Lifting rounds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swannie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Here is a lift I set up to load rounds onto the truck on site. Once home where the splitter is I can then use same lift to go from truck to splitter. On bigger pieces I can leave 1/2 on the lift after splitting and swing out of the way while I work the 1st 1/2 up. The post lift came with a manual winch which was swapped out for a 12v 2000# with power in/out control.
attachment.php

johnha, truck is a 77 Ford F-250 4x4 (one of the old highboy types).
To transport the lift just close the tailgate, loosen 4 setscrews/bolts and remove the lower cross brace/foot and vertical support post. Then slide unit forward and swing to one side or the other and hook cable end under bumper and snug up. The 2 pc's from lower supports go in back of truck.
The receiver hitch as set up on this truck is low enough and set up so that the 4' pc of 2"x2"x1/4" sq tube that the post is mounted to can slide thru and rides just under the spare tire under the truck. The nice thing about the hoist is that if I want to I could set up a spare post on say a flatbed trailer, etc. and just move the upper head assy over to it for use there.

Swannie said:
Here is a lift I set up to load rounds onto the truck on site. Once home where the splitter is I can then use same lift to go from truck to splitter. On bigger pieces I can leave 1/2 on the lift after splitting and swing out of the way while I work the 1st 1/2 up. The post lift came with a manual winch which was swapped out for a 12v 2000# with power in/out control.
attachment.php

Swannie,

Looks like a nice setup. Just curious, what model splitter do you have there?

Tom

Last edited:
Tom, thats one of the 24 ton Harbor Freight models. I added a couple of wing tables on it made up out of some scrap 7ga cs I had on hand. Splitter works OK for what it is, cycle time is not the fastest but for an individuals use its acceptable

Swannie said:
Tom, thats one of the 24 ton Harbor Freight models. I added a couple of wing tables on it made up out of some scrap 7ga cs I had on hand. Splitter works OK for what it is, cycle time is not the fastest but for an individuals use its acceptable

Thanks Swannie.

A few of us here have been wondering about the quality of the Harbor Freight models. The wing tables are a great idea. From the pictures in the HF catalog, it appears that the wood may hit the pump after being split due to the location of the motor with respect to the splitting area. I'm sure the tables help protect the pump. Does your splitter have the Robin 9HP motor? If so, what's your impression of it. Any other comments would be welcome.

Tom

Tom, this splitter is a couple of years old now and has the Briggs 8hp Intek engine, so far it starts on 1st or 2nd pull every time. Only thing on this engine I've noticed is some mid throttle vibration so I push the throttle on up until it is not as noticeable. I've not had any experience with the Robin engines so I can't say anything on them.

The pump is close to the work area but I've not had any trouble with hitting it. When splitting vertical the pump is where you would want to lean peices while while you finish chunking up other blocks, with the wings on that problem is taken care of.

Over all quality is about what you should expect for the price, OK for homeowner use but not what you want for commercial or production use. It does come with the wood stripper on the bottom of the cyl in case the wedge sticks in a tough piece and needs to be backed out. If I were to ever replace the detent valve I would move it about 12 inches to a more convenient location for both vertical and horizontal use. For what used machines go for in this area if I decide to upgrade to a different splitter I figure a good portion of the cost of this one could be recouped.

Latest posts

Back