Let's talk chainsaw chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not being a smartass but why is the lefthand in danger when cutting? I'm pretty green still.

steve

I suspect that it is due to the fact that most folks are right handed and have already severed their right hand ;)

Injury statistics show the left hand experiences most of the injuries. The problem is rooted in folks not hooking their thumb under the bar and having their hand slip off the bar onto the running chain.

I got my Competition Extreme chaps from Labonville the other day. Nothing wrong with my five-year-old chaps...... no mishaps with them, but figured it was time to get the best chaps out there (going by all the talk here on AS). I went to one of Labonville's retail stores to purchase them, and got good, friendly customer service there. Since they are made right near the store I had contemplated asking for a tour of where they are made, but wasn't sure how receptive Labonville would be to that. Thought it would be interesting to see them made. For anyone thinking about purchasing a set..... they claim to be having a 20% off sale on all American made goods through the month of July. I have to assume these woulld qualify for 20% off since they are made right here in New Hampshire. Anyway..... they look very well made. Hopefully I will never need to find out !! :clap:

Chaps002.jpg

Chaps003.jpg

I got the stihl chaps last week and used them this past weekend. I like them but i have never had any other chaps to compare them with. I don't think ill ever fire up the saw without putting the chaps on again.

:greenchainsaw:

I'm not being a smartass but why is the lefthand in danger when cutting?

In addition to gwiley's reply, earlier, there are probably times when some guys try to hold onto a branch, or reposition it, with their left hand while cutting it with the saw in their right hand. Just a guess.

I like to point out that saws have 2 handles, we have 2 hands, and that that is probably not a coincidence.

Philbert

I brought a pair of pants from Bailey's. A real pain to put on but I had the chance to test them. Stopped the saw immediately! Now I wear labonville full wraps.

anyone know anything about the Pants that husky sells. i like those. too hot?input.:cheers:

I've got Husky pants and they are great. My dealer picked them up on closeout and sold for $25. I've got button suspenders on them. They are warm which is great in the winter, no so in the summer. For summer use I have Labonville full wrap.

FWIW, Stihlheads will pay much more for chaps/pants anything with STIHL printed on it.

I've got Husky pants and they are great. My dealer picked them up on closeout and sold for $25. I've got button suspenders on them. They are warm which is great in the winter, no so in the summer. For summer use I have Labonville full wrap.

FWIW, Stihlheads will pay much more for chaps/pants anything with STIHL printed on it.
i have husky chaps. see saws in sig.:laugh: :buttkick:

Found out just how important chaps are several years ago. Brought the saw out of a cut and for reasons I do not know I touched my left leg with the chain. Made a big mess of the chaps - did not make a mess of my knee. I have ECHO and LABONVILLE chaps and try to never run a saw without them. Especially important because I often work in remote places by myself.

Hal

Whatever chaps you go with get the full wrap variety. I have the Labonville fullwrap competition chaps and they are nice, stay put, they are a little hot in the summer but personally I dont care about a little extra heat. I take them off when I'm done cutting.

Any chap is better than no chap, Like any other PPE I do not think any of it is ever that comfortable! we wear Stihl chaps at work and when I cut firewood, they are nice for protection but I like them so when I kneel down I don't get the knees of my pants nasty. Also read the instructions on the chaps. I have stated this before on AS that you need to wash them every so often, it keeps the fibers loose instead of them getting bunched up in one area!

Full wrap is the way to go. Much less likely to rotate around your legs after contact with a saw. I like the Labonville's I bought.

I don't have chaps, I got the full pants. I figured, whut the heck, I am wearing pants anyway to go cut, why not then? Working out fine so far. Zip pockets plus a wedge pocket, works great.

I ordered a pair of chaps not long after I dreamed I was felling a tree and cut my knee. I was in my 60's then, so, I've been cutting trees most of my life. Was in the woods with my saws, and gear, when that dream came back to me. I put everything down, went back home and got a pair of hunting chaps. That done, I was back in the woods, and noted the treetops suddenly swishing to and fro. The tree I cut didn't fall right, and hung up. I was tired trying to free it when I dropped the saw against my knee. Hunting chaps don't stop saw chains. I only got a good bleeder that healed up w/o stitches. Chainsaw Chaps are very rewarding.

I ordered a pair of chaps not long after I dreamed I was felling a tree and cut my knee. I was in my 60's then, so, I've been cutting trees most of my life. Was in the woods with my saws, and gear, when that dream came back to me. I put everything down, went back home and got a pair of hunting chaps. That done, I was back in the woods, and noted the treetops suddenly swishing to and fro. The tree I cut didn't fall right, and hung up. I was tired trying to free it when I dropped the saw against my knee. Hunting chaps don't stop saw chains. I only got a good bleeder that healed up w/o stitches. Chainsaw Chaps are very rewarding.

Your premonitions. I have seen that. I was getting really bad vibes about one day of cutting. And the only saw left was the big one, I will be extra careful. It wasn't me.... I was getting vibes for one of my fella's He had a accident and gashed his foot (two tendons severed). Really pay attention to odd feelings like that. spooky how it works.

It's an hour down a rough 4x4 road to the nearest town (no hospital) where I cut. The Labonville full wraps are worth their price in safety. You could bleed out before you get to town or the care flight comes.

Back