Late 80's McCulloch 2.0 CID Eager Beaver

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To verify if the fuel supply from the tank is an issue, with the tank removed just half fill it with fuel and see how fast it dribbles out of the outlet port.

I haven't seen an answer to this question. I have tested mine and it flows at maybe 2 small drops per second. Is This enough fuel flow?

I haven't seen an answer to this question. I have tested mine and it flows at maybe 2 small drops per second. Is This enough fuel flow?
That is not nearly enough fuel flow, If the filter isn't too restricted, it should flow a continuous thin stream rather than drips. I have found that just cutting the front squished part off (about 1/2") and reinstalling the filter greatly improves flow.

Thanks to all for input, advice and sharing your experience with me. Saw runs fantastic. One final question... Does anyone know the RPM recommendation for top speed?

Thank all of you for the usrful information. Did enyone use electric chainsaw before? I used to use fuel chainsaw befor, but now it is broken and i can't even imagine how to fix it. So i decided that i need new one. I'm choosing between Ryobi RCS2340 and Bosch AKE 40-19 S (i found them here https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/electric-chainsaws). They looks similar... What you think about them?

Does anyone out there have the electrical specs ie resistances for the electronic ignition system on the Eager Beaver, or have a known good one that they van measure for me? John

Mostly put back together. Without bar and chain, this engine runs like a dream. UNTIL the throttle trigger is released. Then it dies out every time. I made a few turns in and out of the ide screw but this has no effect. I readjusted the hi and lo screws to fully closed and turned back 3/4 turn for both as this was stated in the mini mac 6 and 6a general service information document that I received from you. I was able to hold the throttle trigger just enough to keep it going and made adjustments to the lo screw. No dice either way. Any more advice?

I was going to suggest that you may have developed an air leak, possibly via worn crankshaft seals or through the pulse-type oil pump...but then you got it running. Shot that theory to hell, but congratulations!

This has been a fun thread to read. I’m glad to see some people persevering and getting these little saws working. I used to dream about getting one of these when I was a kid too young to be handed a chainsaw. Then, several years ago someone gave me a plastic tote full of this series saw powerheads and various related parts. I started assembling and ended up with a couple of 110s, either a 120 or 130 (as best I can recall) and a 160, which had electronic ignition, more black on it and a 16” bar. Every one had pulse pump issues and spark issues and one or two missing pieces but the 160, which ran pretty good for awhile as long as I used the manual oiler.

The awful cramped ergonomics really put me off at first, particularly the balance with the 16” bar, but I was surprised how quickly I got used to it. It wasn’t so bad when you were actually cutting; it was handling the saw out of the cut that felt weird.

I found that 160 to be really handy for fence construction tasks like cutting a flat face onto round fence posts to attach 5/4” x 6” fence boards, and cutting the boards to length.

Eventually the 160 started leaking a lot of bar oil into the crankcase, and then the ignition module died. I ended up scrapping the Macs and focusing on maintaining my Poulans, but I kind of regretted doing that afterwards. It’s been very interesting reading the repair and assembly tips here; just wish I’d had this to read back then!

Back