leaking oil seal from gear box

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimma

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I normally do all my own mechanical fixes, not because of any skill I have, but because I can"t afford to have someone else do it. Now that I have gotten up there in age, my memory of how I once did it or any skills I may have acquired, have decreased dramatically. I have a vermeer 352 that is leaking oi from the lower gear box. I have changed a seal similar to this before but can't remember what was involved. Before I take off the cutting wheel and hub nut and washer to expose the seal, I thought I would inquire from anyone who has done this, ( and remembers how). Does the seal just sit in there or is there a method or gear or bearing puller that is needed to coax the seal out? Seems pretty straight forward, but then again they all seem that way until you get them apart. Any comments would be appreciated.

Sorry, just came across several older posts on replacing this seal. Embarrassingly, some from me. I don't recall ever using a gear puller, but that is apparently what you have to do to take the drive fange off. Don't remember that at all. . Thanks for checking in anyway. Though to get old.

Some drive flanges are worn on the splines. Are you sure it’s the seal that’s leaking? I seen the washer under the securing bolt leak when the splines are worn. I silicone the washer to slow or stop the leak. If the splines are worn they make a plastic we inject into the splines to tighten it up. They do it a lot on drive shaft splines. Without pictures I’m guessing your application.

Thanks Huskybill. Turned out it was the seal. But when I ordered the seal from the parts book, it was not the right seal. Vermeer had a notation in their manual that the parts guy checked and they said there was another seal for a newer gear box. That was the one. But when I went to install it, there wasn't enough clearance between the "keys" and the cover for the seal to seat properly and I ended up taking it apart and putting it back together sever times in order to get it the clearance it needed. Turned out to be a battle. But when I got it seated, no more oil leaks. Thanks for the tip on the plastic on the shaft.

Adfter I got it done, I really didn't have that much confidence in it. But I've ground a couple dozen stumps since then, and it still looks good.

Back