leaking woodmaster

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike adk

Reaction score
I have an 11 year old Woodmaster 4400. We've gone through all the usual issues together: air leaks around crusty door gasket, replaced blower fans, replaced thermal sensor. Soon to replace water level sensor in front. I have a water leak problem now I'm not sure how to fix... The blue water line entering (exiting?) the back of the boiler, above and to the right of the thermal sensor is leaking quite profusely. Not leaking from the elbow joint out of the boiler wall but rather from the pex pipe and collar joint. Nothing anywhere on how to replace... Thoughts? Thanks!

If you can get to it and cut the clamp you can always put a new crimp on the pex. If that doesn't work they sell high temp heater line and you can run a few inches of that with hose clamps and just a splitter out to the main line. Pictures would help a bunch. Lots of smart folks on this site.

I have an 11 year old Woodmaster 4400. We've gone through all the usual issues together: air leaks around crusty door gasket, replaced blower fans, replaced thermal sensor. Soon to replace water level sensor in front. I have a water leak problem now I'm not sure how to fix... The blue water line entering (exiting?) the back of the boiler, above and to the right of the thermal sensor is leaking quite profusely. Not leaking from the elbow joint out of the boiler wall but rather from the pex pipe and collar joint. Nothing anywhere on how to replace... Thoughts? Thanks!

20190704142816521.jpg

The leak comes from the top of the silver collar.

Just cut the crimp band off pull the pex off the barb (might have to cut it) and replace. The crimpers aren't too terribly expensive. Some places loan them out too.

I have had nothing but problems with sharkbites and my boiler. They worked great when I first installed them. But after the first season they leaked everywhere. They are rated to 200 so they never reached the max temp. I recently changed all of mine out for true pex fittings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used shark bites at my heat exchanger so I could "easily" remove it to clean it. 1 failed last year, and 1 failed this year. I took them off and put crimp fittings on.

Side note, since I don't turn my owb off in the summer anymore, my heat exchangers don't clog up, and I haven't lost a pump in 5 years.

Like what others have said I would replace the elbow and put a new crimp on. If you can't save the pex you can buy it by the foot at most building stores and can just splice in a foot or two. There is a difference in heat rating so get the high end stuff. Not a fan of shark bites cause I have experienced fails after a year or two so I would crimp it. Some stores will rent you the tool if you don't want to buy one. They are not overly expensive though.

Latest posts

Back