You are at least partially insane if not fully insane, 101, and so why are you asking to operate other people's high dollar equipment?

Happy head hunting, creep. :biggrin: And pay me back the only thing that ever came out of your mouth in your whole life: complete and utter BS. :angry2:

You must be the guy that I keep reading about from your area that goes over to people's houses, and runs brown streaks across their carpets in full sight. It was this particular criminal that came to mind when read your post and well...... most all of your posts.

You are a criminal, right? I mean everything you say in this forum suggest you are the shady, vengeful, high and mighty-too good for common justice type. I mean, heck. AA wouldn't even hurt a fly even if he could pop one out of the air with a six shooter from his hip, but you certainly have a hang up that is really coming out here. You are at least partially insane if not fully insane, 101, and so why are you asking to operate other people's high dollar equipment?

Happy head hunting, creep. :biggrin: And pay me back the only thing that ever came out of your mouth in your whole life: complete and utter BS. :angry2:

Listen FTA I am gonna go easy on you and tell you too just stop this course , and even though that you have been dropped on your head as a child you need to understand that I am more of tree worker than you could ever hope for and since you have yet to ever post any pics of anything and speak in retoided helmet wearing ebonics I would say out of the 2 of us you are the alot more of a BS ER than me , so take the wig off put away your grandmas panties back in her dirty clothes basket and know your place ....And as far as the criminal thing goes WELL ya got me there south jersey is well known for our endless pine barrens where no ever finds anyone or anything ...... Just Kidding and Just Saying

Last edited:
Listen FTA I am gonna go easy on you and tell you too just stop this course , and even though that you have been dropped on your head as a child you need to understand that I am more of tree worker than you could ever hope for and since you have yet to ever post any pics of anything and speak in retoided helmet wearing ebonics I would say out of the 2 of us you are the alot more of a BS ER than me , so take the wig off put away your grandmas panties back in her dirty clothes basket and know your place ....And as far as the criminal thing goes WELL ya got me there south jersey is well known for our endless pine barrens where no ever finds anyone or anything ...... Just Kidding and Just Saying

OK, that what I will do. Watch. See?

Ha! This 101 guy's a joke. No, nobody sees what this guy smears all over the forum, and sure, me and everyone will just take orders from one of the forum's most belligerent trolls. :msp_mellow: This freak can't be for real. I mean you read these kinds of guys BS in all of the forums online, and you write it off as just something you can't avoid online. But what next? You would actually invite one of these Cretins into your life??? Whoa! AA and Murph seem like alright guys, but I'd still have trouble giving them the keys to my things. This little group of outlaws is something completely different though.

Hey, 101, why don't you bring that broken, criminal mentality of yours out to help me use my $100k equipment really quick. I like your style. You're going to work out really well with my crews too wink wink :biggrin:

Ha! This 101 guy's a joke. No, nobody sees what this guy smears all over the forum, and sure, me and everyone will just take orders from one of the forum's most belligerent trolls. :msp_mellow: This freak can't be for real. I mean you read these kinds of guys BS in all of the forums online, and you write it off as just something you can't avoid online. But what next? You would actually invite one of these Cretins into your life??? Whoa! AA and Murph seem like alright guys, but I'd still have trouble giving them the keys to my things. This little group of outlaws is something completely different though.

Hey, 101, why don't you bring that broken, criminal mentality of yours out to help me use my $100k equipment really quick. I like your style. You're going to work out really well with my crews too wink wink :biggrin:

What things FTA what do you bring an offer you got a clue ? The only reason you take up for AA is because he's the only other idiot here that doesn't fit in so now what ? You gonna wow me with some more babble I mean you could actually leave this site tomorrow and we would be better for it , why don't you try please , I am not gonna stop until someone stops me so if you really wanna go here I will be perfectly honest its where I am comfy . I will enjoy twisting you up into a piece of soiled toilet paper , I am serious you have now gone at me 2xs so I will make you my priority where in the past I have just ignored you which was better for us both ... And as far as working for other people unlike you I can fit in where as you could only fit at the local adult book store as the #### mopper...

Dan I'm never even actually working at 60-70 percent of the compacity of the boom their designed to flex like that at max load they look like a rainbow. and as far as level ground the truck has a sensor system in it to not operate on level enough ground. but as far as max not even close. right their your looking at 60% boom extension when you start talking 14k you gotta get the manual extensions out. i pick with cranes exclusively daily for years now the whole truck has backups for its backups thats why those booms are 100g's alone for base models. i have a dynamometer built in i can see the weight of every pick. the one we just built at max your talking close in around 30 thousand pounds at around 100 feet.[/QUO

i would like to see a knuckleboom that picks 30k at 100' radius. would like to see your crane pick 14k with manual extensions out. i think 14k with all extensions retracted at a 10' radius would put the truck to task. knucklebooms are pretty amazing in their capabilities (we have a hiab 250-4) but i think those numbers you are quoting are a stretch,maybe i'm wrong. seeing new things every day, but physics and leverage haven't changed i don't think.

Thiers good load charts on the net for mike poors 1750 it would be comparable they out pick a 40 ton crane. pretty badly because my original choice was the 38 ton altec but the kboom we are pushing up the road in the near future makes the 38 ton altec look pretty weak sauce the up close rateing all the way in is 52,000 pounds.

straight from the load chart produced by copma says at 100 foot off the ground it will lift 2800

at a 50 degree at 100 foot your closer to the 15-20k mark most cranes loose compacity drastically past a 50 nor can thier jibs be in operation

the numbers for my crane are all the way off the dirt a little over a ton but thiers alot of variations you can build a boom in they make light duty and heavy duty jibs the same series crane can have alot of different compacitys depending on the boom in a 500 series thiers like 15 different models some lift 8-10k more than the other model at same distance due to whats out past that pointe on the boom.

ill run my load charts through my scanner when i get home and see if i can get you a picture for the truck we are using now.

Last edited:

I invite most people that are intested in seeing it in person two come check it out. i really like the guy that built it and think he builds a high quality machine and would like to see him sell more.

if you can find one for 100k let me know ill take two.

What things FTA what do you bring an offer you got a clue ? The only reason you take up for AA is because he's the only other idiot here that doesn't fit in so now what ? You gonna wow me with some more babble I mean you could actually leave this site tomorrow and we would be better for it , why don't you try please , I am not gonna stop until someone stops me so if you really wanna go here I will be perfectly honest its where I am comfy . I will enjoy twisting you up into a piece of soiled toilet paper , I am serious you have now gone at me 2xs so I will make you my priority where in the past I have just ignored you which was better for us both ... And as far as working for other people unlike you I can fit in where as you could only fit at the local adult book store as the #### mopper...

Comfy or not, the scum bagg is really coming in off the streets here, and you got no way to figure out it's you I'm talking about and you have no way to switch your style. You're jalopy. Instead you just keep spewing BS from that sour, worn out mouth.

Well, MDS was comfy here too, and he went the way may be right for you too. Seriously, if I knocked on these administrators doors, and I asked them if they had seen the statements you make on their forums, they'd might actually take a look. Then they might actually flick the blight you are off of their program just because they have all the sponsors to look after. You're mucking up the program for those guys.

If I wouldn't put you in my business (of any kind not just tree service, lame brain) because you'd run it down by the presence of your personality, attitude, and choice of language where custys and my good workers can get a whiff of you, then why would anyone out there with any kind of class want you on their pay role let alone someone's world famous website?

So you can run it down. :biggrin: Why else?

I was talking to a guy today about the bid I gave him on his trees, and he said all the other bids were a lot better. I don't blame those other guys for bidding so low. This is the slow season. I told the HO that I just don't know how to give less than 100% to what I'm doing for people. I have plenty of work, and if he want my kind of service, then pay the price for it. He only needs to try being a little more personable and ask for a price reduction. I'd give back a little.

My point is some of the folks on here are never less than 100% class acts. Some of the folks owe a whole lot before they make up for what they spew on this website. What's the difference between the two types? One just cannot stoop any lower, and the other cannot reach any higher.

Then there's lots of the quiet type on here too. Far more of them than anything else. Some of them would chime in on the boards more if they didn't figure some cuckoos would just work their arse off trying to smear them and control everything.

Really, what kind of people go to the hoods to see if they can't get a stalker to follow and hassle them? None that I know, but that is essentially the case when anyone enters AS. And those silent readers know the names of these notorious offenders, but action takes energy. They don't have any energy to make a little action towards banging these blights around a little bit because they are already too tired from working their butts off all day trying turn their dollar into a dollar fifty.

OK, 101, bite the bait again, and say it your way one more time. :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back