Lets see your wood/coal burning units!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountryHermit

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New to me NEWMAC WG-100 wood/hardcoal burner keeping my family warm. Kind of a hasty hookup with the flex pipe but its only temporary. This thing is about as efficient as they get in my opinion. But thats coming from a fella who has been firing an ancient 1940's Sears Homart 600 series for the past 3 years. Any info or advice on these units would be great. No shame in admitting Im a newbie when it comes to firing a hardcoal unit. When it comes to wood firing this thing really puts out the BTU's in a hurry with the forced induction.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    841.9 KB · Views: 63
How many sq ft is your home?How warm can you get your house? Mines around 1200sq on the first floor and my wg100 will keep it around 70 so far. I'm pretty new to the hard coal firing game it takes some technique compared to soft coal. I'm used to shoveling a 5 gallon buck into my old unit.

the house is built on a slab.its 40 x80........when i burn coal have to regulate by opening windows on the coldest days of the year,,,with wood a comfortable 70's.....yes since new,it only gets better,,replaced all fire brick and fire blanket,,and I put a 5/16 plate steel in place of the broken heat sheild,,,cast iron base board......rite way was out of wares cave Va,,,,,rumor has it when oil went to 30$ a barrel in the 80s they closed shop with a warehouse full of unsold units...I saw on craigslist around 8 years ago someone in NH giving one away ,they bought a new old house and had never burned coal and wanted it gone free,,,I thought if they only new,,,and I do burn hard coal anthracite,love the smell That looks like a really nice stove you have,,coal puts out a very hot btu make sure your flex Duct is safe.for you and your loved ones.

the house is built on a slab.its 40 x80........when i burn coal have to regulate by opening windows on the coldest days of the year,,,with wood a comfortable 70's.....yes since new,it only gets better,,replaced all fire brick and fire blanket,,and I put a 5/16 plate steel in place of the broken heat sheild,,,cast iron base board......rite way was out of wares cave Va,,,,,rumor has it when oil went to 30$ a barrel in the 80s they closed shop with a warehouse full of unsold units...I saw on craigslist around 8 years ago someone in NH giving one away ,they bought a new old house and had never burned coal and wanted it gone free,,,I thought if they only new,,,and I do burn hard coal anthracite,love the smell That looks like a really nice stove you have,,coal puts out a very hot btu make sure your flex Duct is safe.for you and your loved ones.
Hey david I have somewhat of an update on my heating capabilities. It is now dipping the mercury down in the single digits here in mountainous western PA. I've played around with different firing techniques,i.e. draft adjustment and amount of fuel and have gotten a better grip on how to feed this little gem. Its a comfortable 71* inside my living room with it being the largest open room that connects to my kitchen overall length is 32x17w. The flex duct is away from any wooden rafter by more than a foot. Its crossed my mind to wrap them in some sort of insulating "fabric" just dont know what as of yet. I got this off of a local Facebook yardsale page, original retail is in the mid $3k range. I got it on the trailer for $1200. Thanks for your input on safety.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    860.5 KB · Views: 17
Gents,
I appologize for the lack of updating. Im currently deployed and my wife is holding down the fort so to speak. Shes currently firing it wood only and were supplementing it with Propane. Just installed a new propane unit for the days shes in nursing school. Keeps the wife happy to come home to a warm house and not have to worry on the weekends when she travels to NY to visit family. The house has infact not burnt down. Been a busy year but we love the NEWMAC. Any questioms shoot me a message.

Latest posts

Back