leaving rope in tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rmihalek said:
Is there any downside to leaving my climbing rope in the tree over night or even for a few days? I climb in my yard, so there's little risk of theft, but I was wondering if it's known whether squirrels like to chew on the rope or anything like that.

What I've been doing so far is to pull the climbing line down while at the same time sending a tag line up so then the next day I just have to pull my climbing line back up. It's not a big deal, but it takes another few minutes out of an already tight afternoon schedule.

Thanks,
Bob
take the bags off your slick line throw line send it up instead, now snap out of it and take your life line with you or i will climb up to the crotch and sprinkle battery acid , gasoline and be generally unkind to your rope cuz yer not there!

rmihalek said:
Is there any downside to leaving my climbing rope in the tree over night or even for a few days? I climb in my yard, so there's little risk of theft, but I was wondering if it's known whether squirrels like to chew on the rope or anything like that.

What I've been doing so far is to pull the climbing line down while at the same time sending a tag line up so then the next day I just have to pull my climbing line back up. It's not a big deal, but it takes another few minutes out of an already tight afternoon schedule.

Thanks,
Bob

I had a rope tied arround a branch that was going to come down the the next day adn by the time I got back the next morning, the rope was still there, but after the branch came down and my ground crew had to untie the rope, I ended coming down and fiddleing arround with it for about 10 minutes. what a pain. I learned that if your not ready to take it down yet, don't tie it up, take all your gear and tools home; clean and sharpen everything and get there as early as posible.

rmihalek said:

Thanks,
Bob

Make more time to climb. Practice with the throw ball. Set and reset yor life line all the time. Use friction savers and take ur time, lots of time. Speed comes with knowage. Do not rush and have much patience.

When you lock tieing up a rope, do you wrap the rop e arround your foot and then over your other foot to creat a lock or do I have it all wrong?

Well...

Grizzly said:
When you lock tieing up a rope, do you wrap the rop e arround your foot and then over your other foot to creat a lock or do I have it all wrong?
You can do it that way Grizzly.

If I understand you correctly I would warn that it is slower than the standard way which from my understanding is for the rope to run vertically down and on the outside edge of one foot (let us call this the primary foot, in my case my left foot) then kick in under that primary foot by hooking the outside edge of the other foot (being my right foot and secondary foot) bringing the secondary foot then up level with the primary foot which will cause the rope to drape over that secondary foot and come under the primary foot then bringing the secondary foot up over the top of the primary foot and pressing it down on top of the primary foot which in turn creates a virtual full wrap around the primary foot and a virtually full but untended or non-bound wrap on the secondary foot which in turn if the primary foot is held rigid and the secondary foot is pressed down hard on the primary foot, enough friction to clamp the rope enabling you to then virtually stand up on this binding of rope and two feet HOWEVER I also, to create further friction and more acute clamp pressure and binding, whence raising the secondary foot (right foot for moi) turn my right foot toes hard to the left and pass them behind or between my left leg and the rope so as to then fully entrap the left or primary foot in a complete loop of rope ensuring a more secure clamp on the rope...

I do this as I have previously broken bones and torn ligaments in both ankles and torn ligaments in both knees so cant apply enough pressure the standard way to "stand" on the rope in that method...

I hope this helps, if you would like a photographic rendition of this explanation please let me know and I will put something together asap...

All the best,

Jarrah

Squirrels chewed through the hydraulic lines on my bucket truck. Those little rats will surely eat a rope if left in the tree.

as complicated as you implied it I just need to know how to avoid the pain tha I got on my primary foot towards the pinkey toe and the arch of the foot. Is there qa foot plat or suport that makes it easier to climb and not hurt you feet and how can I make my precent shorter so when I go to repell or climb up a tree.

Um, excuse me...

Grizzly said:
as complicated as you implied it I just need to know how to avoid the pain tha I got on my primary foot towards the pinkey toe and the arch of the foot. Is there qa foot plat or suport that makes it easier to climb and not hurt you feet and how can I make my precent shorter so when I go to repell or climb up a tree.
I buy boots that have what is called a "shank" in them this is a rigid piece within the sole of the boot that assists in keeping the sole of the boot stiff therefore placing less pressure on your feet...

It also sounds like possibly the rope is too far forward on your foot when you foot lock but I am only guesticulating...

Keep the questions comming...

Latest posts

Back