Latest bear progression pics..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wooly

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I recently had a request for a 5ft bear and just about got him wrapped up yesterday. Just need to sink some eyeballs in him and polish his finger and toenails.
The bear himself is 4ft and we had to go with a booster base to get him to the 5' mark. I just don't have wood big enough to carve a 5 footer all out of one piece and have the proportions turn out right so this is what I decided on and my customer agreed.

DSC_0078.JPG
DSC_0079.JPG

DSC_0098.JPG
DSC_0133.JPG
DSC_0153.JPG
DSC_0172.JPG
DSC_0174.JPG
DSC_0177.JPG
DSC_0241.JPG
DSC_0235.JPG

Thanks guys!
This one was done with saws and angle grinder. I used a Dremel to carve the eyes instead of marbles like I usually do. I've still got some learning to do in that department but figured I'd give it a shot anyhow.
That's my mother in the pic. She loves watching me do this stuff whenever she's around and tries to claim every carving as her own before it gets picked up,lol
DSC_0259.JPG

Wow, that is a great job. What wood is that? What saw setups do you use?

Wow, that is a great job. What wood is that? What saw setups do you use?
Thanks man!
The wood was white pine.
I have my MS170 set up with the 12" carving bar and my 018c with the 16" bar.
That's pretty much all the variety of saws I need for the size of wood I have here to work with.

I thought it looked like white pine. I have about thirty, 12' white pine logs in my backyard I cut down last spring....some of them are pretty big diameter. I have been wanting to try my hand at carving and this will give me a good use for the pine.

Keep the posts coming too, I have looked at the threads you created and really enjoy them.

Back