• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

learning tree worker

anthony h.

anthony h.

ArboristSite Lurker
Website
Visit site
i am wondering if i could have a good career in arboriculture if i do not go to college for it. i don,t have the money or the time right now. maybe someday, i will. i started tree work about a year ago and really like it. i have learned alot on the job, about propper tree work practices.i have bought books to help myself learn more i would like to have my own buissnes someday maybe. if some could write back and let me know how they learned and became pro tree workers

Darin

Darin

The Big Kahuna
Staff member
Website
www.ArboristSite.com
Well, I am not going to lie. It doesnt hurt. What you are doing every day will help you a ton. Experience is definitely the best way to learn. I went to many classes for arbiculture but never finished my degree. I didnt like math or literature classes as I wasnt interested. You can buy the books from ISA that would help you become a certified arborist. I think this would be more benificial to you rather than literature classes. Although, if you decide to go for your own business, a business class would be smart also. For now keep up your experience in the industry. And actually I have learned a lot from reading posts in the residential tree section. Others experiences are just as important as yours.:cool: Good luck with your occupation.

Deere John

Deere John

ArboristSite Operative
Website
Visit site
I think that if you are really interested in the profession, it will be obvious as you will be fascinated with all aspects of it and want to learn more. Sound like you? So far, I got that impression from you. How you learn is not that important - it is more important to know that you must learn the right way, and seek the way to learn it, formally or informally.

I didn't take too many formal course in tree care. As a forester, I transferred alot of broad-scale forest knowledge down to the single tree level on my own too, lots of reading, watching others and asking question.

You will probably do well with a fascinating interest to power you. Darin is right on the money with the business courses. All the technical knowhow in your own field will not guarantee you will suceed in your own business. Those concepts are easily learned, but are very important.

Welcome here, and good luck.

sonny

sonny

ArboristSite Guru
Website
www.cottersales.com
On the job training, is the best you can get.& learn from the old timers, They have more knowledge than you can imagine. Books are great, & you need them to get certified. We use to hire arborists from the local college. Well what im trying to say none were kept around. The ones that worked out were the ones that wanted on the job training. & were not afraid of getting dirty.They all went to become the best treemen. I seen alot of good treemen leave to go out on there own, Just to come back to work for us, cause they had no buisness training.I hope I made some sence.