Large Silver Maple with Split - Recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What would you do with this tree if you lived in that house?

If I was a tenant in that house I would get a couple professional opinions in writing. If any of those opinions indicated that the tree posed any sort of hazard to persons or property the owner of the house would receive a certified letter containing a copy of those opinions and notifying said owner of the problem. I would also urge the neighbor to do the same.

What would you do with this tree if you lived in that house?
Reduction pruning with possibly some thinning cuts as well. Cable(s) and possibly bracing.

While silvers do fail at major trunk inclusions ( hence "split" or "****" maples), most failures are up in the canopy from branches snapping off at or adjacent to a fulcrum point.

I cant comment on the cobra cable as we never use it.

I see nothing overly alarming in the pics the tree is very saveable. in the pic at the red line I'd stick a 3/4" rod through it. then I'd stick a steel cable In the top. This would follow a good trimming with some moderate weight reduction. The rod is not necessarily a must but if you are set on making sure the tree is as stable as possible I'd do it, shouldn't add too much cost.

The guy who says remove clearly has no desire to save the tree and only does removals.
I would have it cut down and cut up for firewood
Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
b853d972ed52ba584e2befe4bcef5f89.jpg

Last year I was almost a witness to a silver maple about the same size and configuration as yours - come down at the house across the street. I was in the back yard at a friends house and we heard a prolonged cracking noise followed by a big crash, for a split second we thought there had been a bad traffic accident. We walked around to the street and saw half of a big silver maple down in the neighbor's driveway. Underneath was a destroyed a new SUV in their driveway. We briefly chatted with the folks that came out to assess the damage. They weren't feeling too badly about it, saying the car was insured and that they were just happy nobody was out there when it came down.

It looks pretty dangerous actually, and very very close to the foundation of the house.
I would remove it and be done with the worry and expense of frequent pruning, cabling and cleaning dropped branches.
Not to mention the danger of half that tree coming down on someone, maybe a child, maybe the house, maybe a car.
Better safe than sorry.

Back