Large pine removal advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok fella's- Sorry for the break but I took some serious time to reevaluate the plans and make gear changes. I've changed my climbing line to utilize a split tail and also got rid of my mechanical adjuster on my flipline and changed over to a hip prussic so I can use my flipline tail as a 2 in 1. Thanks to you guys and your advice I'm not going to attempt the tall trees yet but I have 2 other smaller tree's, 50 footers with no worry of fence or house to hit, that I'm going to practice skinning and chunking tomorrow. I'll try to get some pic's of the setup but the smaller trees have plenty of nice limbs I can throw my climbing line into from the ground so I wont even have to deal with the false crotch setup just yet. I'll actually be setting up tonight so I can saddle up in the morning and start clearing- I'll throw the wife and her mom on the chipper and hopefully get my learn on. Thanks again for all the help and safety concerns!!!!!!
Jason

It’s in progress and it’s a lot harder than I imagined!!! Hats off to you guys doing this **** everyday!!! It’s amazing what the books don’t tell you

It’s in progress and it’s a lot harder than I imagined!!! Hats off to you guys doing this **** everyday!!! It’s amazing what the books don’t tell you
That is a good tree to practice on it appears to me. Assuming the power line is out of reach of anything you drop ,hard to tell from where I am if it is stop ASAP!

Get a hard hat,
Jeff :cool:
nice- I was waiting to see how long before a PPE comment was made!! I have about 5 of these tree’s to do- after that this gear probably packed away in a box so hard to buy that stuff but I get it- pretty dumb to be up there without one- also- I can totally see why most use a top bar saw my 180c is a ***** up there to operate!!

yeah, I don't wanna be the PPE police, but when I see it I tend to re-act,
I started climbing in 1978, (40 years ago), no PPE and full of piss and vinegar, we have come a long way, now I am a Manager and I am all about safety.
BTW, a top handle is the way to go, but remember you still need to use both hands (although they seem to be made for one hand use), just be careful,
Jeff

nice- I was waiting to see how long before a PPE comment was made!! I have about 5 of these tree’s to do- after that this gear probably packed away in a box so hard to buy that stuff but I get it- pretty dumb to be up there without one- also- I can totally see why most use a top bar saw my 180c is a ***** up there to operate!!
Check out my sig for used saws.

3E5EC6B8-81D5-4358-A9DB-10A4EFD97442.jpeg I now have a pole just going to pull it down tomorrow. The climbing line is amazing but my micro pulley rig sucks!! It falls below my saddle rings so I have to pull up super high on every time I tend the slack. I have it setup just as the tree climbers companion example but I don’t like it at all

4F6407E2-54FA-4C3E-ADE2-12A69900C4BA.jpeg
See how the micro is way below my Blake’s? I tried using a prussik to the working line and it kept twisting/fouling up the pulley and it just wasn’t working that way so???

Figure a way to put that pulley right under the hitch, maybe tie the hitch closer the the sewn eye. It's not life support, could even use a ziptie. Normally, you'd use a smaller diameter rope for your hitch, if using a pulley. Makes it a lot easier to get it close up. Also, that doesn't look like a Blake's hitch to my eye. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong, but...

Back