Kuuma Vaporfire 100 Clean Out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowa

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I promised a while back that I would post pics of my Kuuma VF 100 clean out in another thread. I cleaned it 3-4 weeks back and have been busy so never got around to posting them up. Got a chance today now.

As you can see from the pics inside the heat exchanger there is only white-grey powdery ashes. I took a vacuum and cleaned them up. Then proceeded to the back of the furnace and cleaned that area out. I checked the chimney and it's clean as a whistle. I'm not even going to run a brush down it. Last yr I burned 2 yr seasoned honey locust and white oak. My stove pipe temps were around 230-250F 16" from the furnace.

I'm extremely pleased with this furnace and recommend it to anyone who wants a good clean burning unit. Darryl and Garret Lamppa do a wonderful job answering questions on the phone and here. Awesome service!!!!

Attachments

• IMAG1907.jpg
    IMAG1907.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 91
  • IMAG1906.jpg
    IMAG1906.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMAG1911.jpg
    IMAG1911.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 91
Nice pics. Amazing how clean these are. I have been hanging out at ********** for awhile with AS being attacked. There are a lot more advanced systems over there compared to here, Gasafiers everywhere. There was ! troll trying to have OWB banned, saying everyone would be better off burning oil for it's cleaner. That wood smoke is very bad for you. That got me to thinking, as an HVAC guy I do ALOT of oil fired appliance cleanings. I have never come across one that has less soot than my KUUMA, and if you accidently inhale some of the dust, it instantly takes your breathe away. Followed by lots of coughing, and tight lungs for a day or two. Was not a problem with the grey dust. I could clean these all day without a problem. I HATE doing oil. All in all I would say these burn better, cleaner than oil. More on par with 80% Efficient gas units. Pretty damn good for wood.

Wow, that's impressive! Are those stack temps internal or external? Seems like your flue would get crudded up with that low of a temp, 'course, if the creosote causing components have already been incinerated...

You are right about the soot in oil furnaces dan. When I tore my old oil burning beast out, the flue pipe over to the chimney was half full of whitish/yellowish/tan (with a lil green thrown in) "soot" that stunk like crazy. I'm saying to myself "where did all THIS come from?!" I had a tech out to check over/service/set up my burner, I guess he had never checked that pipe!

Wow, that's impressive! Are those stack temps internal or external? Seems like your flue would get crudded up with that low of a temp, 'course, if the creosote causing components have already been incinerated...

You are right about the soot in oil furnaces dan. When I tore my old oil burning beast out, the flue pipe over to the chimney was half full of whitish/yellowish/tan (with a lil green thrown in) "soot" that stunk like crazy. I'm saying to myself "where did all THIS come from?!" I had a tech out to check over/service/set up my burner, I guess he had never checked that pipe!

I remember the temp argument before and people didn't want to believe what we said. Let's call it Kuuma magic;)

The stove pipe temp at 240f is the pipe itself. Internal temp at 16" from furnace is around 350-450F if I remember correctly. The temps fluctuate so much with the probe stuck inside there.

So I promised a while back that I would post pics of my Kuuma VF 100 clean out in another thread. I cleaned it 3-4 weeks back and have been busy so never got around to posting them up. Got a chance today now.

As you can see from the pics inside the heat exchanger there is only white-grey powdery ashes. I took a vacuum and cleaned them up. Then proceeded to the back of the furnace and cleaned that area out. I checked the chimney and it's clean as a whistle. I'm not even going to run a brush down it. Last yr I burned 2 yr seasoned honey locust and white oak. My stove pipe temps were around 230-250F 16" from the furnace.

I'm extremely pleased with this furnace and recommend it to anyone who wants a good clean burning unit. Darryl and Garret Lamppa do a wonderful job answering questions on the phone and here. Awesome service!!!!

Thank you for taking the time to post this review!! Guys like you, Stihly, and Curt really have helped our small business by sharing your personal experiences.:rock::rock: I know my dad says the same thing when speaking to people but hearing it from a customer is always better and more reassuring!

I went and saw my dad yesterday for the 1st time in a week and he was so busy he didn't know if he was coming or going. In the past week he has sold 8 furnaces and that's not counting any of the sauna stove orders, which have been really strong this year. I think that was probably a record week for him. It's too bad we are limited on storage space, because I know we have lost some business with people not wanting to wait until December for a furnace even though it would be worth it in the long run.

Thank you for taking the time to post this review!! Guys like you, Stihly, and Curt really have helped our small business by sharing your personal experiences.:rock::rock: I know my dad says the same thing when speaking to people but hearing it from a customer is always better and more reassuring!

I went and saw my dad yesterday for the 1st time in a week and he was so busy he didn't know if he was coming or going. In the past week he has sold 8 furnaces and that's not counting any of the sauna stove orders, which have been really strong this year. I think that was probably a record week for him. It's too bad we are limited on storage space, because I know we have lost some business with people not wanting to wait until December for a furnace even though it would be worth it in the long run.

There must be an old abandoned, unheated water tight warehouse for the cheap up there. They seem to be everywhere. Also old box trailers work well, but ugly.

There must be an old abandoned, unheated water tight warehouse for the cheap up there. They seem to be everywhere. Also old box trailers work well, but ugly.

The big problem these days in finding warehouses or having a larger building in the manufacturing industry is Mr. Obama lama ding dong wants you to give him 95% of what you make. Then you must pay fees to "be safe" and fees to "be environmentally friendly" and fees just to PEEEEE!!!

If it were me.. I'd stay small and off the radar the best I could! ;)

I ordered my kuuma in july or sept and waited until nearly dec. to get it. Guys.. If you want one order it and wait! It's well worth the wait. Once you have it, you have it and life is all good after!

I think you guys should do more customer review links on your website, or even better, customer testimonial videos...stuff like that. But hey if y'all have enough business to make a good livin, and that's good enough, then that's good enough...but hey, what do I know? Those who can do, those who can't become internet forum "experts" (insert the big orange "smart alec" smiley here)

Last edited:

Told my dad that last year. He gave me the story of when he used to do this exactly (off site) with the Kuuma 1's 20 years ago. Very hard to move and these guys aren't spring chickens anymore:msp_biggrin:. It also very hard for us to have this much inventory along with all of the different sauna stoves as well.

Thanks

I think you guys should do more customer review links on your website, or even better, customer testimonial videos...stuff like that. But hey if y'all have enough business to make a good livin, and that's good enough, then that's good enough...but hey, what do I know? Those who can do, those who can't become internet forum "experts" (insert the big orange "smart alec" smiley here)

Realistically, I think we already do a better job (Our website, Hearth, Here, Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Blogs) of this than most of our competitors but we could still use some improvement and I'm trying with the video's.

Back