Large tree stump removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IllinoisJim

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Have about a tall tulip tree about 18" dia. trunk that needs to be removed for a house foundation. Too big for me to do myself. It's on a vacant lot with enough room to drop it. But I am concerned about stump removal. Normally much easier to pull stumps if plenty of trunk is left for leverage and pull or push it over. Not enough room on the side of the tree needed to push it over with the track hoe. When the track hoe is there to dig the basement they could dig around it to help get the stump out which may be easy enough without extra stump height. Wanting to do this the easiest/cheapest way overall and looking for suggestions. Cutting it down and leaving a tall stump (10 feet or more) is a thought but probably not something anyone is likely to want to do.

Why not cut it flush and leave the stump there for the track hoe? That isn't that big of a tree...should be able to pop it right out. What does the excavation company say?

If it is too much for them, it sholdn't be too much to have it ground down as low as a grinder can get which would get rid of a lot of weight...then the hoe can take out what is left.

There are videos of guys out there burning stumps. One is pretty funny because he must go through a cord and a half of wood piling it on top of the stump to keep it burning. Probably could have traded a half a cord of wood to somebody who has a stump grinder to take care of it in short order.

Back