Landscape lighting + water

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwroller

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,
I am not sure if anyone on this site has much experience with landscape lighting, but chances are good that someone does. I am installing some low voltage landscape lighting and I want to know if I have a potential issue.

1) The low voltage wire runs through an area that regularly floods with water for several weeks a year. I am not overly concerned as the wire is waterproof, but I want to make sure that I will be OK.
2) Occasionally (maybe a few days a year) the flooded area gets so large that one of the light posts I plan to install will be underwater. It wont get so deep that the LED light goes under, but the post and the area where the waterproof connector connects to the trunk-line would be completely underwater (albeit buried). This I am more concerned about.
3) How deep should I dig for the trunk-line?

If you have any knowledge and can guide me I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Direct burial cable can be buried in dirt under water. Splices may be another matter, depending on the product chosen.

In theory, truly waterproof connectors are OK, too. But you should be aware that, for example, the IP67 rating means it has been tested to withstand submersion at one meter depth for 1/2 hour; not necessarily continuous submersion for days.

NEC article 300.5 says minimum 6 inches deep for max 30 volts direct burial wiring to control irrigation systems or for landscape lighting. A footnote says that, "A lesser depth shall be permitted where specified in the installation instructions of a listed low-voltage lighting system."

Direct burial cable can be buried in dirt under water.

In theory, truly waterproof connectors are OK, too, but you should be aware that, for example, the IP67 rating means you can submerge it up to a meter deep for 1/2 hour; not necessarily continuous submersion for days.

NEC article 300.5 says minimum 6 inches deep for max 30 volts direct burial wiring to control irrigation systems or for landscape lighting. Minimum 4 inches deep if in conduit. A footnote says that, "A lesser depth shall be permitted where specified in the installation instructions of a listed low-voltage lighting system."

Thank you! I picked up a bit of marine silicone as well and will use that on the connectors I am concerned about as an extra precaution.

Back