Let's talk about kickback...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And that has been covered time and time again in this thread has it not?

SEVERAL members have offered more than graciously advice on this. I dnot understand where the problem lies when the OP will not aknowledge these replies and ask pertenant questions as to how they apply?
But you choose to judge me by my answers? I think I have been more than helpful to this young man in his quest. He wanted saw suggestions, I gave them, he wanted to know where he went wrong cutting a limb and I told him that. He thinks he wants to learn how to safely climb, I have eagerly offerd my knowledge and tried to explain to him how hard it is to do that on your own (as I did).
But there have been little to no replies to helpful information, yet you call me out as the bad guy?
I never called you or anyone else out, I didn't used any names in that first post but it is a new day and we must move on.........

Last edited:
:)

Hey, Hey, Hey, since we are on "Apples," I really like Gala. Excellent eating apple. I have about 5 other favorites, but they are at the top of my list.

Now...back to our regularly discussed topic...

:)

Hey, Hey, Hey, since we are on "Apples," I really like Gala. Excellent eating apple. I have about 5 other favorites, but they are at the top of my list.

Now...back to our regularly discussed topic...

Hey now you really shouldn't mention those delicious sobs' if ya ain't gonna hand me one! I love those too they are my favorite of course, I will eat the sour green ones until I am sick!

Who cares about kickback anyways, now that you mentioned apples. There's a little orchard a bit from my house that has all kinds of apples- I go there about every weekend in the fall- all kinds of crossbreeds- Jonamacs, Jonagolds, too many to list really. Nothing like an apple right off the tree...

All the manuals I have seen for chain saws have a way to test the chain brake to make sure it works correctly. Do this and follow correct procedure for operating a saw and I don't see any reason why anyone would experience a kickback. Unless using the saw side ways, i.e. felling. I have experienced what one guy referred to as 'pushback' but I have not had one kickback.

All the manuals I have seen for chain saws have a way to test the chain brake to make sure it works correctly. Do this and follow correct procedure for operating a saw and I don't see any reason why anyone would experience a kickback. Unless using the saw side ways, i.e. felling. I have experienced what one guy referred to as 'pushback' but I have not had one kickback.

Get out of the desert and into a jungle pard it will occur as your hair turns more grey:laugh:

its hard ta get the lawn mowers ta kick back, but with tree work it happens every day all the time. kick back aint **** if u run the saw with both hands!!! thankx too the chain brake!!!! i can see where kick back could be a problem without the chain brake. anyhow be careful cause bad stuff can happen ta anyone anytime!!!!

Last edited:

Interesting post. But I have experianced kickback more when limbing a downed tree than any other time. Not paying attention is one way, letting the tip of the bar come out to far when cutting and it tries to jump at you when making an undercut while bucking. Taking a limb off and allowing the tip to hit the trunk accidently and have the bar try and come back at you.
I have rarely had an issue with kickback while felling a tree. Fortunatly NEVER had it happen when up in a tree, but I will. And I am afraid you will someday, just always watch the tip and know where it is!!

here is a very ninor in the tree kick back. went threw many layers in an instant. iiboom!!:chainsaw: kick back dont care what u r doing or where ur at it is part of working with sawz so be ready for it and u should be ok:hmm3grin2orange:

the angle of attack will determine how much kick-back your saw chain will give you. anything more than 10deg. is xtra dangerous.

Ok, if you want to bore cut, put the bottom of the pistol grip on your thigh, hold onto the handle bars securely and ease in. Your tip will be away from your body if it does fly out and you have better control with two points of contact on your body. Once again, I will say it, Full Complimentry chain will bore easier and kick back less.

I have always used used and was taught to use a bore cut when felling large leaning trees to prevent a barber chair occurring. You are starting the cut using the lower quadrant of the bar tip so as you insert the bar and increase throttle the tip of the bar should already be inside the cut as you rotate the saw into bore position. When you are within and inch or two of the back of the tree remove the saw and cut the small section of remaining wood and the tree will drop like a stone. I was taught this at college and have never experienced a kick back while practicing this. If the tree is too large for the bar to bore you can make series of progressively deeper cuts above the back cut to arrest any splitting.

When felling big leaning timber this is essential because no man or beast is strong enough or fast enough to react to to the split of that timber, it is akin to a pea being flicked off a ruler. With smaller trees I use a conventional back cut.

Last edited:
Get out of the desert and into a jungle pard it will occur as your hair turns more grey:laugh:

Jungle? Uh......Oh yeah a jungle. That's a place with a bunch of trees right? Yeah... we don't have anything close to a jungle here. Or a forest, unless tumble weeds count.

its hard ta get the lawn mowers ta kick back, but with tree work it happens every day all the time. kick back aint **** if u run the saw with both hands!!! thankx too the chain brake!!!! i can see where kick back could be a problem without the chain brake. anyhow be careful cause bad stuff can happen ta anyone anytime!!!!

A little info for ya. I have been using chainsaws since I was 15. And as I said, not one time have I had one kick back. I've used saws for tree cutting, fence demo, cutting poles and beams for retaining walls and many other tasks as well. Also, I wouldn't call it a kick back, but recently I mowed a back yard at an old house that is being sold (no one has lived there for 5+ years) where the weeds/grass were so tall you couldn't see the ground. After goin through with the string trimmer and looking for mower hazards, I began to mow the rest down. Crap I missed one.... I hit a metal pole sticking out of the ground, which was just high enough to catch the blade (old fence pole I'm assuming), causing the mower handle to get yanked out of my hands from the force. In fact, it broke the blade adapter right off the engine shaft. No I'm not making this up.

A little info for ya. I have been using chainsaws since I was 15. And as I said, not one time have I had one kick back. I've used saws for tree cutting, fence demo, cutting poles and beams for retaining walls and many other tasks as well. Also, I wouldn't call it a kick back, but recently I mowed a back yard at an old house that is being sold (no one has lived there for 5+ years) where the weeds/grass were so tall you couldn't see the ground. After goin through with the string trimmer and looking for mower hazards, I began to mow the rest down. Crap I missed one.... I hit a metal pole sticking out of the ground, which was just high enough to catch the blade (old fence pole I'm assuming), causing the mower handle to get yanked out of my hands from the force. In fact, it broke the blade adapter right off the engine shaft. No I'm not making this up.
:greenchainsaw: :newbie: im talkin tree work not fence cutting or landscrape. i use saws all day every day so dont tell me about somthin u know next ta nothing about:) another rep begger:laugh:

Last edited:
Interesting post. But I have experianced kickback more when limbing a downed tree than any other time. Not paying attention is one way, letting the tip of the bar come out to far when cutting and it tries to jump at you when making an undercut while bucking. Taking a limb off and allowing the tip to hit the trunk accidently and have the bar try and come back at you.
I have rarely had an issue with kickback while felling a tree. Fortunatly NEVER had it happen when up in a tree, but I will. And I am afraid you will someday, just always watch the tip and know where it is!!

I know it will happen eventually. When, is the question. When limbing a downed tree I use a felling wedge somtimes to keep the blade from getting pinched. I just keep it in my back pocket so it's there when needed. I started making wedges for the specific purpose of limbing trees after the're down so that I don't have to buy so many if/when they get cut by the chain.

I know it will happen eventually. When, is the question. When limbing a downed tree I use a felling wedge somtimes to keep the blade from getting pinched. I just keep it in my back pocket so it's there when needed. I started making wedges for the specific purpose of limbing trees after the're down so that I don't have to buy so many if/when they get cut by the chain.
:buttkick: if this wasnt the help the homeowner page id realy let ya have it!!:newbie:

I think you misunderstand what kick back is, it's not when the saw is pushed back from the chain binding or such, it's when the bar tip comes in contact with an object and it throws the bar up in your face so to speak.

Last edited:
Back