Komatsu pull cord kicking back.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevie

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys.

Recently, (yesterday) I got may hands on a 1990 Komatsu Zenoah G560 in lightly used condition. The chainsaw was posted and was drained of fuel and oil, I removed the packaging it came in, dragged it outside and fired it up. Obviously there was still some fuel in the line and the old girl started easy. I repeated this process once more, firing it up for a few seconds... easily.

Roll on today, I removed the chain and bar, washed out some dirt and oil from the inside of the side case, dress the bar etc. Nothing major, just a quick clean. Here's the problem.

I wanted to check if the oiler was working so loaded her up with oil and gas and tried to start her again, This time she kicked back on me tearing the pull cord handle from my hand. I've tried to start her but the problem persists. Any Ideas.?

Welcome to AS. It's possible that you've sheared the flywheel key. Remove the flywheel nut and you may be able to see if the flywheel has rotated. If not you'll need to remove the flywheel and inspect.

I've attached your IPL.

Attachments

• g560avs.pdf
    659 KB · Views: 6
Welcome to AS. It's possible that you've sheared the flywheel key. Remove the flywheel nut and you may be able to see if the flywheel has rotated. If not you'll need to remove the flywheel and inspect.

I've attached your IPL.
Yeah, I was wonder if that was the problem and hoping it was something simplar. Just my luck. working fine yesterday and goosed today. Thanks for the file, i have the parts pdf saved already. Problem is, part availability with this machine. oh and thanks for the welcome.

Put the bar back on, it makes a big difference with balancing out the pull from the recoil. Add the chain if you wish, even better the more counter balance weight on the end of the bar.
I'll try that before i go into the guts. Pull cord is about to snap also, so problem #2 trying to replace that without the spring uncoiling. oh well, these things are sent to test us.

I did manage to start it by gently pulling on the cord to a point then giving it a good tug, ticks over fine.

It's amazing what you can learn from ootube. Seriously though, I was more talking along the lines of gently pulling the cord until i felt the compression then giving it some welly and hoping it doesn't kick, I'll try with the bar and chain on and see if that makes a difference.

ok, I removed the flywheel nut and washer, The woodruff key appears to be in place, Some small movement/knocking left and right. A millimeter left to right at most. I'm gonna try a new spark plug before i pull the flywheel. Also going to check the muffler just in case something is blocking the gas from escaping.

Back