Leaf blower, lot more useful than just blowing leafs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, does the BG85 or SH85 have all metal crankcase?( both half)? Some Stihl engine like the FS90 4Mix have the lower crankcase made of plastic.....Polycarbonate if that make people feel better.

From what I see, it has indeed a metal crankcase. All the shrouds, handle etc are plastic. If you intend to buy a handheld, know that stihl will launch new models early this year. The new ones will all have a cat and better Antivibe. The new model replacing the SH85 will be SH86-D and is a little more expensive. The blower will become BG86-D.
Since I use it only for homeowner use, and was offered at a bargain price, I took the 2007 model.

BTW, does the BG85 or SH85 have all metal crankcase?( both half)? Some Stihl engine like the FS90 4Mix have the lower crankcase made of plastic.....Polycarbonate if that make people feel better.

attachment.php

Can you tell us what part in the picture is plastic that your referring too???

Last edited:
It's all metal.... and almost all Stihl "plastic" is PA66 or PA66-GF - Glass Fiber filled "Nylon". I don't know anywhere where they use polycarbonate.

Last edited:
From what I see, it has indeed a metal crankcase. All the shrouds, handle etc are plastic. If you intend to buy a handheld, know that stihl will launch new models early this year. The new ones will all have a cat and better Antivibe. The new model replacing the SH85 will be SH86-D and is a little more expensive. The blower will become BG86-D.
Since I use it only for homeowner use, and was offered at a bargain price, I took the 2007 model.

The blower I want is the KM-BG... A $129 (MSRP) atttachment to a KM blower that on a KM55 performs like a BG85, and on a KM130 like a BR550! Should be available here shortly..

attachment.php

Can you tell us what part in the picture is plastic that your referring too???

The lower half, not the cylinder. I thought I got the idea from Lakeside, may be....that was a while ago. I repeat..... I thought only, if it is not Lakeside.......SORRY!!!! I don't quite remember. Polycarbonate, Nylon.....they are both strong but just not metal!!!!

The lower half, not the cylinder. I thought I got the idea from Lakeside, may be....that was a while ago. I repeat..... I thought only, if it is not Lakeside.......SORRY!!!! I don't quite remember. Polycarbonate, Nylon.....they are both strong but just not metal!!!!

Part 15 is metal ...

The blower I want is the KM-BG... A $129 (MSRP) atttachment to a KM blower that on a KM55 performs like a BG85, and on a KM130 like a BR550! Should be available here shortly..

Hehe, just looked in the 2008 catalogue and see what you mean. You need the KB powerhead though, and it's not a compact, easy to use tool imo. I prefer a dedicated tool for each job, not a universal one with interchangeable attachments, but that's just me.

Forgot to mention : a nice improvement of the BG86D or SH86D is the tube attachment to the powerhead : looks much better ! (and I don't like it on the current model)

Hehe, just looked in the 2008 catalogue and see what you mean. You need the KB powerhead though, and it's not a compact, easy to use tool imo. I prefer a dedicated tool for each job, not a universal one with interchangeable attachments, but that's just me.

Forgot to mention : a nice improvement of the BG86D or SH86D is the tube attachment to the powerhead : looks much better ! (and I don't like it on the current model)

What are you guys talking about??!!! I went on the Stihl website, I don't see BG86 or SH86. You guy have inside info??!!

What are you guys talking about??!!! I went on the Stihl website, I don't see BG86 or SH86. You guy have inside info??!!

H@ll no, I just received the 2008 catalogue, and it's all there. Dunno if it will be introduced in the states this year or not, Lake has inside info for sure, but ....;)

JS, every tool has its purpose. I described my needs earlier in this thread and after carefully comparing the specs, prices, etc. this machine seems to satisfy my needs, both in terms of specs, use, and price. I need it mostly for small jobs, so I got a handheld, and one of the best there is imo. Besides, the specs you quoted are for a BG85, not the SH85, so my machine has a nice option which your redmax doesn't, which also is of value to me. ;)

Why Stihl : I have a super dealer (good price and provides excellent service for parts of my collection saws, which is a great value to me). I own a lot of Stihl equipment and I know it's excellent value for the money.

Sure, I could have your redmax or a stihl BR600, but you don't need a 120 cc saw either to cut pecker poles. Such a machine would have been overkill for my needs, simple logic.

enjoy your redmax, I will enjoy my toy . :hmm3grin2orange:

i'm sorry,, when i posted the specs for the BG85,,, i thought the SH85 was a BG85 , with a salad shooter and a garbage bag attatched... again i'm sorry !!!

just curious,,,,,do you keep the vaccum attachments, and throw away the blower attachments,, or visa versa ???? being a dedicated tool -right tool for the right job kinda guy ?? LOL

Guys
I just discovered a big hand held blower by Maruyama ( not the ones you smoke in your younger days!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

It is a 30cc CE300 tier 3 complienced engine, 1.7 hp. Stronger than my Shindi 34cc. For doing thing other than leaf blowing, I think hand held is a little bit more manuvable.

Not sure about the handheld 125 Husqvarna, but I really like my 125 backpack blower. For the lower end unit, it does a real good job. It's light weight also which is a consideration for me, since I'm a light weight.

Kevin

I ran my neigbor's Husky 125 backback for a few weeks until I got my new BG55. I liked it just fine, except I think the handheld Stihl has as much blowing power as the little Husky backpack, and the Husky's tube kept coming off in my right hand and I had to re-attach and tighten the thumbscrew.

another use

I made my son a wuffel ball thrower. He loves it. Just plug it onto the tube and let it rip.

just curious,,,,,do you keep the vaccum attachments, and throw away the blower attachments,, or visa versa ???? being a dedicated tool -right tool for the right job kinda guy ?? LOL

LOL, you seem to be a bit touchy, mr wiseguy. Just give me one good reason why I should throw away any of the attachments ? :monkey:

Latest posts

Back