Lickity Log Splitter, Piqua Ohio

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have several parts for the MK348. Electric start Kohler 8.5 hp (I have 2), controller, springs, cable,etc. I'm looking for the tire/rim assembly and will trade. If interested, please email me at [email protected]

New to the site! Been working on restoring/ possibly upgrading my old, possibly from the 50's lickety splitter. Seems to be pretty much all original, including the Kohler motor. I know this is an old thread, but anyone still work on these/ have the PDF manual to it? If it helps, mine does appear to be the 2 stage one. It has 2 control valves. Odd setup. I'm currently reconditioning the cylinder as it was spewing oil. Such a funky set up, can't wait to get this thing running again!

Super3 posted not long ago, he helped me a lot with mine. I'm sure he will see this and respond. One of the guys, a couple years ago, had one that the kick down was not working so he actually put two control levers on his and when it started to bog down, manually hit the second lever, he liked it. The guy that bought out Lickity still has parts, I forget his name. Good luck with your project, Joe.

Oh cool! I didnt think anyone would still have parts for these. I've been working with my local hydraulic shop finding the cylinder seals and as much as could. Figured I'd have to retrofit modern parts for the rest of it, if I couldn't fix something. Let me know if you remember his name, or how to contact him :). Also, I started a Facebook group, called "lickity log splitter" group. Maybe we can get enough people to create an easy resource to find info on these :).

I sold mine, but we get a couple inquiries a year, so I try to follow them. I know seals are still available. The duel/two speed cylinder is rebuildable. I'll do a quick Google and see what I can find about the guy with parts. He was a little pricey, but he had them, Joe.

The o rings (seals) that you need for the cylinder are,
2-#425
1-#329

and 1-#123 if you removed the hollow inner cylinder from the cylinder head back plate.

Thanks for the link! Yeah, I got a lot more results spelling it right lol. And awesome! I went to my local hydraulic shop and got all of the seals. I've taken the cylinder completely apart. My inner piston had a large area about an inch wide and about 6 inches long that had some fairly large pits. I'm debating weather I should leave it alone, or try and either solder or weld the pits up and try to smooth it out. I dont know if welding would warp that hollow piston, I wonder if some.sort of epoxy would be a better choice, like JB weld, or something similar. Found some paint thats pretty close to the original. I've already got the large piston painted yellow, and rear plate painted red. Almost ready to paint the outer cylinder yellow. All of my stickers/ decals are completely unreadable. I've got the measurements of the "lickity log splitter" logo. Just gotta find someone who makes decals and have it remade.

My valves worked well, and feel nice and tight, but one of them was leaking on one side, just gotta see why. I'm guessing another o-ring.

Post up pics when you get it done.

Here's mine after a rebuild several yrs ago.

P1020302 (Small).JPG

Awesome! Thanks :D When you rebuilt yours, did you replace the base, I assume is wooden? Mine was covered in grease and oil, and am thinking about replacing it, dont know what kind of wood to use, weather regular pressure treaded pine, or oak, or is it not wood, but some sort of composite? I'd doesn't seem to be rotted anywhere despite being left outside for what looks like its entire life. Kind of why I'm questioning weather its actually wood or not.

Mine has 2 by pine, untreated, painted.
It was in good shape and I didn't replace it.

I bent the worn out top plate on it and had to replace that.

Mine were pretty soggy and rotted so I milled a couple White Birch boards for it. When I showed them to the guy that was buying it, he begged to keep them, so I let them go with the machine, Joe.

Oh cool! I didnt think anyone would still have parts for these. I've been working with my local hydraulic shop finding the cylinder seals and as much as could. Figured I'd have to retrofit modern parts for the rest of it, if I couldn't fix something. Let me know if you remember his name, or how to contact him :). Also, I started a Facebook group, called "lickity log splitter" group. Maybe we can get enough people to create an easy resource to find info on these :).
Do you still have the Facebook group? I couldn't find it.

Thanks

I was reading some of your old posts. I was wondering if you know of a Lickity Splitter for sale Thanks
Hello - I saw your post from a while back. I saw a Lickity Splitter on Craigslist in Athens Ohio that is listed for $500. There isn't much info on it so you'd have to contact the guy if you're interested.

Back