• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Lets see your boating/ fishing pictures!

wood4heat

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
As I've gotten older getting out on the water has become my favorite past time. I love fishing with friends, camping with the family or just heading out for a cruise. I am fortunate to live in an area with more lakes and rivers than I can ever get bored of as well as a short distance to the Pacific coast. I thought I'd share a few pics of my time on the water and would love to see yours as well!

One thing I love to do is head out on the Columbia River with the kids and find a nice beach on one of the many islands to swim.

by wood4heat on Arboristsite.com

We also camp at a lake on the Oregon coast about 20 minutes from Winchester Bay. The lake is great for tubing, and fishing. Lots of bass, yellow perch and rainbow trout. We'll usually head over to Winchester from here and spend a day crabbing or fishing for salmon.

My wife can't keep her eyes open for these pics. :nofunny:

So lets see how you spend time on the water!

wood4heat

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
My dad has a place in Pacific City. A few years back he had a dory boat built. It's a flat bottom boat that can be dropped in the surf. On the way in we hit the beach with enough momentum to slide clear of the surf. It's great, no waits at the boat launch!

Pacific City has great fishing, we normally drop a few crab pots then head out a couple miles for bottom fishing. We do really well for ling cod and other bottom fish. One of my favorite things to do is just to cast a spinner towards haystack rock. We hook into sea bass about every third or forth cast and they're a lot of fun to fight with a light action rod! In the summer there is usually a pretty good run of coho or chinook. This is a Coho I caught on a particularly nasty day last summer. We actually cut the trip short and went back in not long after this guy was caught.

Dad says he had 63 salmon caught on his boat last summer.

wood4heat

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
Anybody like crab? How about some crabbing pictures?

Cape Dissapointment at the mouth of the Columbia River:

And a pot coming up:

Pulling a pot in Winchester Bay:

My preferred pot puller:

And my deck hands. They absolutely LOVE crabbing! They both hang over the edge with anticipation every time we pull a pot!

Lunch time on the high seas:

and my ugly mug:

And the spoils of our labor! In Oregon were allowed 12 crab per person. The have to be males and at least 5-1/4" across their back. Some days we toss anything under 6" back, just depends on how good the fishing is and how many we want to crack! This was a slow fishing day, we fished pretty hard and got 17 between two of us. We kept everything that was legal, a couple were over 7" though!

wood4heat

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
A few off shore pics.

Arriving at the fishing grounds outside the Umpqua River Bar:

Slow day, lots of trolling:

My cousin with fish on!

Back in port calling it a day. Caught no fish but we had dropped a couple crab pots and had 12 nice keepers:

chucker

chucker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Anybody like crab? How about some crabbing pictures?

Cape Dissapointment at the mouth of the Columbia River:

And a pot coming up:

Pulling a pot in Winchester Bay:

My preferred pot puller:

And my deck hands. They absolutely LOVE crabbing! They both hang over the edge with anticipation every time we pull a pot!

Lunch time on the high seas:

and my ugly mug:

And the spoils of our labor! In Oregon were allowed 12 crab per person. The have to be males and at least 5-1/4" across their back. Some days we toss anything under 6" back, just depends on how good the fishing is and how many we want to crack! This was a slow fishing day, we fished pretty hard and got 17 between two of us. We kept everything that was legal, a couple were over 7" though!

one of the best places to camp is at fort canby with the best perch fishing I have ever done!! crab's and cod off the north jetty... brings back old memories! just don't want to remember the bar's though! one in ilwaco and the one at the mouth of the river in the same night/morning heading out with a big head....... lol

wood4heat

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
one of the best places to camp is at fort canby with the best perch fishing I have ever done!! crab's and cod off the north jetty... brings back old memories! just don't want to remember the bar's though! one in ilwaco and the one at the mouth of the river in the same night/morning heading out with a big head....... lol
We camp over at Ft Sevens and fish buoy 10 quite a bit and you are right! It's not uncommon to have 4' and 5' breakers in the channel. You can forget about the bar! The Columbia River Bar is the proving grounds for the Coast Guard!

wood4heat

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
Here is a pic on a shad fishing trip with my dad and brother. Shad are a lot of fun to catch but full of bones. I wouldn't recommend eating them but they make excellent crab bait!

My dad lives on the other side of the river and it takes about an hour to get to his place by car. By boat I can be there in about ten minutes and pick him up at the marina on his side. Here we are anchored with our lines out. My dad is telling stories from his youth. My kids LOVE his stories!

After dropping my dad and brother off we picked up my wife and found an island to bbq, drink a Corona, and let the kids swim. This is my definition of living!

wood4heat

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
How about some island camping! No camp fees, no reservations, and I can be on an island in less than an hour after leaving my driveway! I love sitting by the camp fire at night drinking a beer, watching the river traffic go by, and listening to the waves lapping on the shore. Plus when it's time to go home we never get stuck in traffic!

The boat gets pretty stuffed though:

One of our favorite beaches:

It takes a little work to level the tent though:

This has to be better than Saturday morning cartoons right!