Lighter/thinner #2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EngineerDude

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This one doesn't belong here either (sorry rec climbers), but I didn't want to clog the other thread with it, but wanted to post it close-by.

Just as a partial response to the many who think I'm nuts and am going to be killed, or maimed or ...., I want it noted that late last week I heard chainsaws down the street. With the thought that since a crew was already in the neighborhood, I might get an attractive price on dropping this aspen I've been talking about (The earlier quote was $350; it was at that point that the idea of doing this myself picked up momentum.) So I went down to watch them and talk price.

After watching them, I didn't ask price. Why? Because I didn't want these bozos on my property.

There were taking down a 50-60 foot pine that was 5 feet from a house, 18 inches at a time. Two guys standing in the working end of a cherry picker, no fall arrest or other PPE apparent. Wearing t-shirts. The guy with the saw was standing on limbs on the opposite side of the tree doing the cutting. No rope, no lanyard, nothing!

So how are they doing this? The guy with the saw is making horizontal cuts, while one of the guys in the lift was holding the top of the log. The chainsaw was progressing through the log, straight toward the holder's chest. Chainsaw guy would stop cutting as he got to the edge of the log, while simultaneously the holder was pulling back on the log to keep the bar from getting pinched.

Then the cutter would move down to another limb. At one point in this process the cutter was standing on a limb no more than what I'd estimate was 1-1/2 inches thick. He bounced on it a bit to make sure it would hold him ... while holding a running saw, a good 30 feet up, and again, no rope.

I couldn't stand to stay and watch!

I will do this infinitely more safely!

gee, and I thought I saw the worse. The guy I saw was removing a sycamore by cutting notches to stand on/in as ladderrungs all the way up. At least he was wearing a leather belt around the tree and himself.

The bad part is, they'll get your neighbors tree down without incident, thereby enboldening themselves for future endevours. where they were lucky once to survive to completion will become the SOP on their jobs.
-Ralph

S**t or get off the pot!

Look ED, these guys you saw doing this removal - ridiculous for sure, and they don't come close to representing arborists from a safety, or apparently from a professionality stand point. I see idiots with chainsaws all the time. And have even finished a few tree pruning jobs after they fell 20-30 feet and broke some bones.

If your dead set to remove this tree - do it, some of these guys say they'll help with pointers. There is nothing stopping any home owner from pruning there own trees. All I have to say is there is a reason mechanics get paid very well to fix cars and lawyers to represtent and doctors to fix do-it-yourself tree pruners. Just accept that this tree removal should be done by proffesional arborists with a solid reputation and all of the equipment (a bucket), I saw the pics on the last thread.

If nothing goes wrong, that'll prove angels watch over you. I just hope nobody has to here that something didn't go right.

Most accidents with climbers occur inside the first year (inexperience) or after five years (to comfortable). Roll the dice!

Best wishes on whichever direction you go.

People drive without seat belts, smoke, drink and eat to excess...is that the measure anyone uses for the way that they live their lives?

You're right, those guys are asking to be killed.

i saw a fellow climb a 30 foot ladder then go up about 10 more feet nothing but a saw ...he then proceeded to cut a 40 foot top out of a tree one leg wraped around the tree .... the top fell into another tree i couldnt watch .... 3 years now the top is still hanging there about 500 yards from my shop ...... im not so sure this fellow made it .....as i heard serins

I cut down a big pine that a retired millright had worked on untill his wife and kids made him stop. He had climbed up the tree wearing a full body harness (Hi-rise, bridge builder type) securing himself with lanyards that clipped to the D ring behind his back. Every couple of feet on opposite sides of the tree he hammered in spikes he had made by grinding 10" lag bolts into spikes. If he had fallen he wouldn't have fallen far and while unorthadox I think he would have managed to cut it down. This guy was in good shape, smart and this is what he figured out on his own. Probably a millright has more pratical knowledge about physics than an engineer anyways but I was impressed with the guys initiative and balls. Engineer Dude, after all the talk, please don't think you have to prove anything, no one will think less of you if you get an Asplundh guy to do it after work for cash and beer.

EngineerDude said:
I might get an attractive price on dropping this aspen I've been talking about (The earlier quote was $350; it was at that point that the idea of doing this myself picked up momentum.) So I went down to watch them and talk price.

After watching them, I didn't ask price. Why? Because I didn't want these bozos on my property.

Sounds like a good decision, you got to see a hack crew first hand and were smart enough to know they were wrong and move on. 350.00 would be high price for that job in my area, how many different estimates did you get? Did the possibility of having someone cut the top out and you drop the shaft ever come up in the estimate. When I estimate I give a few different scenarios for the customer, cut & leave , leave the shaft, remove all, ect, all affect price. I try to give potentials a few options.

When I was younger and dumber I took down one of my own trees, about a 30-40 foot tall laurel oak. I had bought a saddle and had done soem climbing previously. It was a straight pole and I had no spikes...but I had a flipline to secure my person to the tree. I made steps to climb up in it treehouse style. Used the handsaw to cut down the top and cut the rest with my 009 in 4' sections a little at a time. I didn't get hurt, but I never did it again. It gave me a better appreciation for what you guys do and I decided I'll probably leave it to the pros or get some better equipment at least before attempting any other jobs. But to the original poster....if you are a recreational climber and already have all the appropriate saftey equipment, suitable tools and some serious guts....why not do it?

Jbird said:
$350... Tree removal... or

$110 grillion
$95 wirecore lanyard and micro juster...QUOTE]

Jbird, don't mislead the guy. These items can be replaced for about $20 worth of rope and a couple carabiners. Actually- one carabiner.

love
nick

Nick,

I would guess this thread is in the rec climbing forum because a lot of rec climbers can't help but strap on at least a hand saw if they own property that has trees, and don't many trees beg at least a little bit of light trimming? And if that dead branch is just a bit too much for the hand saw... well, you can take it from there.

Rec climbers that spend time on this great forum, certainly come away with an appreciation for risks and risk minimizing techniques. Probably much more than a hack climber that does not have such a resourse available to him or her. And if they pay attention, will pick up a lot of tree trimming techniques that your average homeowner or hack have no appreciation for.

It is great that many pro climbers point out these risks to wannabees, but you should give some of us a bit more credit that we can sort out those risks and make an informed decision as to accepting those risks. I know my current limitations. I wouldn't hesitate to drop a dead 6" branch 20' up with my little 019, but I would not attempt to top out a tree that cannot just be flopped. That is when I will call an arbo.

Wonder if EngineerDude ever got his tree down??? Maybe it just fell down.

Larry

Hey EngineerDude, hows that tree going. I too am an engineer, PE cert and all, but took a year off to get outside a little less then a year ago. Working for a tree company climbing I can tell you that while anilizing forces may be easy for you there is nothing like having someone experienced show you how to do it. There is no way for you to know what will hold you and how big a piece you can take without experience and time with a working crew. Even after the year I did there is way more I dont know then do. Oh and you may want to watch out for that tree of yours because it may be easy for one of these guys but the wrong cut and you are in some big trouble. I am not trying to be mean or the bad guy, just don't want to read about you in the paper. Have fun rec. climbing and enjoy the air up there.

Back