Learned a valuable lesson today, involving a porta wrap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millbilly

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I don't know if this has ever been mentioned or not I did a search no results.
Been in the game 40 plus years, always wrapped around near by trees for lowering. Bought a porta wrap a few years ago, great device. The following is what I learned.

Chunking down 6 to 800 lb. limbs 2.5 wraps no problems at all. Thunder storm blows in raining buckets right before lunch, We wait out the storm and go back to work after lunch. Pay attention now, The ropes were soaked from the rain, I didn't think much about it, put my wraps on and prepared to lower the next chunk. The water acted like a lubricant, absolutely no resistance straight to the ground. The god saving grace was that I had nothing in or on the loops. I might sound like a knuckle head, but it was something that never crossed my mind.

Yep. You'll need an extra wrap or two when the ropes are wet. I use two different size portys, the drum and winch on the GRCS and a homemade brake that's a lot like the aluminum drum on the GRCS but steel and bigger. I also swap between 4 different size ropes. All job dependant. So nothing is the same for me most of the time. I always rig a couple of lighter pieces before I go heavy. I've also started incorporating aerial friction in my rigging so that's changed everything again. Don't take anything for granted.

Back