ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Large Crack in My Sycamore

Discussion in 'Homeowner Helper Forum' started by Nikki Follis, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Nikki Follis

Nikki Follis New Member

Hi!

I noticed a rather large (nearly 5 ft long) and deep (about 12 inches) crack in my sycamore trunk this morning. The tree is about 15 feet from my house. Should I be concerned and tale it down?

I hate to see it go, but don't want to chance it coming down on my house either. The tree is fairly old (an arborist told me its nearly 100 years, but it could be as young as 65 years).

Thanks in advance!!

Attached Files:

2. Jed1124

Jed1124 Addicted to ArboristSite

Wow, that's a big frost crack! With the temperaures we have been having frost crack will be pretty common on the sunny side of trees.
    It's hard to be sure from pictures but front the look of the crack if the tree would to split down because of it it would fall parallel to your house. That being said I've never seen a tree fail due to a frost crack. It' possible others have and they will chime in shortly.

Oldmaple likes this.
  3. diezelsmoke

diezelsmoke ArboristSite Operative

It looks like that trunk has been cracking for years. The size of the crack should allow you to see into the center and determine if the center is rotted. If it has minimal rotting then the tree should be fine. In the North when the temps get -0, probably 90% of the trees have frost cracks, some are visible and some are not.

ATH likes this.
  4. Oldmaple

Oldmaple Addicted to ArboristSite

Frost crack won't cause your tree to fail. Decay is the issue, since it now has the inner portion of the tree exposed. Never seen it be an issue on Sycamore as people usually have them cut down long before they decay since they are such a mess.

ATH likes this.
  5. Nikki Follis

Nikki Follis New Member

A couple more things to add....

The canopy of the tree is over my home through two very large limbs. There is nothing small about this tree.

Living in Michigan, we have a tendency for heavy snow and ice storms. Does this frost crack actually weaken the tree?

This tree is massive and beautiful, despite the mess it makes. I hate to remove a tree unnecessarily.

Thanks!!

6. arathol

arathol ArboristSite Operative

An on site evaluation is almost certainly needed to determine the structural integrity of that tree.

ATH likes this.
  7. ATH

ATH Addicted to ArboristSite

Get somebody who really knows what they are doing to look at it. Expect to pay a consulting fee. If you call a tree removal company, I can already tell you what they'll say (even without a picture). If you don't know who to call, look for a Tree Risk Assessment Qualified Arborist at treesaregood.org

8. jefflovstrom

jefflovstrom It was a beautiful day!

Try here,
    http://www.isa-arbor.com/findanarborist/findanarborist.aspx

Jeff

9. jefflovstrom

jefflovstrom It was a beautiful day!

I would just monitor it,
    Jeff

ATH likes this.
  10. gunny100

gunny100 ArboristSite Operative

looks like i would cut down that tree because its dammaged dont want that tree to fall on the house
    it makes good firewood

11. gunny100

gunny100 ArboristSite Operative

if you want to knolw how old the tree is cut it down and count the rings on the trunk pcs

12. ropensaddle

ropensaddle Feel Lucky

I've never seen a frost crack failure either but there are ways to mitigate the likelihood of a failure with a slight reduction of canopy. It should be noted if you have a reduction it should not look like a giant lawn mower ran over the top. Many smaller cuts 2 to 3 inch diameter to nodes will lessen the load and not be detrimental . Having said that, I only like sycamore 300 foot from my house because they are nasty to sinuses and I'm not allergic. Sick some more lol