Lifespan of a saw engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know with out a doubt my 044 has a minimum of 3000 hrs. So fara new seal on the fly wheel main crank bearing. A deteriorated fuel line and i.m going t rebuild the carb. Lots of filter cleaning spark plug changes same mix since I bought it. 150 plus compression original piston and rings. Its Impressed me with its reliablility.

Beater Sihls...

Of course I know guys that buy saws and trade them in when the warranty is up and get a new one.:jawdrop: Of course those guys don't clean the air filter at all, and run under 89 octane octane fuel.:dizzy: They run them very hard also, beat on them.:dizzy: :)

Yah, that seems to be what is for sale on Ebay most of the time. Used and abused beaters. Buy a new Stihl and run it into the ground, sell it for 70% of its value on Ebay and go buy a new one. Even if you destroy a Stihl, it is worth 30% on Ebay as a parts saw. :monkey:

Yea, what everyone said. If you maintain it you cant kill it. I have an old 029 I have been wanting to blow for years so I can justify buying a new saw. I have too many and the only way I can get another is if one blows. I have done every thing I can to send this saw to a better place including milling 10 oak beams 4inches x10 inches x 20 feet. I ran that saw non stop for 2 days making those barn joyces and it runs better today than the day I bought it. It has cut hundreds of cords of wood and taken too many stumps off at ground level to count. I decided that It will never die because I maintain it, i keep my filters clean, run a rich oil mix, rich carb adjust and have the muffler opened way up so it can breath. This sucks cause im never gona get a new saw:bang: :bang: :bang:

my husky 61 is very old (1970's). it was formerly owned by a logger, who took very good care of it. It has had a new piston and rings, bearings, but other than that just regular cleaning, maintencae, and 94 octane (Chevron in canada), rich oilmix, new plugs monthly, and a prefilter on the aircleaner. I've milled with it, this winter i cut 30 cords of firewood, sometimes sawing for 14 hours a day, only stopping to refuel/clean/reoil. Still going.

I have had a 1997 husqvarna 55 that I use pretty much daily and it's still going good, it's all maintenence. And my 51 is a 1993 and it's like new still used maybe 500 hours.

Longevity = how often do you clean your airfilter? What mix ratio and brand of oil do do use.? I find saw dust inside the crankcase on the used saws I purchased. Do they run on wood?

My new 2100, 2101, 266se, 240sg professional, cut 50+ cords per year, I started in 1980 with the 2100/240sg then picked up the 266 and 2101 soon after. I cut till my sons took over around 2000. But my mix was 38:1 husky oil.

My thoughts are don’t cut wood bigger than the saw can handle, use the correct two stroke oil. Mix it a tad oil rich. Keep your chain razor sharp. Don’t lug the saw.
Maintenance is the key to longevity.

I’m hard on equipment. One thing I never did was to record the compression after break in. Then check every other year. The minute the compression starts to drop off re ring it.

Some years ago I read Stihl Pro saws were rated at 2000 hours, everything about the saw, engine, fuel tank, handlebar. That is fifty 40 hr work weeks of moderate use with recommended maintenance.

Until the 90s the paper mills had bush camps of loggers here In northwestern Ontario. It is done by private contractors now and the bush is small aqnd they are chipping every small piece of scrap.There used to be some beautiful timber but greed is greed it is now almost all clear cut off so much for the pristine Canadian forest.
Back since the early seventies the saws primarily were Sthil Husky jonsededs. In fact Noro Saw And Marine In ThunderBay was the largest seller of Husqvarna saws in north america.
I asked them what the life of a saw was in the bush camps they said around two thousand hours.
When I bought my huskavarna 162 in 79 he threw in a case of Castroll mix oil he said to mix 20 to one I showed him the manual where it said if you use Husky oil 50 to one. He and his partner laughed and said go ahead you will be back to buy another saw in a couple of days.

I like the way some guy's add hrs up on there saws- I work 8hr days 5 days a week and only have 2 weeks off a year so that means my saw gets 2,000 hrs put on it a year.
WTF really none stop for 8hrs? Ok yeah we believe you LOL
Don't know why I'm even bothering but say you get 20min out of a tank of gas that's 24 tanks in 8hrs but no time is taken off for refilling the saw? Or sharpening or time taken to walk move to cut timber no time to do anything but cut.
They must just stand in one spot all day with someone dumping logs in front of them to keep cutting every minute of an 8hr day and not to forget the magic gas tank that never runs dry lol

When I did firewood I matched the saws to the diameter of the trees. I didn’t bury my small 40 cc saw with a 16” bar into an 18” trunk. I had the 266/2100 for that. I cringe when I see a small saw trying to do the work of a bigger saw. One saw can’t cover it all. Of course it’s hard on the saw too.

A eight hour day that’s four hours cutting, four hours loading, est.

I like the way some guy's add hrs up on there saws- I work 8hr days 5 days a week and only have 2 weeks off a year so that means my saw gets 2,000 hrs put on it a year.
WTF really none stop for 8hrs? Ok yeah we believe you LOL
Don't know why I'm even bothering but say you get 20min out of a tank of gas that's 24 tanks in 8hrs but no time is taken off for refilling the saw? Or sharpening or time taken to walk move to cut timber no time to do anything but cut.
They must just stand in one spot all day with someone dumping logs in front of them to keep cutting every minute of an 8hr day and not to forget the magic gas tank that never runs dry lol

Exactly. Trigger time is the real metric (and idling time I suppose?). With the autotune saws this figure is actually verifiable at the dealership. The chip records everything, hours at run, idle, number of successful starts, failed starts etc. I'd be interested to know if there is a difference in longevity between autotune and manual carb on similar models, since autotune supposably self regulates for air filter condition, etc.

Exactly. Trigger time is the real metric (and idling time I suppose?). With the autotune saws this figure is actually verifiable at the dealership. The chip records everything, hours at run, idle, number of successful starts, failed starts etc. I'd be interested to know if there is a difference in longevity between autotune and manual carb on similar models, since autotune supposably self regulates for air filter condition, etc.
We will never see a verifiable 1 year old mtronic or Autotune saw with the operater working 8hr days 5 days a week with 2,000 working hrs on it thats fact.
Idling time is not a measuring of how many working hrs a saw has in it but I guess some like to dream lol

When I did firewood I matched the saws to the diameter of the trees. I didn’t bury my small 40 cc saw with a 16” bar into an 18” trunk. I had the 266/2100 for that. I cringe when I see a small saw trying to do the work of a bigger saw. One saw can’t cover it all. Of course it’s hard on the saw too.

A eight hour day that’s four hours cutting, four hours loading, est.
Wrong bill that's 8hrs run time on ya saw lol

I remember watching a vid of Stihl testing a 046 years ago.
It had it's fuel line run to a huge fuel tank and mounted to some dyno and run under load none stop.
Out of that testing Stihl clamed 2000 working hrs the 046 will run as it was designed and stamped it.
How many hrs after 2000 they got out of the saw before something failed I don't remember could have been that again who knows.

I rebuilt my Sachs Dolmar 133 to like new and put an hour meter on it that works off engine vibration. I am just a homeowner who cuts 2 cords a year to keep my shop warm in the winter. I'm sure the saw will outlast me, but I like the hour meter.

I rebuilt my Sachs Dolmar 133 to like new and put an hour meter on it that works off engine vibration. I am just a homeowner who cuts 2 cords a year to keep my shop warm in the winter. I'm sure the saw will outlast me, but I like the hour meter.

Latest posts

Back