Largest Oak I Have Seen In PA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott76

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score

I was up in Lewistown, PA (central PA) helping my old friend out cutting firewood. We where walking through the woods looking for more trees that have fallen down due to wind (roots and all). We walked up on a tree that is still standing. It was a HUGE oak tree. Red Oak I think.. This thing has a diameter of 5'-0" at the trunk. It’s the largest tree I have ever seen in PA!!!! The branches are the size of trees them selves. It’s just freaking HUGE.... I was joking with him that I would love to cut it up for firewood.... We laughed a little. We don’t under stand how that HUGE oak is still standing because they do a select timber cut ever 10-20 years on their ground.

Then he was telling me about another oak that has fallen due to wind and ants down the road on his ground that he wants me to cut up for firewood. We drove down to see it and holy crap that ones big. It has a base of over 3'-0" diameter. That is going to be a weekend just to cut it. That’s not even to haul it. When it fell it took 4 other large trees with it that they need cut up too. These trees are on a side of a very steep hill that we have to use a wench to pull the logs up to the road!! It turns out that there is a long row of these oaks that are on the property line and no one agreed to cut them down (middle of the woods). Now all these large oaks are full of ants. I stood there watching the ants move from the fallen tree. They have a little path that you can see it goes above ground then a little tunnel, then above ground, etc… That was pretty cool to watch them a little. I don’t know when the next visit will be but I know I will have to take some pictures.

Cool, Big trees are definately getting harder to find out this way. The last big tree I dropped was 47" and 36" DBH. It was over 5 feet at the stump.

A big saw will make shorter work of that 3 footer than you think. The 47" elm was felled and cut into 24" sections with a 372 and 28" bar in less than 3 hours. That included all the smaller top section. The hard part is getting it all moved, that is the time killer. Good luck.

-Steve

Scott76 said:

I don’t know when the next visit will be but I know I will have to take some pictures.

Are ya going to post um on this thread? I just wast to get in line for the pics. Good luck.

As soon as I get pictures they will be on the web.

It will be a couple of weeks. My friend is going in for back surgery in 2 weeks. He's going down hill some.

Or maybe Lewisberry?!

Scott76 said:

These trees are on a side of a very steep hill that we have to use a wench to pull the logs up to the road!!

I've heard of cleaning wench's, but never a log wench.

I'll have to check this out. Last Sunday the family was visiting Kenbrook Bible Camp near Jonestown. I was walking back to the cabin that my son will be staying at and came up on a Locust that was easily 5' at the base and 40' straight up before any limbs. After I got done figuring which saw to use and how I'd drop it, I composed myself and just admired the beautiful specimen.

As for waking up next to a log wench....I plead the fifth.....forever.

I will have to measure all the big tree on his land. That will take a good 2 months. All those line tree are big. We did find a big black cherry tree. I know its going to be timbered this summer $$$$$$.

I'm just happy that there is standing died that I can learn how to fall trees. Then I get all the tops after they do a select timber cut. I just wish I could retire at 29 and cut wood.

On a more serious note, if you're cutting dead timber, be sure to get a helmet and have someone along to help keep an eye on things. The concern is that dead limbs might break off and drop down while you're working around the trunk. Nothing gets your attention better than to be focused on your cuts when you hear a "whump"; and turn to see a 5" limb shattered 3' behind you.

Thanks there Buckwheat! I really never thought about that. I do have a hardhat from my real job that I'll take along. I can see that now. A white hat walking through the woods. HA HA HA!!! I'll standout a little.... There will be 1 or 2 older guys there teaching me. There is at least 6 standing and all the branches are pretty much off, but yea I know they can break in half and the top half and fall different direction.

pyromaniac guy; you said you work in Hummelstown. I work in Grantville. We have to passing each other every day some where! We have to meet sometime.

Most of my time is rapped up into my house. Trying to remodel (FIX) EVERYTHING!!! Previous owner (32 year old) Did NOTHING!! I have found empty beer cans in the attic! We bought the house while he was in jail for DUI!! My spare time in driving to Lewistown to cut fire wood for my old friend. If you want I can plan to pick you up at Clark's Ferry take you up, BUT I will put you to work. So bring a saw!! :) I don't know what the next time will be.

scott,

i am actually a travelling salesman that covers 11 counties, so i'm sure we have crossed paths. yeah, the ferry still runs, although i've been up here 8 years and never been on it.

right now, in the few hours that i don't work during the week, i am getting some land i own ready for seeding of grass....

shoot me a pm when you are going next and i will let you know if i can help.

Back