Let’s see those firewood stacks! Anyone heard of MeWe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys have some cool storage ideas, I especially like the ones that get air introduced under the stack by using concrete blocks. Wish I had put some kind of floor in my wood shed.

Attachments

• IMG_2144.JPG
    IMG_2144.JPG
    938.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2143.JPG
    IMG_2143.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
This is what the “Floor” of the wood shed with the tarp sides and ends looks like. There is probably about 5-6” between the ground and the bottom of the the floor rails, I used 2x6 lumber for those, it does give excellent circulation that way EE9CBDC2-6338-4668-A335-9C69E28BF876.jpegDAEE4165-C1B6-494B-B4C9-58FB1F56F131.jpeg

Doug

You guys have some cool storage ideas, I especially like the ones that get air introduced under the stack by using concrete blocks. Wish I had put some kind of floor in my wood shed.

Neat technique! I've considered going with walls so we could just toss in instead of stacking. I would still use blocks on the bottom of the tossed piles I would just have to had place them to on the first layer then toss on top. We do get more in by stacking but it takes more time.

Here are some details of how the blocks are used. Some blocks catch the ends of two stacks cutting down on the number of blocks needed. I've used some of these old blocks for almost 30 years.

005.JPG

End detail.JPG

I use plastic skids under my wood in the shed. Have to clean out under them from time to time but it works. Tarp on one side that gets pulled up over the summer months works well. Will need to expand this year to make room for more wood. Good problems.

Attachments

• 16145493554624476770634569102540.jpg
    16145493554624476770634569102540.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 14
Well, I'm not Del, but 50 states said there was not a lot of fraud and corruption to change the results, therefore, the election was not stolen. The former guy lost. We move on.
If there wasn’t enough fraud to change the election, then It’s worse than I thought, this means 80 million people did vote for sleepy joe!!!

You are tired of blatant likes yet repeat blatant lies.

You sir, are a useful idiot.
C’mon there Del, I’m Stihl waiting to hear what Blatant Lies I have been Repeating

I even posted some of my Woodstack pics just for You.

This is going to be a Looooong Wait, isn’t it???

Doug

Yes it is.

Was that mossy oak?
The pile in front of the house?
That was a Huge Maple the neighbors across the street had taken down, I’m going to mill some, they want a couple benches from it, and what isn’t suitable for milling, will become BTU’s

4B5B9080-520A-4915-9D38-E98EE241828F.jpegED69C061-FCAC-4809-8AEE-76D38B0D6FB5.jpeg8EC03C8C-56EC-4E45-98E0-B974C5E8171F.jpeg
Just for a scale reference, that is a 6’tall fence behind it

Doug

The pile in front of the house?
That was a Huge Maple the neighbors across the street had taken down, I’m going to mill some, they want a couple benches from it, and what isn’t suitable for milling, will become BTU’s

View attachment 892733View attachment 892734View attachment 892735
Just for a scale reference, that is a 6’tall fence behind it

Doug

It really looks humid in your area. Does it add much to how long it takes fire wood to season?

Here in GA is logs are left on the ground they start to rot within a year. I guess it is the heat and humidly though we don't get moss like you do.

It really looks humid in your area. Does it add much to how long it takes fire wood to season?

Here in GA is logs are left on the ground they start to rot within a year. I guess it is the heat and humidly though we don't get moss like you do.
I guess that you haven’t seen some of the threads that I have posted in, the wood shed with the tarp sides and ends, I NEED those for wood to be burnable.

464E1DC6-E0D9-4357-A1F7-6C397E05857F.jpeg9C16AAB1-8310-45E9-A4B9-5824F59ACA6E.jpeg03C3CACF-08A8-4819-9681-0F59377E51F1.jpeg
This is the result of Top Covering only

Some can get away with not covering at all, if I didn’t cover mine, it would never be usable

Doug

I went out yesterday and cut the last load for the year. According to the grain elevator scale I had 5800lbs of Ash in the back of the truck. That gives me 10 IBC crates full of Oak and Ash for next year. Definitely not as much as some others in here, but I shouldn't burn through it all in one year.

thumbnail_IMG_3530.jpg

I guess that you haven’t seen some of the threads that I have posted in, the wood shed with the tarp sides and ends, I NEED those for wood to be burnable.

Some can get away with not covering at all, if I didn’t cover mine, it would never be usable

Doug

I end up giving our firewood at least two years to season in the wood shed.

If stacks are not covered in this area they soon sprout mushrooms.

Guessing I'll be burning over night from here on out. Have about half the shed full give or take. Plum full it holds a whisker over 10 cord. Did well so far this season, guessing till were holding 60* overnight I may be at another cord of consumption. Which would put me in the 6-7 cord for heating season this year. Normal cold winters I can go through darn near the whole shed.

View attachment 892737View attachment 892738View attachment 892739

Doug
Gets nice enough up here, I can let a pile of logs lay for a year or 2 (off the ground) and they dont have rot issues. I see plenty of people with open outdoor stacks around here as well, some covered some dont bother.

First time I've double stacked in years. Top row pallets are individually covered, mostly to keep leaves out. The leaves felt together when wet, on the tops and around the bottom of the stack on the pallets. Round stack, square pallets, so there is a pocket that traps leaves on the pallets themselves. This restricts air flow and keeps in moisture from the weather, from rain and snow both. Have yet to see how the bottom pallets have seasoned. The plus is only a little over half the pallets have ground contact, which is hard on the pallets. About a four year cycle for replacement. Another plus is using fewer covers, which have a two year replacement due to UV break down. The top row however uses two pallets under one stack, turned 90° to criss cross the pallet stringers, and the lower one turned upside down for more board surface area contact. I'm hoping it works. Time will tell shortly.
483 full pallets.
IMG_3596.jpgIMG_3576.jpg

24' x 32' wide. Dirt floor. One side, 8' x 24' has an old board fence laid on 4" x 6"'s to level it. It has held up for years and years. The rest is dirt floor, which I very much like. I use 2" x 4" x 8' sections cleated together on edge. When that section of firewood is used I pick it up out of the way, so no tripping, etc. Makes it easy to get a trailer full of wood in when stacking, an wheel barrow or trailer when taking it out. The end posts are 8' 4" x 4"'s. I use a hand auger style post hole digger in our sandy soil. It takes a bucket of water, as the sand in a barn or shed is extremely dry.
This way I can change up how I stack, so I can refill the sections to accommodate equipment for the winter, or rotating without burying or moving next winters wood. Plus there are always 4" x 4" around if I need one for something else.
I've changed the rotation to cross stacks the past few years. Much easier to reload. Probably holds less, but still two to three year rotation, plus all the hand tools are not cluttering up the garage. A few years ago some dead fall poked a hole below the beam that went unnoticed until the osb was shot below it. water traveled the joints of several sheets. I've made four repairs the last three years. I keep the leaves off it now. I added the first photo of another more obvious deadfall.
.IMG_3294.jpgIMG_2914.jpgIMG_4787.jpgIMG_4782.jpgIMG_2941.jpgIMG_4788.jpgIMG_2920.jpgIMG_2797.jpgIMG_3705.jpgIMG_5491.jpg

Back