Lets see your big load

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U&A

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Now that i have your attention ( pun was obviously intended) lets see a nice new pile of wood packed in your stove.

Pacific Energy summit

Cherry, maple and oak.
7944caf8456b1e6e0676a3f1e1fa8c76.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know, I don’t hardly ever fill my stove like that any more. I’ve discovered I can get plenty of heat out of three or maybe four splits now that I’ve gotten on a 2+ year drying schedule. If I’m looking for a longer duration burn I just use two big pieces.

Filling the stove like that would result first in worry that I was going to melt the stove and second a stove full of coals. The second isn’t all that bad but I find I get more heat from a fire than coals. Three pieces at a time that much wood would heat my house for 24 hrs. All at once, maybe 12.

That ought to last all night.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Just reloaded it up right now. So about 11 hours and had a good amount of coals to start it up again.[emoji41]. I love this stove.

You know, I don’t hardly ever fill my stove like that any more. I’ve discovered I can get plenty of heat out of three or maybe four splits now that I’ve gotten on a 2+ year drying schedule. If I’m looking for a longer duration burn I just use two big pieces.

Filling the stove like that would result first in worry that I was going to melt the stove and second a stove full of coals. The second isn’t all that bad but I find I get more heat from a fire than coals. Three pieces at a time that much wood would heat my house for 24 hrs. All at once, maybe 12.

I don’t do it this full often. Just from time to time when i know i will be home to keep an eye on it. And the stove was not packed full of coals this morning, it was down to Ash with just enough coals left to start a new fire

But the summit allows me to control it very well. Now if that wood was like in the 10% moisture range it would have been a stupid idea.

I agree that smaller fires are better. I usually stick with a medium sized load so I can be comfortable leaving the house. Generally we throw in three larger splits in the morning and there’s enough coals left when I get home from work to start the fire again.

burn hot for an hour two at least once a day it really cuts down on chimney cleaning .

I burn hot during the day and only damper down at night.

on an every other year cleaning there is hardly a cup of dry fine powder creosote that comes out and nothing at all form the first 8 feet of chimney only get the black up near the top where it is open to the outside air and can start to cool

Heres a bigger load. Gonna be gone for about 12 hours.
I dont normally load it like this , only if were going away for the day which is not all that often. Just kill the flue and it just burns real slow.
232c6cb32d1c31599e4b3245f34ee3ef.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

With all due respect,

Are you guys all retired? LOL

I keep hearing only a couple pieces at a time. That's great if you or someone else is home all day to load it every 2 or 3 hours, or if you don't mind re starting it every evening after work. If you work and are gone for 10 or more hours at a time, I don't see much of a choice other than loading it full. I'm talking older stoves now, not a new 18-24 hour burn time that I see claimed my many modern manufacturers. Most old stoves will be lucky to do 8-12 hours on a FULL LOAD. If I only throw a couple small pieces in my stove, it'd be out cold within 3 or 4 hours.

Am I missing something or is this info geared towards those almost always at home?

I dont normally load it like this , only if were going away for the day which is not all that often. Just kill the flue and it just burns real slow.

Looks great!!

I bet that will keep the house nice and cozy

With all due respect,

Are you guys all retired? LOL

I keep hearing only a couple pieces at a time. That's great if you or someone else is home all day to load it every 2 or 3 hours, or if you don't mind re starting it every evening after work. If you work and are gone for 10 or more hours at a time, I don't see much of a choice other than loading it full. I'm talking older stoves now, not a new 18-24 hour burn time that I see claimed my many modern manufacturers. Most old stoves will be lucky to do 8-12 hours on a FULL LOAD. If I only throw a couple small pieces in my stove, it'd be out cold within 3 or 4 hours.

Am I missing something or is this info geared towards those almost always at home?

I completely understand your point.

If i have smaller splits like in my picture i don’t really ever fill it much more that what i showed. Them small splits get the stove hot FAST. But if i have larger splits and rounds..... i will fill it as close to the baffle as i can without touching it ....I don’t like to go much higher than the fire bricks on side though. Technically not supposed to go higher than the fire brick but I’ll mound the pile up in the middle a bit taller.

But full to the top of the bricks at the sides and a bit higher in the middle to reach the baffle is definitely a FULL load and o lot of wood. Not something an inexperienced person should do.

It’s really cool being able to fill it that much and control the heat and then seeing that huge pile of wood go down to a tiny pile of ash.

Like i said before about moisture content. If the wood is averaging around 15-20% i can fill it as much as i want with larger splits. I would NOT fill it that much if the wood was at or under 10%. Iv learned that lesson. But not very often do I have wood that is 10% or less.

Is the Drolet a catalyst stove or secondary burn type (tubes).

Three bigger splits= good heat for 6-8 hrs with enough coals to relight fire for 12hrs

Stove chock full of smaller splits = good heat for 6-8 hrs with coals to relight fire for 12 hrs but the house gets up to 85 degrees for a while during the first 4 hrs.

Unless it is below zero I have no reason to load my stove to the brim. The dog might like it but other than that it’s just wasteful. That and I don’t like leaving the house with a roaring fire or throttled all the way down.

Just over 12 hours later. Lots of coals still from the last big fill.
6f3f18c771f412700903e6683216ca61.jpg

You cooking some tomato juice[emoji23][emoji23]. That thing hasn’t moved yet.

Latest posts

Back