Lets talk skidders...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah,our mountains are not as tall as up north but i had a yarder job unhooking chokers for a sreaming detroit with probably 8 to 10 main line splices that you could see,i only worked the job for maybe 3 weeks,out in sullivan,but the ground was too steep to deck on the side of the road so the crane op. would take a 5 6 log turn and sling them onto the road where i would set chokes on em and skid them to a better place to load with a d6,guess i was 17 or so...there were some decks in excess of 20 feet tall on ..well just steep ground but no i dont know much about yarding at all

Yarder logging is waaay more work than skidder logging... It keeps a guy in shape. :)

Sorry Bullbuck

=
bullbuck;1608773]yeah,our mountains are not as tall as up north but i had a yarder job unhooking chokers for a sreaming detroit with probably 8 to 10 main line splices that you could see,i only worked the job for maybe 3 weeks,out in sullivan,but the ground was too steep to deck on the side of the road so the crane op. would take a 5 6 log turn and sling them onto the road where i would set chokes on em and skid them to a better place to load with a d6,guess i was 17 or so...there were some decks in excess of 20 feet tall on ..well just steep ground but no i dont know much about yarding at all[/QUOTE

I just reread one of your messages, and realized that you are not from Colorado, but New Mexico right? Don't know where I got that you are from Colorado:bang: So, now I feel like a :monkey: cuz I was on here saying about how Colorado loggers esp. around north park, did not do any yarder logging, at least not when we lived there pre '88, but I did not know the methods they used in your area. I have driven through there and they have some nice looking pine! Again, sorry:cheers:

trust me you aint gonna hurt my feelers one bit.i know what i have done and what i feel i need to accomplish yet and that is my selfish version,but to all who post its amazing what i have learned from you guys!thanks and keep posting:cheers:

Where is here? I stayed in an R.V. park that was Close to Elbe, right next to Alder lake I think? We were logging in a big second growth patch up by Eatonville. We waited around for quite a while for some Old Growth that was supposed to be harvested by Kapowsin, but unfortunately, it never happened, at least not while I was there.:cheers:[/QUOTE]

Morton is my shopping town, unless a trip to Chehalis/Centralia is feasible.

I think the old Skagit yarder might start up soon. :clap:

Where is here? I stayed in an R.V. park that was Close to Elbe, right next to Alder lake I think? We were logging in a big second growth patch up by Eatonville. We waited around for quite a while for some Old Growth that was supposed to be harvested by Kapowsin, but unfortunately, it never happened, at least not while I was there.:cheers:

Morton is my shopping town, unless a trip to Chehalis/Centralia is feasible.

I think the old Skagit yarder might start up soon. :clap:[/QUOTE]

Do they still have the "Woods" Saw shop in Morton? I remember they were not as stocked as the one in Sedro Wooly, or Madsens. Madsens is my favorite.

also no harm intended towards californians,in general i have just run into some real gems up here that have skewed my view of the group as a whole,but to be fair i should meet the individual before lump in the whole group...

oh yeah and i found out some more transformers news,they were supposed to have already begun filming the third one but the economy has put the project on hold,i dont think it will be on hold much longer as the second one is alrady half way to the 400 mil.$mark,and i was hanging out at applebees downtown and apparently megan fox tyrece and other stars would hang out in there from time to time..id sure like to meet that girl with those wolf eyes shes got, man what a package!

oh yeah and i found out some more transformers news,they were supposed to have already begun filming the third one but the economy has put the project on hold,i dont think it will be on hold much longer as the second one is alrady half way to the 400 mil.$mark,and i was hanging out at applebees downtown and apparently megan fox tyrece and other stars would hang out in there from time to time..id sure like to meet that girl with those wolf eyes shes got, man what a package!

She's quite the looker, that's for dang sure! :cheers:

Do they still have the "Woods" Saw shop in Morton? I remember they were not as stocked as the one in Sedro Wooly, or Madsens. Madsens is my favorite.

Nope. Woods Logging left Morton a couple years ago. They are still in Longview and Sedro Wooley. The only place to buy a saw in Morton is at the feed store. Sad. The appliance store closed too. I had planned to give them some business.

On a cheerier note, here's a new fashion trend for here. The rigging crew and fallers are all wearing little radios this year.
attachment.php

That little orange thing on the back is the buckle? Part of the radio suspension system.

And, the best thing of all, this hooktender is packing WEDGES!:clap::clap::clap:
attachment.php

They're doing a pretty decent job. The hooktender was ahead in rigging so was working with the crew. The bottom of the unit is skidder ground, the top is yarder.

It was definitely a Monday today. Problem with a truck and then I had to get pulled back on the road-- I thought there was road under the slash. :cry: No harm to pickup or me. The truck was not involved. I just picked a bad place to park. :cry:

Nope. Woods Logging left Morton a couple years ago. They are still in Longview and Sedro Wooley. The only place to buy a saw in Morton is at the feed store. Sad. The appliance store closed too. I had planned to give them some business.

On a cheerier note, here's a new fashion trend for here. The rigging crew and fallers are all wearing little radios this year.
attachment.php

That little orange thing on the back is the buckle? Part of the radio suspension system.

And, the best thing of all, this hooktender is packing WEDGES!:clap::clap::clap:
attachment.php

They're doing a pretty decent job. The hooktender was ahead in rigging so was working with the crew. The bottom of the unit is skidder ground, the top is yarder.

It was definitely a Monday today. Problem with a truck and then I had to get pulled back on the road-- I thought there was road under the slash. :cry: No harm to pickup or me. The truck was not involved. I just picked a bad place to park. :cry:

Radios should be mandatory when working in the woods IMHO... They're good for safety and keeping everyone on the same page.

Radio Fashion

I hate seeing stuff like that:angry:I guess that's just a sign of the times...Montana timber industry is pathetic right now:(.

I guess I must have been ahead of the times in the loggers fashion department. Here are some pics of myself falling timber in Concrete Washington Jan of '97. Except our radios were Huge, as compared to the little compact ones now. Here are my pics, and be nice people...I know, I looked like I was 10 years old, but I was actually 19 and married...yes I got started way too young:monkey:.:
scan0007.jpg
scan0008.jpg

And look! I was even wearing safety glasses...I was a good little busheler!
scan0009.jpg
scan0010.jpg

I Can't believe I used to carry an axe around with me all the time.
scan0011.jpg

Last edited:
Radio Safety

Radios should be mandatory when working in the woods IMHO... They're good for safety and keeping everyone on the same page.

:agree2: I can't remember how many times I used my radio for convenience, not to mention getting hurt and recruiting some help to get me out of the brush; besides we had to have one if they were flying us in so that we could communicate with the pilots. Columbia would offer them to everyone, as long as there were enough to go around. A lot of guys would keep them in their pack-sacks, which is fine, unless you get pinned down, or busted up. I remember my Father-in-Law always lecturing me about wearing my radio in a chest-pack:chatter:, and sure enough he set left his in his pack, and ended up busting his leg:jawdrop: He had to crawl a long distance to get to it; I gave him a hard time about that one :rant: You don't even have to have a chest pack anymore, although the chest-packs are nice, especially if you are busheling, as you can keep a write-in-the-rain tablet in there. When I was working in Alaska, I always had a little radio (Motorola, etc), in the pocket of my hickory shirt with a little lanyard looped through the button hole to keep from losing it. They can be worth their weight in gold!:)

:agree2: I can't remember how many times I used my radio for convenience, not to mention getting hurt and recruiting some help to get me out of the brush; besides we had to have one if they were flying us in so that we could communicate with the pilots. Columbia would offer them to everyone, as long as there were enough to go around. A lot of guys would keep them in their pack-sacks, which is fine, unless you get pinned down, or busted up. I remember my Father-in-Law always lecturing me about wearing my radio in a chest-pack:chatter:, and sure enough he set left his in his pack, and ended up busting his leg:jawdrop: He had to crawl a long distance to get to it; I gave him a hard time about that one :rant: You don't even have to have a chest pack anymore, although the chest-packs are nice, especially if you are busheling, as you can keep a write-in-the-rain tablet in there. When I was working in Alaska, I always had a little radio (Motorola, etc), in the pocket of my hickory shirt with a little lanyard looped through the button hole to keep from losing it. They can be worth their weight in gold!:)

Yup, safety, convenience... And we didn't use a talky-tooter to hook, we used radio commands.

With a good chest pack on, you forget you're even wearing a radio.

Your large radio looks the size of what I have. I don't carry it much because of the size. And, they used to be the big ones when I first started out. I should be thankful!

The cutters had their radios clipped to their suspenders. It looked handy, but fragile.

Your large radio looks the size of what I have. I don't carry it much because of the size. And, they used to be the big ones when I first started out. I should be thankful!

The cutters had their radios clipped to their suspenders. It looked handy, but fragile.

Patty, how's the weather over there? It's hotter than Satan's taint over here. :dizzy:

I just saw the DNRC chopper out and about, so they must be gearing up for fire season... It's amazing how quick stuff dries out in this heat.

Patty, how's the weather over there? It's hotter than Satan's taint over here. :dizzy:

I just saw the DNRC chopper out and about, so they must be gearing up for fire season... It's amazing how quick stuff dries out in this heat.

Unlike Seattle, we've gotten rain. Thursday was foggy. Since then it has warmed up and is supposed to hit near or at 80 tomorrow and be warm. :(
I prefer working in fog like we had last week. The nights have been in fortyish and it makes for chilly mornings. I hope that continues. No rise in the precaution level, the punky stuff is still wet enough to get pants muddy when sliding over it--I don't jump. :) The farmers are all cutting their hay now. There was a small patch of snow in the ditch yet on the way to a unit.
So, not too bad, but I'll get really cranky when it warms up. I'll start early tomorrow cuz I have skyline corridors to work on.

Unlike Seattle, we've gotten rain. Thursday was foggy. Since then it has warmed up and is supposed to hit near or at 80 tomorrow and be warm. :(
I prefer working in fog like we had last week. The nights have been in fortyish and it makes for chilly mornings. I hope that continues. No rise in the precaution level, the punky stuff is still wet enough to get pants muddy when sliding over it--I don't jump. :) The farmers are all cutting their hay now. There was a small patch of snow in the ditch yet on the way to a unit.
So, not too bad, but I'll get really cranky when it warms up. I'll start early tomorrow cuz I have skyline corridors to work on.

It seems like Montana always swings from one extreme to the next... :rolleyes:

It was in the 70's a week ago, and I was in heaven... Yesterday, my digital said 105.5° on the sunny side of the house (not direct sunlight), and the other thermometer in the shade said 86°... I was sweating like I was standing in the shower.

Glad you guys are still midrange temps, I hate the extreme cold, and extreme hot... I'm a middle of the road kind of guy when it comes to my weather. :)

Back