Leaf blower, lot more useful than just blowing leafs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stuck up my shirt on a hot sweaty day....they are bliss.

They are also very helpful in unblocking chipper chutes, and with a drink bottle they are great at wetting any kids down when they are stupid enough to squirt me with a watergun.

If you want to see god, try sticking a wound up blowers nozzle in the cuff of your pant leg. 95 degree day, dragging brush uphill...
A little airflow up one leg and down the others niiiiice.

I love how you actually feel cold afterwards for a lil while .

Ive never seen a chipper chute unblocked with a leaf blower though

I only have to worry about my carport. And put the hose or hard extension on the exhaust port of my shop vac. I use tape to hold the ball down if I need to. Take the bottom off and tie a loop in the cord and over the shoulder and good to go. Believe it or not it has enough to clean or push just about any thing on the floor that needs to go out.

your kidding ??? right ???

you really take the shop vac apart,, tie a sling on it,, tape the ball ,,change the hose,,then put it on your shoulder to blow a car port out???????

did it occur to you ,,that you could just swap the hose and drag it around on the wheels that come with the vac, to use it as a blower ????? instead of carrying it ??? what do you have for a carport ??? something the size of an air plane hanger ???

If you want to see god, try sticking a wound up blowers nozzle in the cuff of your pant leg. 95 degree day, dragging brush uphill...

Ive never seen a chipper chute unblocked with a leaf blower though

Amen to that brother, chainsaw pants are compulsory here so any relief from the heat is appreciated. I sometimes just stick the nozzle down the top of my pants.....blisssssssss

A few times I have been able to unblock a chute using a rake handle and blower, without having to take the machine apart, doesnt always work though.

My daughter,a body guard is my recommendation, forget attourney's
we will cut ya for that around here :laugh:

LOL, Rope, did I mention she's late twenties, blond, divorced and living with her parents again. Can't wait to use that blower, man !!!:ices_rofl:

I've set my mind on a Stihl SH85, think it will do the job for me. I was able to test one at my local dealer, and the option to suck small stuff into the bag is nice. pics will follow.

Just make sure nothing gets in the intake when your doing this. Hurts just thinking about it!

HANDHELD ??????

YOU WANT A BLOWER OR A TOY ?????

REDMAX EBZ-8000,,, now thats a blower !!!!!!! works as a blacktop and sod remover,, if your not careful !!!!

in untrained hands,, the results could be dire !! LOL

I am very surprised to see so many response to my thread!!!!

I have a hand held so far. Does anyone have opinion about using back pack to dry stuff that is higher eg, roof of the car etc. I kind of believe the hand held is easier to manuver stuff that is higher where the tube might not stretch with your arm. Is this true? I have no experience on back pack. If that is not a limitation, I might try to convince my big boss(wife) that I need one on top of the hand held!!!!! It is so useful!!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

BTW I think the Shindaiwa I have is suppose to be the strongest. It is a 34cc 4 cycle. But I would rather get a 2 cycle that is as powerful and as quiet if there is one. I should have bought a back pack, I still would like a little more power from my blower.

Redmax is popular here!!! I saw Echo PB460 for $299, I think is a good price. It's the quiet one. Hey if you are a home owner, you better worry a little about your neighbor, not like the pros, they come, blow the kingdom-come out of it and leave!!!! leaving your neighbors fuming!!!

Last edited:
oh no, the 8001 and the br 600 are the most powerful.
The 8001 has a higher velocity, and the 600 has higher cfm.

You can push a brick across pavement with the 8001.

I dont know about handheld power, thats just for backpacks.
Not rollerblowers or walk behinds.
Those are mean too.

Come to think of it ive taken on bees nests with a leaf blower too.
lilbastids cant compete with a 280mph wind .

Hey, I got my new toy this week. Here it is, think it will suit my needs just fine.... dayuuuum , where's the neighbour's daughter :givebeer:

attachment.php

Hey, I got my new toy this week. Here it is, think it will suit my needs just fine.... dayuuuum , where's the neighbour's daughter :givebeer:

attachment.php

I bought my Shindy C4 2 months ago, but looking at your picture make my mouth water with envy. The time I bought mine, I thought 4 cycle is better. Now I kind of changing my mind, I look at the spec of yours, I want an exchange:bang: :bang:

Also I don't have a neighbor's daughter that worth doing that make me even more envy:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

here's a new one, i use mine (backpack) to move chips around after grinding a stump. it is good to find those pesky surface roots and do a excellent job getting the chips out of the grass. when the leaves fall i put on the backpack and use the handheld at the same time, double fire power. the leaves don't stand a chance

Not sure about the handheld 125 Husqvarna, but I really like my 125 backpack blower. For the lower end unit, it does a real good job. It's light weight also which is a consideration for me, since I'm a light weight.

Kevin
Blower2.jpg

attachment.php

EBZ8000-RH BackPack Blower

Engine: 2 CycleStrato-Charged™
Engine Displacement: 71.9 cc 4.6 HP
Carburetor: Diaphragm with Purge Pump
Ignition System: Solid State
Fuel Capacity: 77.7 fl.Oz.
Dry Weight: 24.9 lbs
Air Volume: 943 cfm
Air Speed: 203 mph
Noise Level: 78 dB(A)

BG 85 D Blower

DISPLACEMENT
27.2 cc (1.66 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER
0.8 kW (1.10 bhp)
WEIGHT
4.2 kg (9.3 Ibs.)
FUEL CAPACITY
400 cc (13.5 oz.)
AIR VELOCITY
Flat:
82 m/sec. (183 mph)
Round:
67 m/sec. (150 mph)
AIR VOLUME
Flat:
580 m3/h (341 cfm)
Round:
760 m3/h (447 cfm)
SOUND PRESSURE RATING
70 dB(A)
Measured per ANSI B175.2

you're right it is a toy....

why did you buy the stilh ???? sound like you've had a hand held, for a long time looking out the window !!! LOL

Last edited:
BG 85 D Blower

DISPLACEMENT
27.2 cc (1.66 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER
0.8 kW (1.10 bhp)
WEIGHT
4.2 kg (9.3 Ibs.)
FUEL CAPACITY
400 cc (13.5 oz.)
AIR VELOCITY
Flat:
82 m/sec. (183 mph)
Round:
67 m/sec. (150 mph)
AIR VOLUME
Flat:
580 m3/h (341 cfm)
Round:
760 m3/h (447 cfm)
SOUND PRESSURE RATING
70 dB(A)
Measured per ANSI B175.2

why did you buy the stilh ???? sound like you've had a hand held, for a long time looking out the window !!! LOL

JS, every tool has its purpose. I described my needs earlier in this thread and after carefully comparing the specs, prices, etc. this machine seems to satisfy my needs, both in terms of specs, use, and price. I need it mostly for small jobs, so I got a handheld, and one of the best there is imo. Besides, the specs you quoted are for a BG85, not the SH85, so my machine has a nice option which your redmax doesn't, which also is of value to me. ;)

Why Stihl : I have a super dealer (good price and provides excellent service for parts of my collection saws, which is a great value to me). I own a lot of Stihl equipment and I know it's excellent value for the money.

Sure, I could have your redmax or a stihl BR600, but you don't need a 120 cc saw either to cut pecker poles. Such a machine would have been overkill for my needs, simple logic.

enjoy your redmax, I will enjoy my toy . :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
JS, every tool has its purpose. I described my needs earlier in this thread and after carefully comparing the specs, prices, etc. this machine seems to satisfy my needs, both in terms of specs, use, and price. I need it mostly for small jobs, so I got a handheld, and one of the best there is imo. Besides, the specs you quoted are for a BG85, not the SH85, so my machine has a nice option which your redmax doesn't, which also is of value to me. ;)

Why Stihl : I have a super dealer (good price and provides excellent service for parts of my collection saws, which is a great value to me). I own a lot of Stihl equipment and I know it's excellent value for the money.

Sure, I could have your redmax or a stihl BR600, but you don't need a 120 cc saw either to cut pecker poles. Such a machine would have been overkill for my needs, simple logic.

enjoy your redmax, I will enjoy my toy . :hmm3grin2orange:

I agree in the sense that for purpose other than leaf blowing, hand held is lot more manuable, you don't have a tube to limit your reach and you don't have a big brick on your back when you try to get around tighter space. I like to get a back pack, but I'll still keep my hand held.

Maybe I'll get another hand held and do a double pistol ( blower!!) slinging when I do leaf blowing. Double the blow, double the power.:hmm3grin2orange:

Don't laugh, how many times you have to switch hands when leaf blowing to clear a wider path. If you can only hold with one hand like using a back pack, you have to constantly step side to side while blowing just to create a wider path.:biggrinbounce2: :hmm3grin2orange:

BTW, does the BG85 or SH85 have all metal crankcase?( both half)? Some Stihl engine like the FS90 4Mix have the lower crankcase made of plastic.....Polycarbonate if that make people feel better.

EBZ8000-RH BackPack Blower

BG 85 D Blower

It's kinda funny when you compare a hand held blower to a back pack.....

Last edited:
Don't know if anybody's mentioned it or not...but I've used the ole' stihl several times to start stubborn brush fires. Works wonders, even in the rain! Sure does help get things going!

Not sure about the handheld 125 Husqvarna, but I really like my 125 backpack blower. For the lower end unit, it does a real good job. It's light weight also which is a consideration for me, since I'm a light weight.

Kevin
Blower2.jpg

Not trying to hijack the thread but the shape of this blower is reminiscent of the old VW Beetle engine. Could this be the next extreme project? Right in line with a V8 chainsaw?

Other applications

My FIL uses his to blow the crap off the combines after a day of harvest. It makes servicing them much easier in the morning.

My son and I made a hovercraft out of an electric TORO blower. It worked very well, but the extension cord became an issue.

My dad has an old leaf blower, don't have a clue of the make/model, that he adds a fogging attachment to and sprays the yard for mosquitoes. He mounts it on the back of his pickup with some plywood and drives around his couple acres and gets the job done nicely. He has even come to my house and done it when the city gets behind.

Latest posts

Back