Lifted TW6

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joesell

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a TW6 that feeds into an old hay elevator. I'm trying to raise the beam up about 6". I know some people put the splitter on car ramps or Jack's, but I'm a little nervous about what would happen if a split got wedged in the conveyor and rocked the splitter back. My kids sometimes split for me and they aren't always very observant. So me and a buddy got to brainstorming and we came up with bigger wheels. He offered up a set of 24.5" budd wheels and tires off a semi. They would stand almost 44" tall and would lift the axles up 14" or so. Only problem is I think they'll be in the way of the log lift. I also have a set of 17" truck rims with 32" tall tires on them. That sould give me an extra 10" or 12". That might be a better option but I'll have to fit it up to see. I know I have to make an adapter for the rims. Does anyone see a reason it wouldn't work, if it clears the log lift? This splitter will never be towed on the road. And I know I'll have to extend both legs as well.

Another up side is it should roll easier in the field.

The big wheels,will give you nothing but trouble-i had the TW 2 hd and it was built for little people...Went to HF,got jack stands,raised it 12 inch,but you need to be on a very hard surface..

I got the 6 ton stands,so i can use them later for other projects-i hated that splitter,got rid of it...

Interested to see how any of these mods mentioned work out

I split in a field, so no hard surface for jack stands. Setting the machine on a couple rims might work. Would be easier then modding a set of bigger rims/tires. I'm not stuck on this one idea. I'm open to anything that'll raise the machine and be safe against kick back.

As far as selling it goes, I can't imagine anything else would be faster then this for OWB splits. Except if I spent the $300ish for a true auto valve.

If you are a welder or know one may be time to cut the axle loose and use some tubing and raise the splitter up. Had a buddy that had a TW-6 and didn't like the working height of the splitter so that's what he did. He did reconfigure the log lift also.

Back