Large growth on Cottonwood tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t conlin

Reaction score
I have a huge Cottonwood tree on my property and, at its' base, is an enormous round growth that protrudes out of the
trunk about three feet. It is about 7 ft in diameter and takes on the appearance of a 'wart.' I am concerned that this growth might be killing this big, old tree and I would like to find out if it can be removed without doing any harm to the tree. I have heard that woodturners are always searching for these type of tree deformities to use for their wood projects. I do not want to do anything that may cause harm to this tree but if this growth should be removed can anyone tell me how to go about doing this? Thank you. T. Conlin

This sounds like some type of annual canker disease, but I've never heard of one that big. It may be a record size. Seven feet diameter and three feet thick? WOW. I think removing it would do more harm than good. If the tree appears otherwise healthy, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Proper pruning, i.e. removal of dead or dangerous limbs, and fertilization will help improve the health of the tree. Call in a local certified arborist or consultant for a more specific diagnosis anf treatment plan. I hope this helps.
Brett

Back