Legal Issues When Trimming a Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mh9162013

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
If a tree is on your neighbor's property, but much of the branches hang over your property, can you legally trim the part of the tree over your property? What if the tress is on the property line - who's responsibility is it to trim that tree?

I'm sure the exact laws would depend on where you live, but are they normally found at the state, county or municipal level? I guess I'm curious to know what the "standard operating procedures" are for you tree professionals out there.

The first course of action is to discuss the problem with your neighbor before cutting anything. This is not only good manners, it is required in some jurisdictions.
You're correct, it varies by jurisdiction. I would start at the local, municipal level. You may, for instance, be required to give the neighbor 30 days notice of intent.
Generally, you can legally trim branches overhanging your property. You can legally shoot someone, if it is self defense. That doesn't mean you can just randomly shoot people. In some areas, the tree actually has to be posing a serious risk to life and property before you can whack away at it. There are usually procedures you must follow.

In all cases, it's one hell of a lot less likely to be a problem if you calmly discuss it with the neighbor before chopping his tree up.

The neighbor's property is managed by a realty company. I got in touch with them and they said I had full permission to do the tree trimming, as long as I wasn't acutally taking down a tree.

Thanks for the advice!

Latest posts

Back