Lakeside53's --361 muffler mod w/photos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get caught in the woods around here with out a spark screen... and you'll not be a happy camper. That is why Andy went to the trouble of making one that would accept the spark screen off a TS400 cutoff saw.

Anybody can hack a hole in a muffler and pry it open with a scrench... what the heck, do you drive a Passat? :laugh:

Gary

Get caught in the woods around here with out a spark screen... and you'll not be a happy camper. That is why Andy went to the trouble of making one that would accept the spark screen off a TS400 cutoff saw.

Anybody can hack a hole in a muffler and pry it open with a scrench... what the heck, do you drive a Passat? :laugh:

Gary

LOL!!!! ....that'll leave a mark!!!!

Gary

Ouch!

Well, in my defense, that is my GF's Jetta diesel. You see her at the end of my last vid. I drive a Comanche(mj), a Chevy Colorado, a TJ and a Chevy 3500. The Jetta is in the barn because the CV's blew up ;( The manche gets the wood out of the forest, the 3500 takes it to wherever or whomever needs it when we have enough(which seems like never with our hungry furnace), and the rado mostly takes me on pavement. The Tj mostly tries to kill me.

As for fire marshals, who do you think sold me his saw? ;) Outside of fire season, the others don't care.

Here's the poor lil Jetta after it threw it's CV out in Tigard:

large.jpg

I really shouldn't make fun of you guys, coz the girl also has a slammed Scirocco. Or however ya spell it. She's from Belgium, go figure.

WYK

Last edited:
Hello,
I have a ms361 that i want to mod the muffler like Lakeside53. But i had some questions on what stuff he or you all used
1) Did you use mapp gas to braze ? AS i have some in the basement)
2) What kind of brazing rod did you use.
3)Any good place to buy a 5/8od, 9/16 Id pipe (what kind of pipe do you recommend)
4) Can i drill a hole in the muffler with a regular drill bit and not have to drill it on a angle, to put the pipe in once i cut a 45 degree angle?

BTW Does Lakeside53 sell the kit (pre finished pipe, spark arrester, clip), if so how much, or how much if i bought a muffler and sent it to him.
I tried to pm him but him box was full

thanks so much for any and all help

trevor

Hello,
I have a ms361 that i want to mod the muffler like Lakeside53. But i had some questions on what stuff he or you all used
1) Did you use mapp gas to braze ? AS i have some in the basement)
2) What kind of brazing rod did you use.
3)Any good place to buy a 5/8od, 9/16 Id pipe (what kind of pipe do you recommend)
4) Can i drill a hole in the muffler with a regular drill bit and not have to drill it on a angle, to put the pipe in once i cut a 45 degree angle?

BTW Does Lakeside53 sell the kit (pre finished pipe, spark arrester, clip), if so how much, or how much if i bought a muffler and sent it to him.
I tried to pm him but him box was full

thanks so much for any and all help

trevor

Lakeside53 retired from AS some time back and we lost one of the best!

TT

You guys and your purdy muffler mods. Y'all have slammed Honda civic's, too? ;)

Here's my quick-n-easy dremel + Scrench mufmod:

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Yes, I do a mouse check before I fire her up. Come fire season I'll prolly put a Husky cover over it and screen it.

Does that let any heat/fumes on you hand or in you face????

Did anyone ever find a good place to get the 16mm tube from? I tried my local true value and they did not have it.

Its funny how little some stihl dealers know also trying to tell me it will hurt my saws performance lol. They did not even know what the RMC chain was.

Last edited:
Did anyone ever find a good place to get the 16mm tube from? I tried my local true value and they did not have it.

Its funny how little some stihl dealers know also trying to tell me it will hurt my saws performance lol. They did not even know what the RMC chain was.

Jay, no disrespect to andy...but are you certain you want that condom looking screen with that hose clamp on your saw? I just think it looks cheesy, even on the blowers.

It does not have to be exactly 16 mm. I make my mufflers much larger than the small pipe Andy used. And the saw screams.

If you can just go to your local scrap yard and ask to see their steel pile. Chances are good you will be able to find something with a pipe on it that will be the right size.

Thanks,
Scott.

I was just looking for the 16mm cause I alrdy have the screen and clip. I think it looks pretty good when all done. I also thought about buying the husky parts but I alrdy have these parts in hand and that would be more money plus shipping.

PM me your address and I will send you the part you can weld in. no charge. I will pay for shipping.

Scott

PM me your address and I will send you the part you can weld in. no charge. I will pay for shipping.

Scott

That's a great offer from ScottWojo !
Sure beats running around looking for stuff !

I used caliper slides for mine , the od was fine for the screen but I had to run a drill through it for the id .
The slide I used had a groove on the ends to hold rubber dust boots so when I cut the tube to fit I used the groove to hold the clamp , one tube did 2 mufflers .
The next ones I do may just get the Husky screen and deflector .

:cheers:

Husqvarna 61 muffler mod (positive results)

I just did my Husqvarna 61 a few days ago and the difference was remarkable! I was so impressed and it was more noticeable than my two Jonsered 625II muffler mods! :wink2::D I did a small vent on the oposite side with (5) 3/8" on the plate.

would it be worthwhile doing a mod on my Husky 61 muffler? Its a 2 piece, with removable baffle plate/screen.

Last edited:
I have done a lot of the Lakeside 361 mods. he actually was sending people to me before he got sick of the rigamorole here and retired.

Its dead easy. I use 1/2" or 9/16" ID pipe and the TS400 screen and clamp. I use a tiny tip on an oxy acetylene torch and braze it on. I aint gonna dig up my pics, but they are on here. Its not hard to do. Just remember to retune the carb properly.

The muffler on my Euro MS361 is an Andy one (done by him), but made a bit different, as I don't need spark screens over here! The tube is at the upper right corner of the muffler, not down left.

It works great! :msp_smile::D

Back