Large tree close to house

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiliconSV

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,
I would need to expertise on this matter.

I have a tall mature tree, that is passing through my roof.
My worry is that the roots could damage the slab foundations in the future, or damage a drain pipe underground.
I had a few estimates from contractors, from $2000 to $3000
One contractor told me to keep the tree, because it is already mature, and the roots are already developed, and the roots should not be an issue.
As well cutting this tree is dangerous because the roof is right under it.

What is your opinion ? Should I cut the whole tree, or only the lower limb that is close to the roof ?

Appreciate your expertise and advices

Attachments

• 20210713_143346.jpg
    20210713_143346.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 89
  • tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 85
I would have removed it before building the house/roof/concrete around it. lol, obviously that's not an option now.

Either leave it alone, or remove the whole thing. Removing that one lower branch isn't going to fix or solve anything really. It will only serve to open a large wound in the trunk of the tree.

If it were me and that were my house, I would probably leave it and plan on moving before it became an issue lol, just pay attention to any potential issues. If you start seeing changes in the foliage, or any signs that the tree is suffering, have it removed immediately.

Concrete probably from the beginning, like 1980. However it is possible it has been resurfaced with fresh stamped concrete

Well, the roots extend, and it's moist in the area
I'm not an arborist,, just curious. ;)

I guess my questions are mostly for the arborists here like @ATH

If the trees root system is about the same diameter as the trees canopy, then wouldn't about 3/4 of the root system be under the house?
What about the fine feeder roots that are near the surface - aren't they being suffocated?
Would the roots be getting into plumbing, or septic system?
What if a big wind grabbed the top of the tree and up-rooted it, or lightening struck it?

Idk, I think it looks cool, but if it were mine, I'd take it down... and I'm a treehugger. :yes:

Correct, looks like it was cut multiple times, that adds up to the bill.

I will put some budget aside and cut it down later this year or early next year, and replace the stump by a table with a base made of the stump.

The tree is fine. So is the slab. Without looking at it in person I would say leave it be. It’s a super interesting addition to the home.
Your worried about what will happen to the slab and foundation if the tree starts lifting it, correct?
Have you considered what will happen if you remove the tree, and all the root mass below the slab decays, and the ground settles? Foundations crack not only by being lifted up, but also by settling down.
Leave the tree be.

I am curious about SiliconSV’s question about the roots being developed, at this tree’s maturity, is the root system fully developed and static, or will the roots continue to expand, and possibly still pose a threat to the slab and foundation?

Regarding Sandy’s question, will the roots only extend away from the house, to where they can find water?, if so, will an asymmetrical root system cause it to be unstable in a certain direction? I am not an arborist, but I imagine that roots really only stabilize the trees in tension, and have little effect in compression, so a tree would be able to withstand a wind blowing FROM the side with the majority of the root system, but would be much less able to withstand a wind blowing Towards the side with the more developed root system

Doug

Leave the lower limb--cutting it would make the trunk move more, and starve the roots. "damping effect", "cytokinin"

Don't worry--be happy. Hire a good local arborist--maybe the seller had somebody caring for it?

Latest posts

Back