Kong Double Ascender

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"So we call it the NickChuck? The Chucky from Wisconsin?"

Nick, that's a sweet lookin' New York Nick's Knot!

Looks nice, Nick.  How well does it work with only one side of the hitch in service and the ascender gripping the other leg (simulated by grabbing one rope with your fist and with that thumb through the carabiner)?

Glen

Originally posted by glens
That's cool, Jack.  Thanks for the feedback/followup.

It also works with only one cam "failed", right?

Glen

Yes, and I only tried the 'failed' a couple of times.

Jack

Originally posted by NickfromWI
Here's what it looks like when you pull down on it.

That's great Nick. If it works with only one side failed as Glens asked about I'll order one. OK?

Jack

As I recall, more wraps were required when capturing the center and it didn't work single-sided as well; and that function was the main point of the exercise, after all.  But I wasn't using such a nicely-formed piece of cord, and that may make a difference.

Glen

I don't know why I didn't take this picture, but if only one side is pulled, it still holds. But let me get the pics, first. The knot gets all funky looking, but does hold.

Glad you guys like this thing. This is the sort of great things that happen when great minds and the Tree Machine;) get together!

love
nick

Hey Jack,

Just noticed what's in the attachment.  Just goes to prove how sensible you are.

Glen

Originally posted by glens
Hey Jack,

Just noticed what's in the attachment.  Just goes to prove how sensible you are.

Glen

:) Well, ah, yes. I've been with Linux for at least 10 years. Even when the issue was can you get it to boot on your machine. And if it did then what? Backed it's development from the beginning.

Thanks for noticing,
Jack

Holy Ganoley !

Hey fellas, I had to drop out for a couple days and spend some quality time with m'best girl. Results show that you've been doing your homework.

I am so proud of everyone's work I could just wee my pants! In the name of safety, the small-but-growing dual-ascendered climbing world applauds you.

Nick, I am especially impressed with your efforts. How freegin ingenious! You scratched your chin good and long on that new tress cord. I'll bet you laid there in bed awake mulling it over. When was that magic a-HA moment when it came to you? We wanna hear about that critical moment. Were you folding your laundry? Were you putting mustard on your sandwich, WHAT? You've done it; you've developed the lost tress cord!

History, once again, has been made. A new hitch is born. I am really pleased, big ear-to-ear grin, and quite excited to be the first consumer to receive the new-breed tress cord.

Krueger, how ya coming with the revamped hole system? I have held off sending the letter to Kong because I sense we're moving beyond an improvement suggestion, and are verging on a legitimate breakthrough; an actual working model. I encourage you to follow Spidey's suggestion of implimenting an inverted teardrop.

GREAT WORK, you guys! There should be some sort of award. Since the advent of the Double Chucky, you've come so far, so fast.

Well, TM, it wasn't as glorious as you hoped. I was standing at the splicing bench going, "hmmmmm, what exactly should I splice for the TreeMachine to make this work?"

I got out the pen and paper and did a few sketches when the idea of the 3-eyed prusik came to be. When I can see my ideas, they tend to develop faster.

So, that's it. I drew it, made a quick prototype to verify the measurements, then spliced up the real deal. Tried it out that afternoon in a Eucalyptus tree. No complaints so far.

They'll be in the mail soon.

love
nick

Nick,

I'd like to see you try one without the center tap and report any differences in function.  It will take less turns on the ropes to perform the same, so take that into account.

Glen

I thought about just using a straight eye-eye but I didn't like the idea of the carabiner being able to slide anywhere along the slings while climbing.

love
nick

I'm wondering if we're on the same page.  I'm talking about leaving the bottom, common wrap of cord completely out of the fastening system.

Glen

That's going backwards in time, Glen. We know that works. Go back and look at Spidey's French Prussik, page 5.

I was going to carry on just using a regular 'ol eye-eye tress cord, but NOOoooo. Nick from Wisconsin decides to put on his thinking cap and problem-solved his way into crafting this ingenious piece of cordage, thereby forever altering our tress cord reality. I'm still kinda sweaty from the whole ordeal.

I can't wait to try it out on rain-soaked 11 mm.

Last edited:
You mean http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?postid=216010#post216010 (page 4 for me)?&nbsp; That's almost <i>precisely</i> what Nick has done.&nbsp; Tapping the center like that took more wraps to effectively grab both ropes in my tests, and drastically lessened the effectiveness when pulling the ropes differentially.&nbsp; Not to mention having more friction when pushed upward due to the extra wraps.

But then again, I used knots, not splices.&nbsp; That's why I asked him to form one after <i>my</i> specifications for testing; which would be yet forward-moving.

Glen

Re: Holy Ganoley !

Originally posted by Tree Machine

[deletion]

Krueger, how ya coming with the revamped hole system? I have held off sending the letter to Kong because I sense we're moving beyond an improvement suggestion, and are verging on a legitimate breakthrough; an actual working model. I encourage you to follow Spidey's suggestion of implimenting an inverted teardrop.

GREAT WORK, you guys! There should be some sort of award. Since the advent of the Double Chucky, you've come so far, so fast.

I've held off doing any mod on the K, still playing with the hitch. I'm using a biner connected to the handle right now.

Jack

attachment.php

I guess this is what mine what modeled after....this picture by The Mighty Spidey. I didn't recall seeing that picture when I was doing my sketches...but Spidey must've planted that seed in my head earlier in the thread! But when I was looking at that way, I didn't like the idea of the carabiner being able to slide around while climbing.

I tied up the one I made in the EXACT same way as shown in spideys drawing.

This IS a team effort.

love
nick

attachment.php

Good question, glen. Here's what I mean: If you look at the pic, you can see where the 'biner would clip on this depiction. Without an eye there, the carabiner would be able to slide around, possibly altering how the double-prusik would be loaded....maybe to the point where it would load one prusik before, or more than, the other.

With the eye, things seems to stay as they should, nice and centered.

love
nick

Back