ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's See Them Knives

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors!!!' started by buzz sawyer, Oct 31, 2017.

1. buzz sawyer

buzz sawyer Addicted to ArboristSite

Western border of mid-southern northern WV
    I thought there already was a thread on knives but can't find it. If anyone is looking for a source for kinfe blades, I found one by surprise.
    I bought a new blade for my power lawn edger and noticed the old blade was worn into a nice curve - hmmmm, might look good as a knife blade. I used a file to see how hard the steel was and the file would barely touch it. I went ahead and made this short bladed knife - 2 1/2" x 3/16" thick. Handle is 4 3/4 long, cherry. I had to weld a washer in the middle of the blade where it mounted on the edger. Turns out it took a really wicked edge. Still shaves hair after several chops into a piece of oak.

Attached Files:

ray benson and crowbuster like this.
  2. colin.p

colin.p ArboristSite Operative

What, no knife thread? I started back into acquiring knives about a year ago, started out very budget oriented and moved up fairly quickly to better quality.. The knives that started my obsession were the Buck Vantage Select models and of course the OKC RAT 2. As of now, I am leaning toward Benchmade, but am seriously thinking about buying a Spyderco PM2.

Well, I was saving towards a Spyderco PM2 but as I was browsing the website of a local knife store (Kutter's) in Ottawa, I saw they had the Benchmade 535 Bugout in stock. Now that particular knife really didn't interest me too much when it first was announced, and quite frankly, the scale colour blue was kind of a turnoff. I was rather intrigued with a different Benchmade, the 531, but didn't really like the style (rather "daggery") but I have to say, this little knife (535) really hits all the right buttons.

It is super light (the reason why it was introduced in the first place) and carries like a dream. It took awhile to loosen up and now flicks open/closed with ease. The Bugout was promoted as a "bugout"/ camping/hiking style of knife (even though I haven't quite figured out exactly what "bugging out" is) and I'm sure it is all of that, but one thing I can say is that this little bugger makes a cracking good EDC blade. This is going to make serious competition for the 940, at least for my 940.

Here it is in comparison to the Mini-Griptilian. Please forgive the lousy picture taking.

Attached Files:

ray benson and crowbuster like this.
  3. Stihl 041S

Stihl 041S Tree Freak

1DF6CD77-B42B-4E92-AE12-424E502B31F5.jpeg 7B838892-DA68-457C-AC13-7C4036695F4C.jpeg
    Rick Menefee. Taper tang
    Calls it his 16 bore.
    My EDC

ray benson likes this.
  4. Stihl 041S

Stihl 041S Tree Freak

3C610E0C-540C-421D-AC61-44FF709FC96B.jpeg
    Scale would help wouldn’t it....

5. 1Alpha1

1Alpha1 100% USDA certified abnormality-free.

Depends on who's looking for me.....and why.
    A good friend of mine made this for me. About 6 months later, he passed away. He was a skilled knife and small boat builder.

P1060583.JPG P1060584.JPG

6. Yarz

Yarz ArboristSite Lurker

I made these two last winter (sorry for the blurry pictures):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've got 4 more that I started this winter. They're hardened, but I have to finish them yet.