Lets see your log splitters! Pics please :]

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Photo to go with the video

To go with the above video, not the best picture, from the cell phone....

Last edited:
Lovin' the Timberwolf

Had mine about a full year now and it's great.

Al:clap::clap:

attachment.php

nikocker...

I've know you love yours nikocker, your pics from an earlier post actually got me seriously looking at TW...so thanks for that!

Hi all. I see a lot of image icons but I get errors or the picture isn't viewable. I was able to view one video. Am I doing something wrong or have the picture links expired?

Am I understanding there are two splitters in one there? Guess you don't need the log lift if you have the beam that sits on the ground. Could almost keep 2 operators going with that - maybe more just to keep up.

Regarding the photos, the site was hacked a few years ago and lots of good threads are no longer useful. Almost as bad as photobucket screwing up so many forums by no longer linking photos. Search for some newer threads on splitters.

Am I understanding there are two splitters in one there? Guess you don't need the log lift if you have the beam that sits on the ground. Could almost keep 2 operators going with that - maybe more just to keep up.

Regarding the photos, the site was hacked a few years ago and lots of good threads are no longer useful. Almost as bad as photobucket screwing up so many forums by no longer linking photos. Search for some newer threads on splitters.
Will do. Yes, there are two splitting beams. One low push through for supers and the higher platform with the lift. Aactually, so far it seems that I do not need the wing splitter since I have the lift.

Speaking of the rotten guy who hacked us.
A old guy says to me one day " son, I have 35 Husqvarna chain saws" I say to him " that's awesome, how much wood do you cut a year"? He says " son I don't cut wood with them I'm a collector". I say back to him " wow that's still a lot of saws even for a logger" He says back to me " son I said I was a collector, if I was a logger I would have a Stihl". Makes perfect sense to me.

Thanks folks I'm here all week.

Ok, here is my factory made and heavily modified splitter. It was made here in Ohio where I bought it about 25 years ago. The valve is manual forward to split and has a detent for return. It is very fast - I would not want it any faster. Two stage pump will split anything.

It has 13 inch wheels and tows great. Bearing buddies of course. The engine is a Koehler Magnum 8hp cast iron cylinder that will outlast me. It worked great but needed a few upgrades.

I added a swiveling crane with electric winch with wireless remote control. There is a roller pulley with a capture bail on the end of the boom. There are outriggers with leveling jacks on a removable system on the rear end. I added a bracket and battery box on the frame gusset on the right side out of the way. I added a removable extended tongue on the front end. I added a bracket on the side of the beam where I fasten the quick release log table / cradle on the left side.

I use the crane for really large and heavy rounds. Since I have broken my back twice, it aches constantly and I am careful about reinjuring my back. For smaller stuff, I swivel the crane out of the way and pin it.
88FE97A7-FB15-480C-9655-02A5EE43D6EC.jpeg

Ok, here is my factory made and heavily modified splitter. It was made here in Ohio where I bought it about 25 years ago. The valve is manual forward to split and has a detent for return. It is very fast - I would not want it any faster. Two stage pump will split anything.

It has 13 inch wheels and tows great. Bearing buddies of course. The engine is a Koehler Magnum 8hp cast iron cylinder that will outlast me. It worked great but needed a few upgrades.

I added a swiveling crane with electric winch with wireless remote control. There is a roller pulley with a capture bail on the end of the boom. There are outriggers with leveling jacks on a removable system on the rear end. I added a bracket and battery box on the frame gusset on the right side out of the way. I added a removable extended tongue on the front end. I added a bracket on the side of the beam where I fasten the quick release log table / cradle on the left side.

I use the crane for really large and heavy rounds. Since I have broken my back twice, it aches constantly and I am careful about reinjuring my back. For smaller stuff, I swivel the crane out of the way and pin it.
View attachment 648675

I had serious thoughts of adding a jib and winch to mine the other day, I had some 24 x 24 Maple rounds that were H E A V Y !

Back when I bought the splitter, the dealer tried to sell me the optional hydraulic log lift - like on a Timberwolf. I foolishly told him that I don’t need that. He wisely tried to explain that the $500 option was a great investment in saving my back and someday I just might need it. Foolishly I did not buy the log lift. I have regretted it almost since walking out the door.

Every time I have used that splitter, I thought about the modifications that it needed.

Last January, I sketched out my plan. During the heat of July I gathered materials and components. In September I visited a welder who was open minded but annoyed and thought I was crazy, but willing to sell me half of a day when some real work was canceled.

During the first 2/3 of the welding, he was grumpy and could not understand the idea - working with him was like pushing a rope. Eventually, he caught on and joined in. By the time we finished, he said it was his idea. When we were finished, he was eager to show his wife what he invented to make splitting wood easier for me.

There is a receiver hitch welded under the beam at each end. The tongue mounts into the front end. The tongue is 2x2 with 1/4” wall. When splitting, I use a tractor to pull a trailer that has a rear receiver hitch onto which I connect the splitter. I made the tongue long so I can have room to leave the splitter hitched to my trailer while splitting and occasionally clean up and throw the splits into the trailer. Then for storage, remove the tongue to eliminate a trip hazard.

There is a 2x2 with 1/4” wall that mounts into the rear receiver that comes back and has a crosspiece for the outriggers. At that intersection the crane tower is mounted. That way the entire crane and outriggers and jacks can be easily removed to be modified or repaired.

So far, the modifications work great. Please tell me if you want more photos.

Best wishes.

Here's my old splitter. I built it over 35 years ago before I knew ****. Been waiting for the light (18# house beam) to twist up so I can build another one. She twists and flexes a little, none of my wood is huge so I'll just keep waiting.DSCN3791.JPG DSCN3793.JPG DSCN3794.JPG
The tool box is handy, that's an old Gravely tractor motor, tires & wheels off my old 88 F-250 on a 60's GMC "panel wagon" rear.

Latest posts

Back