Lets see some custom lawnmower cutting/hauling setups

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We lost the mower deck on my parents Kgro PowerPro 18hp lawn tractor the other day. My brother tossed it in with some scrap metal that they were getting rid of. :msp_angry:

It is geared fairly well, but I don't know how much it will really do. It looks like it may get used for hauling things out to the woods, and maybe a little wood hauling.

Any suggestions for beefing up the tow hitch on these?

Found an old Craftsman Lawn Tractor on the side of the road that needed a carb overhaul ... took my old concrete mixing pan and welded up a little frame with some more random lawn tractor tires..and voila
View attachment 206191

i hope the photo goes through-this uploader for photos is, umm, different

Dont like making trips, Broken?

Hate to hit a bump with a load like that, dang. I usually wont go that much, because i always find the one bump or hole big enough to send her over. Murphys law. Clever trailer setup, though.

It's an 11HP Briggs, and my son who loaded up the trailer! He said "put more on make it high!" so he went until he couldn't go any higher without using a stepstool (he's 6). It was his mower for the yard to drive around on too. Has to get rid of it to make room for our new project mower (more below).

Actually-using the mud pan as a bucket it is really quite stable; my only problem was making the rear axle with tires only 36" to fit through the gate. I wanted 46-48" but ended up sacrificing width for usability between the front yard and back. The pan is 34".

The frame for trailer I made out of an old hospital elevator bed, it was 1.5x3 box tube with a 1 7/8" trailer hitch bolted on. From there threw together a overbuilt rear axle with 1" axle shafts for the wheels. It will be getting an overhaul once I get some garage time to make the dump on it with an electric piston and replace the mud pan with a 3'w x 6'l flatbed with some stake sides because it would look cool. Hopefully by spring !! also will have to paint it to match the new (1974) firewood hauler/mower/resto project.

pictures attached
View attachment 206446
View attachment 206447

New wood hauler/mower. It was my uncle's which was taken apart by (?someone?) and I reassembled after bringing home 10 boxes of stuff and a frame LOL. Power is a KohlerK301AS. Now I need to find the snowplow which may be up in their attic in the garage.
View attachment 206451

Re-powered & Resurrected Craftsman DYT400 = Tra-skidder

Well before I started heating my house with wood I knew the importance of a good hard working tractor. Unfortunately when I made this conclusion my only "workhorse" was a BEAT 80's lawn chief. Needless to say I was elated when I saw a 2004 Craftsman DYT4000 tractor for sale on the side of the road. "Busted, $100 bucks" I figured, even broken it's better then the lawn chief and with my own machine / fabrication shop at my disposal I figured it was worth a shot. After some investigation the 24hp v-twin bent a connecting rod, cracking the block, bending cam shaft, ruining the oil pump & destroying the entire motor. Thankfully some quick searching on Craigslist yielded me a '85 Briggs & Stratton 16hp opposed twin. After a successful engine swap I decided to build my own 3pt / sleeve hitch assembly an implements. I fabricated a winch powered 3pt system, a 36" box blade, ripper shank, yard rake and recently an extended top link with log grapple. In the past 3 months I've skidded over 3 cords of wood with my tractor/skidder aka the Tra-skidder. Of course it's no full size tractor but drop that 3pt into the dirt, pull out the winch cable & it'll drag 3-400 lbs of wood.

Tractor.JPG

Hitch%20Up.JPG

Box%20Blade%202.JPG

IMG01130-20111107-16482.JPG

IMG01078-20111002-1331.jpg

See my other projects @ Left Field Engineering

Your BIL gave you a great deal. Looks like he really took care of the old beast too. I don't think that rig ever spent the night outside.:clap:

That wheelhorse is nice. It looks well taken care of. With the 8 speeds, and the 12hp, you will loose traction long before you run out of grunt. I have an 8hp wheelhorse with the 8spd trans for my daughter, and it is pretty well unstopable. They are a great tractor. Congrats.

Yea that Craftsman is a great tractor. I mean I know I'm pushing the limit of the "yard" tractor transmission, but I take it easy on it. You lawnmower racers are crazy, I prefer to a cage around my a$$.

That's why I built this:

P1020209.JPG

vlcsnap-2010-03-06-19h04m35s243.png

Work hard, Play Harder :rock:

Wow.. i am very impressed with the three point and drawbar setups. I thought i had figured out what setup i was gonna build then somebody posts something different and now i have to rethink everything geez, lol. Loving the diversity and different degrees of customizing. Dont stop i want more!!!

Here's my mowing set up. I have a LOT of off camber stuff with pond banks, ditches and retaining walls. Normal wide mowers scalp too much and I needed some flexibility while not breaking the bank. With this set up I cut 1 1/2 hours off cut time(down to a little under 3 now total) and gives a great cut. Turns on itself and works great for me. Been running it for 15 years now. Pull mowers last about 5 years and got another rider the same size. Still running the original caster wheels but the rear wheels wear out on the pull behinds about every 5 years as well.

MVC-011S.JPG

This is when I first made it. Made a frame work with a ball hitch type hook up on the front of the pull mowers. It's 1/4" so it's bullet proof. Mounts to the wheel location and 2 bolts through the deck. Used pipe for trailing arms and bending them with the pipe wrenchs here for the spacing. I welded a gusset across after it was right.

MVC-012S.JPG

Here's a close up of the hitch. It's 1/4" angle iron notched out and heat bent around on the mower mount side. Makes for a nice looking, sturdy piece. Design allows movement everywhere but still a rigid mount which is needed for tracking on off cambers. attachment takes about 5 seconds as its a single bolt drop in through a collar held in place by gravity. No breaks in 15 years so it's passed the abuse test ;) Cut width is a 64 inch swath.

Redneck to some but a lot cheaper AND does a better job for me than a high dollar setup.

CCAR: Another feature of my cable system is by changing the orientation of the pullies I can also have power down. It's a quick conversion, takes about 30 seconds. When I have it configured for power down I use bungee cords as a spring return. I don't use this feature that often because the weight of the implements is normally enough but it sure makes washing under the deck easy.

Hitch%20Down.JPG

Latest posts

Back