• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh Long

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm pretty new here, but I've been watching the threads for a while now to try and buy a large milling saw to replace my makita 6401 with BBK that the dealer says needs new bearings now, but haven't found the right one in my price range (those 6401's can be quite the deal).

I'm looking for something that takes a Large Husqvarna mount because of the bars I own... so husq, makita, dolmar are the ones I've been eyeing, but am open to whatever has that mount. It will rarely need to be able to pull up to a 32" bar milling, and if I buy a bigger bar 36" maxes my mill.

I do not care if it is ugly, I prefer it to run well, in fact ugly is probably better for my price range.

The wife has given me a max budget of $400 right now, but for the right saw I can sell some things to extend that.

Just so you know, this saw will be well treated with compressed air baths, fed ethanol free gas, enjoy Amsoil synthetics, along with a semi-steady diet of cherry, oak, maple, the occasional black walnut slab, and any other tasty woods I can find :yes:

I have a makita 520i in good condition with brand new 20" narrow kerf bar and chain I can trade, and a not running long 6401 that supposedly needs bearings with new 85cc big bore.

Thanks for your time,
Josh

Attachments

• IMG_2384.JPG
    IMG_2384.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2449.JPG
    IMG_2449.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 61
To be honest, I have absolutely no interest in chain saw milling. It is slow, hard on the saw and does not produce the best boards. I used to own a Frick 01 circular mill and have no real interest in running one of those either.

If I was to start sawing boards I would get a band mill. Faster, more fuel efficient, better finish and easier on the operator. I have had 3000 + board feet of lumber sawed for free on band mills by supplying the logs at tractor shows for manufacturers and distributors to demonstrate their products.

Bandsaw mills can be had for so cheap today comparatively... might as well do the bandmilling. I like the one in my sig, has worked really well. I can't imaging doing all that work w/ a chainsaw.... even if it was a huge one.

To the OP, some fairly inexpensive bandsaw mills exist... might I suggest saving up for one. You will thank me later... best of luck

Appreciate the opinions, and I think a lil later in life I will own a bandsaw, but right now I have a chainsaw mill, chain, and bars, but I need a chainsaw! ;) :chainsaw:

Mattyo I think I agree with you that my price range isn't terribly realistic for the type of saw I need... if only my wife would agree lol. I probably should sell that makita 520i and add the profits to this saw budget.

I did however score the Makita 6401 for $200 then toss the 85cc cylinder on it for $120 though...

The only thing I can say with the wife issue is that if she thinks you can get a nice reliable milling saw for 400 then she's just as delusional as you. ...so she has a choice. ..join you in reasonableness or enjoy her delusion.

After doing this chainsaw stuff for a while and now having a bandsaw. ..no way i would mill with a chainsaw except for carving down something so it could fit in my mill. Take this opportunity to save up. ...and while you are saving up work on your strategy of how to convince the wife that you need a proper mill. I've been married now 13 years so I'm right there with ya
....best of luck sir.

Who said anything about "nice" and reliable, I would be fine with nasty and reliable. :D

I'll tell her she has a choice, "join me in reasonableness or enjoy her delusion" .... I think she's about to increase my budget :ices_rofl:

My budget probably stems from my first saw being $140, then the 1st milling saw was only $200, $400 is a large leap from those.

I need a chainsaw mill before the bandsaw mill so I can say, "look honey at all the money I would be saving on bar oil"

But in all seriousness I've only taken the granberg to 4-6 logs, I want to do it for a little longer, make sure its a hobby I want to have around a while before I look at buying a bandsaw mill.

Start showing her ads for a new Stihl MS880 or equivalent. Then when she chokes on the $2K price tag, tell her you're looking for something used that will be less but that is the ideal saw you need. Pretty soon, $700 is going to sound cheap.

To be honest, I have absolutely no interest in chain saw milling. It is slow, hard on the saw and does not produce the best boards. I used to own a Frick 01 circular mill and have no real interest in running one of those either.

If I was to start sawing boards I would get a band mill. Faster, more fuel efficient, better finish and easier on the operator. I have had 3000 + board feet of lumber sawed for free on band mills by supplying the logs at tractor shows for manufacturers and distributors to demonstrate their products.
this is only me and my thoughts.if you are milling wood buy a mill a chain saw is for cutting . then get get them to the mill . BUT every man is NOT the same. so if you are in a place in life you need a chain saw poh only for a mill. GOD and I LOVE you ps good luck! and i mean it!

That 288 would do the job. Chainsaw mills have there place. You don't need a bandsaw although they would be the best if set up for it. The beauty of the chainsaw mill is you can do it anywhere. For example, a boat access only property. I have thought about a bandsaw but then I need a tractor or something. Which would be nice too!! All in time. CM will work! Yes good luck, and enjoy it!!

I would highly recommend a Stihl 075 or 076. They are great torque monsters
and great for milling. Prices are way low now a days and you should be able to
grab a good runner in your price range. Parts are still out there as well even though
they are an older saw.

Lee

I would highly recommend a Stihl 075 or 076. They are great torque monsters
and great for milling. Prices are way low now a days and you should be able to
grab a good runner in your price range. Parts are still out there as well even though
they are an older saw.

Lee

Might be time to pull mine out...

Latest posts

Back