ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

Lets see your boating/ fishing pictures!

Husky Man

Husky Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Let's try this again :)

Some Salmon from 2015

My First Mate's 12# Chinook
[photo=medium]4880[/photo]
[photo=medium]4881[/photo]

My 21# Chinook
[photo=medium]4877[/photo]

My 32# Chinook
[photo=medium]4879[/photo]
[photo=medium]4878[/photo]

Heading out Crabbing
[photo=medium]4882[/photo]
[photo=medium]4883[/photo]
[photo=medium]4884[/photo]

My Favorite Deckhand
[photo=medium]4886[/photo]

A successful Kokanee trip at Lake Billy Chinook, Central Oregon
[photo=medium]4888[/photo]

Doug

Husky Man

Husky Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
LOL, mine is 21 years old. I can take it out for a beer!

She's not real fancy but a solid boat that has provided a whole lot of enjoyment.

Heck W4H, your boat is just a young whipper snapper compared to ours, our little Beachcraft (17') passed drinking age a long time ago, 1982, she's the wrong end of 35 now, but still gets us out fishin' and crabbin' , and purrs like a Kitten with a warm bowl of milk and a comfy lap handy :yes:.

Those Arima's are Real Popular down on the Nehalem where we fish, there is usually at least 3 of them moored at the Wheeler Marina, with the 17' the most popular size, but we often see the 19's and an occasional 22.

Doug

wood4heat

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
Great pics Husky Man!

You ever been to Odell Lake in Central OR? One of my favorite spots in the world! I’ve pulled a lot of Kokanee out of that lake!

Husky Man

Husky Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Never been to Odell, but spent many vacations on both Lake Billy Chinook, and Prineville Reservoir.

That was the only trip we really had any Luck fishing, but then at the lakes fishing hasn't been our priority like it is at the coast.
Our little Beachcraft just has the 3.8L Buick with a 2 BBL Carb, so it wont pull ME water skiing, but it manages the kids on tubes and wake boards just fine.
I wish it was set up better for a kicker, but I have several props, and change them out based on what we will be doing. When fishing a 15 pitch can troll fine, but is a bit slow getting from the ramp out to the Jaws, but is still pretty easy on fuel trolling. If we are mostly crabbing, a 17 pitch works well, more Giddy Up Go, and we can hang the Sea Anchors out, if we feel like fishing. If we keep the load Light in the boat, a 19 pitch does well tubing and wake boarding, if a bunch want to go watch it's back to the 17 pitch.

Our boat is even less fancy than yours, but the Wife and Step Kids didn't grow up around boats, like my Sisters and I, so to them it's the neatest thing since Peanut Butter and sliced Bread, for me, it's what I remember a lot of when I was young, and gets me out on the water :), and honestly, the new boats are to curvey and bloated looking for my tastes, I'm a traditionalist. The boat that I would Like to have for fishing the coast would be about a 1997-2002 Bayliner, either a 2452, or 2859. Both aft helm hard top cruisers, the 24 would be more manageable fishing the Nehalem River and Bay, the 28 would be more comfortable out in the ocean, when one fits the budget, it will be a matter of which I find the right price/condition/equipment package, either would be great, secretly, I like the idea of the 28, except launching it solo, the Wife isn't comfortable around docks and trailering the boat we have now, never mind a 24 or 28 footer, she isn't comfortable backing the trailer down the ramp, especially on a busy day, so I end up doing the Chinese fire drill myself. But after all these years around boats, I can often Chinese Fire drill our boat in or out by myself faster than a lot weekend warriors can launch or retrieve with help :confused:

Doug

wood4heat

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ive camped at Billy Chinook but never with the boat. I’ve had our canoe there though.

I hear ya on the Chinese fire drill and weekend warriors! When my wife comes along she will pull the truck and trailer up the ramp and park them but she won’t back the trailer down to retrieve the boat unless there is no one else waiting. A lot of times we go mid week when it’s just me and the kids so I’m running back and forth.

There is a restaurant on the water where we launch most often. I love going there the first hot weekend of the year to watch the circus unfold on the ramp!

I love the lines of the Arima’s just as you like your boat. My dream would be to keep it for rivers, lakes, and bays then pick up a Kingfisher 3325 Destination for Tuna trips and long weekends on the water! http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...7FCF2CEEE4D8E8DB1E4CF757DC4C01444&FORM=IQFRBA

Husky Man

Husky Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm a life long boater, my parents were fishing buoy 10 in a 16 footer 3 DAYS before I was born, they bought the float and shell for our boathouse when I was 6 months old, they did the electrical, plumbing and interior work themselves. There are still plenty similar to ours out there now, but back in 65-66' the boathouses weren't anything like some of them you see these days. It was a simple place, Metal roof and siding on a log float, large family room and kitchen area, 2 small bedrooms and a 3/4 bath, toilet, sink, stall shower, plus the boatwell, paneling on the walls, acoustic tile ceilings, but what a place to spend the weekends growing up, I wouldn't trade childhoods with todays kids for ANYTHING.

What ramp/restaurant are you enjoying? I don't remember the boathouse being at the Aqua terrace moorage, that was closed when I was very young, but we were "Plank Owners at Big Eddy Marina, among the original group when it opened. We had a Premium slip, fourth house from the shore end of "A" walk, no other houses upstream of us, what a view of the river and Mt. Hood! Another great view, was straight down the dock, Big Eddy had a private ramp, that before the moorage expanded, and parking got short, was open to the public, for a fee. We could sit on the deck, and watch the ramp antics of weekend warriors. Not as frequent as the ramp mis-adventures was the "See water, and Go types" that had no idea what the channel markers meant, there are some rocks between Big Eddy and the wing dam just below Chinook Landing, we would occasionally hear a boat buzzing along and then suddenly WHAM, no lower unit :surprised3::buttkick::dumb::D.

Did you camp "E" loop, the group camp, or the lower campground at Billy Chinook?

I see in your profile that you're a Fire Fighter, we had several former District 10 Firemen in our circle of Friends on the river, Plus I have a Brother-in-Law who is a Fireman/Paramedic with Canby, and a Cousin, who is with TVFR.

We have a LOT in common, looking at your pics, it looks like you guys like Leavenworth, Wa too, not to mention shooting as well.

I have an uncivilized early morning coming up, so I gotta go, chat with you more later

Doug

wood4heat

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
We usually launch at the Port of Camas Washougal. The restaurant is the Puffin Cafe. Used to be really good Caribbean food but a couple years back they changed up their menu and it’s mediocre at best now. I used to love their jerk chicken tacos with mango salsa or garlic pulled pork on coconut rice but those were both dropped. Now we run the boat to Hayden Island and eat at the Island Cafe. Really good food but there is always a wait. There is also The Deck on the dock by the Sextant on Marine Drive. It is decent and you can always get seated but no one has the built in entertainment like the Puffin Cafe!

We used to have friends with property above the rim on the cove palisades side but last time we were there we stayed in Deschutes Campground. Don’t remember which loop we were in but it was left of the entrance as you entered. At the far other end was a trail that led up above the rim. I thought it was a nice campground.

Husky Man

Husky Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hi W4H,

I Don't know if they have always named the campgrounds at Cove Palisades, or if that is something they have done since I was a kid. The Deschutes campground you stayed in, is what we always refered to as the "Lower Campground ", and consists of A, B and C Loops, down in the canyon, yes it is a nice campground. "E" Loop, is near the top of the hill, as you start down into the canyon, on the Crooked River arm. The Group Camp Area is between the Crooked River Bridge, and the Deschutes Campground, you stayed at, and has IIRC, sections for 3 separate groups, designated with "D" site#s.

We went to The Cove Palisades "Cove, or The Cove, to us kids back then" AKA, "Round Butte", which is the name of the Dam that creates the lake. Then, my Wife and Step Kids refer to it as "LBC" for Lake Billy Chinook, several names for the same place, but all bring back Great Memories We have stayed in all 3 sections of the Park, and Love them all.

The Pic of the Kokanee, was from 2014, when we rented a houseboat, rather than camped, it was Great, and we would like to do it again, but we did miss having a campfire, fires aren't allowed on any of the beaches a houseboat can access, just the campgrounds.

The Puffin Cafe, is that the floating restaurant? If it is, we have eaten there, and my Wife mentioned wanting to go there again last summer, but we never made it.

Whatever became of the "Parker House", or "Parker's Landing" over looking the marina there, as I recall, the last time I was by there, it seems as if it was boarded up and closed. We used boat up to "Parker's" for the brunch buffet, they had really good food.

Doug

wood4heat

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yup, the Puffin Cafe is just downriver from the boat ramp. Been sorting through my pics and found one from a few years back. We were camping on the Washington side of Government Island just across from Ackerman Island and went to the Puffin for dinner one night, this is tied up to their dock:

by wood4heat on Arboristsite.com

And this was from the Island Cafe on Hayden Island:

And The Deck off of Marine Drive:

In the summer I like to run the boat all the way to downtown Portland and meet my wife. The kids and I will spend the day exploring the islands and swimming before meeting her at what used to be a floating Newport Bay on the waterfront. It closed sometime in the last year but I'm hoping they will open something else there, it was a neat spot. Anyway she carpools to work so we can give her a ride back to Camas. Sure has to beat sitting in traffic!

Not sure what happened to the Parker House, it may have been before my time. We moved to this area in 2006 and only bought the boat in 2012.

Husky Man

Husky Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hey Wood4Heat and Backyard Lumberjack, are you guys dropping your crab Live and Whole, into boiling water when you cook them?

My recently Passed Away Brother in Law taught us to chop them in half with a large knife or small machete, pop the shell tops off, shake out all the Yuck and rinse before dropping the cleaned halves into the cooker.

OMG, did that make a difference, my Wife didn't care for the back meat before, now it is her favorite part of the crab.

We lost "Woody" the end of September to Lung Cancer, I'm still trying to get used to knowing that he won't be at their place in Nehalem anymore, Foss Rd, will never be the same.

My Wife's Sister and Woody had only been married for a little over 3 years, but in that time he had taught us so much about catching and cooking seafood.

Before Woody's tutoring we had fished the "Legendary " Tillamook Bay, and always seemed to Limit Out on Trophy Sized SEAWEED, although I have had Good Luck crabbing Tillamook Bay, I couldn't catch a Fish there to save my life.

Woody gave us a lot of advice, and in 2015, fishing the Nehalem River and Bay, we put 13 fish in the freezer.

Unfortunately, Woody hadn't taught us about Halibut yet, so we are going to have to learn that the hard way.

We lost a Great Friend, he will be Missed Greatly, but Never Forgotten.
I Won't be able to net a Salmon, or chop a Crab without thinking of Woody

Doug

wood4heat

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
Sorry to hear about Woody, sounds like he was a good guy.

I started cooking them as he showed you a few years ago. I whack them between the eyes with a fish whacker to kill them. Then pull the back off to clean then and break them in half. Another benefit Ive found of this method is I can get more in the cooker! Kinda helpful when you’ve got 36 or more crab to cook.

I’ve fished and crabbed outside the jaws in Garibaldi but never in the bay. I have crabbed Netarts Bay and done ok. My wife and youngest don’t care for the big open water so Netarts is where I take them. It’s a bit more “low key” than Garibaldi! Plus my dad has a Place in Pacific City so it’s an easy drive up three capes scenic rt to get there. If I’m with friends and the conditions are right we will fish Garibaldi. It’s been a couple years since Ive done that though. We do amazingly well in my dads Dory off of PC. And there is no wait at the launch ever! Just have to dodge the occasional surfer on the way in!:crazy2:

Husky Man

Husky Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
I would like to try crabbing Netarts Bay some time, but Bonnie and Woody's place in Nehalem is less than 10 minutes from the County Ramp by the Hwy 101 bridge over the Nehalem, and we have had our travel trailer at their place, they have 2 acres, since June of 2015.. It is liking having our own Beach Cabin. When we still lived in Forest Grove, it was only about 1.5 hours to Bonnie and Woody's, we got down there a LOT back then.

We bought our new (to us) home on Mt. Hood in May of 2016, now it is 2.5-3 or more hours each way depending on traffic, so 2016 and 2017 we didn't get near the time on the water as we did in 15'.
Great Person, willing to teach others anything that he knew, even Fishing related, and I have known some that act like their fishing secrets are a matter of National Security. Years ago, another driver and I were runnin home together from the Seattle area, BS'in on the CB, about the upcoming weekend, Dale mentioned that he was going Salmon fishing on the Columbia, I said "Cool, I grew up on the Columbia, where you going?" OMG, I would have offended him LESS, if I had asked if I could borrow his Wife Darcy for the weekend, I guess that a "Fisherman" never gives away his secrets, Okay, just BS'in here Dale, Sorry about that, BTW, mind if Darcy comes over for the weekend, ohh, no problem, you'll be busy fishin? Great, Thanks Buddy, Preciate it:buttkick:

I have even talked to some guys, that I was 99.99999% sure that they were flat out lying to me, Hey, your secret really isn't that important to me, just say so, if you don't want to tell, you just Pegged my BS Meter:****you:
Fortunately, I have met and known other people, that actually Enjoy helping other people, who enjoy the same things, Kinda like HERE on the AS forums :cheers::dancing::hi::yes:

Doug

Husky Man

Husky Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hey W4H, what have you had the best Luck with Herring or Spinners?

I'm Always the bait boy, so we fish a lot of plug cut Blue Label, but the First Mate will change out Her own spinners.
My Favorite Deckhand doesn't get to go very often, I'm always setting up her gear.
We typically use divers, I feel they are more consistent and predictable than weight, we follow that with triangular Flashers , we have a couple of Rainbows worth of those to choose from, I have had better luck with Herring, but the Wife will switch to spinners pretty quick if the Herring aren't producing.

We break all the traditional "Rules", we watch a lot of guys start before dawn and pull out by 10:00, in 2015 it was about our Seventh or Eighth fish before we caught earlier than 3:00pm.
Everyone tells us you HAVE to fish the bottom, we tried that and were catching a LOT of Sculpins. even caught a crab once, slow trolling, it was even a keeper. Watching the fish finder, the fish were all over the screen so we don't get as concerned about dragging bait on the bottom. One time the fish finder was showing a lot of shallow fish, so the Wife only pulled out 6' of line after her gear was in the water, and had a 15# Chinook on in under 3 minutes, fastest we ever had a fish on.

We also always heard you gotta fish the Incoming Tide, again we catch more fish on the Ebb Tide.

We Break all the rules and seem to catch fish all right, so I don't know if nobody ever explained the "Rules" to the Nehalem Salmon, if we are confusing the fish, or if the just felt Sorry for us, but 2015 was a Very Good season for us.

We still have to get the Favorite Deckhand her First Salmon yet, but she is a trooper, even suffered through seasickness out in the Ocean trying to get her Fish. She also asks for a turn at pulling pots when we go crabbing, the kid will give almost anything a try.

Doug

wood4heat

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
I honestly have no idea. Seriously, just when I think I have it figured out I find out I’m doing it wrong! I’ve always used a diver. The last time out with my dad divers were out and we were using weights. I still use Triangle flashers and always thought herring was the way to go but the last trip out they only wanted anchovies. I really don’t know! I always go on Arimaowners.com or Ifish.com and ask what’s working before I head out. That or call my dad, he’s retired and has nothing better to do than track all this stuff. He put over 60 salmon in his boat two years ago!

As far as fishing the rivers I have never done well. I don’t like sitting in the hog lines. Much prefer trolling. I’ve never considered tides in the ocean other than when to cross the bars. It does make a difference crabbing the bays for sure though! I do the best just before and after high tide. Low tide seems hit or miss. I think they prefer higher salinity at high tide. During ebb or flow they’re dug in and not moving much. Off shore tide doesn’t really come into play.

I am an early morning fisherman though. Can’t give you a good reason why other than it’s how I was raised. :laugh:

Husky Man

Husky Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
I haven't fished the hog lines in the Columbia, and there aren't any on the Nehalem, trolling in the river and bay as well as the Ocean. As far as fishing the Ebb or Flood tides, that was in reference to fishing the Nehalem river, a lot of guys prefer fishing the incoming tide, theory is the fish come in with the tide. I like fishing the Ebb, a bit into it and a lot of the weed has washed out to sea. I also like the Ebb, because I can troll against the flow, in the same direction the fish are moving, but at a slower over the bottom speed, and still have enough water flow to work the spinners and get action out of the herring. On the flood tide, if you have a 3 knot tidal flow, and your gear needs a 2+ knot through the water speed for proper action, you are moving at 5-6 knots, seems pretty fast to me, or you are trolling against the Flood, and your gear is going the opposite direction of the fish, giving them less time to see and react to your bait. Trolling upstream against the Ebb, I am moving at a slower speed, in the same direction as the fish, it gives the gear enough water flow to work properly, and gives the fish more time to see and react to the bait. Just MY theory anyway, Although I have asked the fish many times, they just won't tell if it makes a difference to them, but it does seem as though we have caught more fish that way.

Sometimes we do get up early, and on the water with the more serious fishermen, a bit depends on the time, and height of the tide, an extreme low tide, and the dock at our preferred ramp is bottomed out, and not enough water to launch the boat, but that is usually a good minus tide for that.
We often fish until dark, and are coming back to the ramp with the running lights lit, been many times that we were the last rig in the lot. Fortunately, we have spent enough time on the Nehalem, that I am pretty comfortable returning after dark.

I googled The Parker House, I didn't find when it actually closed, but it was demolished in July of 2010, and a New restaurant, The Black Pearl on the Columbia, was started in the Parker's former location, but the owner died before construction was completed, and the interior never finished, it is too bad, Parkers had Great food, when we used to go there, but some of the comments in the newspaper article about the demolition, claimed that the quality of the Food and service had declined in the final years, which is a shame.

Doug

Husky Man

Husky Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have always been a power boater, but some Friends of the family always had Sailboats, eventually "Boatitis" had them in a Beautiful 42' Pearson Ketch. Both Husband and Wife were Dentists, and they would take 5-6 weeks off every summer to Sail the Canadian San Juans, later Alaska, and after they retired, they spent IIRC about 18 months sailing the "Belvedere" around the world.

Their son Ryan was a couple years younger than me, used to love to come out with us, and get off that "8 Knot Monster" :), but that isn't surprising as our boat wasn't an overnighter by any stretch of the imagination, It was a 1968 Stevens 17 Flat bottom, V-Drive with a Corvette Spec 327 :crazy2:My Mom still has that boat, we bought it new, and picked it up at the Factory in Gardena, CA. when I was 3 years old. It was cheaper(and safer for the boat) to drive to Gardena and pick it up, than to have it rail shipped to Portland, OR. We not only saved money, but included a stop at Disneyland :happybanana: on the way. "Plum Crazy" is an SK class racing hull with recreational seating, which pushes the engine several feet aft, from where it would be located for competition, but allows for 2 rows of 3 across seating.

I will have to find some pictures to reload, some serious computer issues ended up with a completely deleted computer, but pics will make the name "Plum Crazy" very obvious :D, she is a deep metal flake Purple with white trim. With that 327 in the open behind you, and the V-Drive screeching like a Banshee next to you, people not familiar with boats will swear that you are going at least twice as fast as you really are. With the engine where it belongs, the Cavitation plate readjusted, or better upgraded to adjustable from the helm, and a higher pitch prop, she would be a lot faster, but she is set up for skiing with several people in the boat, and though doesn't reach her full potential, she has done what we want of her, and given us a lot of enjoyment for almost half a century now, and still going strong.

Doug

wood4heat

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
I would love to retire on a sailboat! Be self sufficient and travel the world! Sadly my wife is more of an RV person so we will likely go that route. At least part time.

I used to work with a guy who’s dad raced a J35 and later a hobie33 out of Everette WA. We would drive up and crew for him all the time! I loved being under sail. In the Hobie33 once the spinnaker was out it was like drag race to the finish line! That was a fast boat coming from the J35.

derwoodii

derwoodii

Tree Freak