Light small pruning saw whats best

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

langdon19

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I currently have an 066 for cutting firewood and it has served me well for 6 years with just a coil going, i'd like to purchase a small similar saw. I'd prefer a stihl ( thats what i have) but am open to any saw.
Things i like about the 066 that i'm after in a small version
2 locking nuts on the bar (had a previous saw with one and had problems)
Carb that i can work on (jets that can be removed and cleaned)
Light
Last the rest of my life (say 30 years)
Heaps of cheap parts on ebay (coils carbs etc)
Reliable
Any ideas and input appreciated
Cheers

I guess it will be chopping and pruning medium to small branches, olive trees and such.

Stihl 026,260,261. Oldest to newest in stihls 50cc offering. They make good limbing saws. Light enough while still having good power.

Reckon I'm a wimp! When I think small and light for limbing, etc. I'm thinking my Echo CS-346 or CS-352 or something similar. Certainly not a Stihl MS261. I've got bigger saws but gravitate to the smaller lighter ones until I need to step up. I've cut a fair amount of ~12" oak with the Echos and never felt really constrained. Sure, the 036Pro is faster but the Echo is likely already in hand.

I do it for firewood and fun, not a living so that may have some impact.

Actually I would prefer a cordless electric saw for pruning, I have lithium batteries that are 15 years old and still have 80 percent of their new capacity. That's WAY longer than the carb diaphragms last in my small saws, I seem to put carb kits in the crummy things every few years.
Instant on, super flat torque curve, no tuning, 100 percent chance of it running after it sits idle with a storage charge for 6 months, what's not to like?
Look at the RC world, everybody is moving to electric power, it's just way more convenient. Can't wait for prices on electric cars to come down, by the time I kick the bucket, I probably won't own an IC engine.

Yeah, for small work in stuff that won’t see much use I’d go cordless electric. Less stuff to cause problems in the driveline side. Fuel these days is not conducive to sitting for any period of time, and the smaller outdoor equipment is finally coming in par with the gas powered stuff. I mean, has anybody seen the Milwaukee M18 stuff? There’s no way I can in good faith recommend gas powered trimmers/saws/blowers to a homeowner anymore.

Thirty year old cordless tools? Dad has a set of Dewalt drills (you know, the ones that used nickel-cadmium cells) from the 1990s and it’s 2019. They’ll last just fine if they’re not abused.

Yup, as I type this I'm charging the lipo batteries for my electric mower. The lipos replaced the sealed lead acid, weigh 1/4 the amount, and have a larger capacity. Run time is 45 minutes on a charge, more than enough to do my large corner lot. Oh and it's lighter than the gas powered one which I only use for bagging leaves in the fall now. The batteries are very understressed, 3 years in so far and I expect them to last a lot longer.

Hi all
I currently have an 066 for cutting firewood and it has served me well for 6 years with just a coil going, i'd like to purchase a small similar saw. I'd prefer a stihl ( thats what i have) but am open to any saw.
Things i like about the 066 that i'm after in a small version
2 locking nuts on the bar (had a previous saw with one and had problems)
Carb that i can work on (jets that can be removed and cleaned)
Light
Last the rest of my life (say 30 years)
Heaps of cheap parts on ebay (coils carbs etc)
Reliable
Any ideas and input appreciated
Cheers

If you mean actually pruning trees, hard to beat a good handsaw and pruners or battery powered saw.
If you mean removing and processing tree limbs of downed trees then the 1123 series Stihl is probably the cheapest series to rebuild in terms of aftermarket. Reliable, sure. Last the rest of your life, maybe. Lightweight, good bit lighter than the 066. Currently $300.00 new for a MS250.

The main drawbacks to the battery powered saws is cold weather work and rain.

Stihl MS 180 will comfortably do up to and even over 12” dia green wood and a 16” bar and I can hold the saw from the handle with a single finger.
Here I am collecting Cherry wood for carving, the logs ranged from 6” to 13” and the saw cut beautifully, I carried it all around the orchard for hours and didn’t tire me at all :)

I’m surprised people are suggesting 261’s for pruning.:dizzy:
E1C6E8AA-4E4C-4FDC-9098-89EADA317237.jpeg

Thanks for the replies guys, i need to research what has been put up. I never thought about an electric saw but it will now.
I have a heap of good size trees to reduce the size of and a hand saw will just kill me, need something that cuts quickly.
I have a pole saw along with the 066, need a lighter saw for all the trees i have which are too tall. I am trying to cut the height out of them to get a view back and also to get sunlight back on a lawn.

To me a "pruning saw" is a small, top-handle saw, with the biggest concern being the weight. Perhaps the Echo 2511T is the current saw to beat in that category - it's very lightweight. If you're looking for something with a little more cut capacity, a 40-50cc saw is probably where it's at. I like Stihl, so that's probably the 241 or 261, but I think you can safely go for just about any saw in that class from any of the major producers and be happy with your purchase, especially if you're buying a "pro" line saw.

Back